Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

MK5 Pistons RECALLED

Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:55 pm

Received a call from out west today from someone who had take his MK5 to his local Scubapro authorized store and the Scubapro "tech" tells him they can't work on MK5's anymore because Scubapro recalled the pistons years ago and didn't make any new ones.....I asked if he had been shown a copy of the recall from Scubapro? He said no but he was going to call Scubapro directly for verification......Some days.....
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

couv
Master Diver

Re: MK5 Pistons RECALLED

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:17 pm

I do not remember hearing of a recall, however there was a piston design changed. The original pistons have the same stem diameter from tip to piston head. The newer pistons stems have larger diameter near the piston head.

I'll try to dig up more information, but it sounds like the LDS is blowing smoke. If the piston was recalled, the regulator would be recalled.

Edit:

Hopefully DA Aquamaster will weigh in. Here is a quote from a post he made on that other board back in 2012

....."I'm not sure when Scubapro switched to the stepped piston in the Mk 5, but Scubapro has created some liability issues for some shops/techs by recommending the earlier style pistons no longer be used. Should one of the older straight stemmed pistons fail or cookie cutter the seat, the liability for the tech and shop is now pretty large as they are violating Scubapro's service clinic recommendations by putting one back in service. Since replacement pistons are no longer available, some shops will be hesitant to return a Mk 5 to service with the early style straight stemmed piston."

For the thread, see https://www.scubaboard.com/community/th ... ts.424787/
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

couv
Master Diver

Re: MK5 Pistons RECALLED

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:05 am

I suppose it depends on how one defines a "recall." I automatically think of the auto industry where the manufacturer contacts the consumer directly to have a product brought in for a safety issue. I think of items like the swivel retainer to be an "upgrade" done when the regulator is brought in for service. The more robust yokes are another example of the same ilk.

The bottom line is that the LDS misinformed the customer who contacted Bryan. New pistons were made available and the only way to find out if his/her reg had the old piston would be to remove the cap.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Return to “Vintage Scubapro Regulators”