georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Mk V seat (A242) leak.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:33 am

Setting up my Mk V for a boat trip to Catalina last weekend. I attached my 2nd gen MK V and 108's to my test tank at home - 1500 psi. Turned on tank and cycled reg - all ok. Get to the boat the following morning, attached reg to tank, turned on and had a big leak thru the pinhole at seat retainer.
I didn't have a pin spanner on me at the boat but I got home and opened it up, seat looked ok but I flipped the seat over, and now no leak -
Is that acceptable to do? The profiles look different to me on each end of the seat, but it doesn't leak anymore . . . I'm not going to die am I?
I see Bryan has Mk V first stage rebuild kits in stock - I know, I know :)
Thanks

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Mk V seat (A242) leak.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:06 am

The original hp seats were flat but changed to concave for many reasons. Luis or Couv would be better at a detailed history of this than I am.
What is the IP at since you flipped the seat?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

couv
Master Diver

Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:36 pm

Is it OK to flip a HP seat in a MK 5/6/7/8/9/10 etc? Yes, as Bryan mentioned, if it is the type that is flat on both sides; but doubtful that was the problem. Most likely the culprit was the -013 o-ring that seals the HP seat not seated correctly. See item #4 in the annotated files. While you are studying the file, scroll down to page 2 and read the "Special Engineering Notes" for information on how to properly seat that bugger.

Another possibility could be the retainer not being seated all the way leaving just enough room for air to get under the seat, but not past the retainer seal.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:22 pm

I'm working on reproducing the seal that Scubapro replaced the 013 O-ring with.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:51 am

Nice Bryan!

I find it interesting that when SP went to the 10+, it eliminated that o-ring, and went to an o-ring on the seat.....

I wonder if the MK-5/10 (etc.) cone seat with a o-ring groove in it would be a better solution? Probably a costly option though compared to just installing the o-ring properly...
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

couv
Master Diver

Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:49 pm

Bryan wrote:I'm working on reproducing the seal that Scubapro replaced the 013 O-ring with.

Heck man, don't stop there. Go whole hog and have a teflon seat made with dimples on both sides so it can be flipped. :D
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:01 pm

couv wrote:
Bryan wrote:I'm working on reproducing the seal that Scubapro replaced the 013 O-ring with.

Heck man, don't stop there. Go whole hog and have a teflon seat made with dimples on both sides so it can be flipped. :D
I'm waiting for the check you were sending me for R&D to arrive before I stared on that version....

Right now if we can get material, size and durometer correct I think we will have a seal we can work with. The dimple will make itself after being in place for a while.

georgeaustin
Master Diver

ScubaPro Mk V 1st stage leak

Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:12 pm

Thanks for input -
So I brought out my SP Mk 5 rig last weekend, got all the items hooked up into it - spg, inflator hose, both seconds - charged it at the tank and checked for leaks and IP. Coiled it up and stuck it in the dive bag.
I get to the boat and reconnect it onto the tank and had a serious leak through the pinhole in the retainer cap.
Since I didn't have a pin spanner to take off the cap with me, I just dived all day with a loaner.
Yesterday I removed the retainer cap and inspected the seat (A242) looked a little worse for wear and tear but really not that bad - put it back together and onto a tank - still leaking.
Pulled off the cap again and end for ended the seat but I didn't expect a satisfactory result as it looked to me like the ends of the seat have somewhat different profiles on each end.
Put everything back together, tightened the cap into the bore and opened the tank valve.
Wow- ok, no leak out the pinhole. It seems fixed but Im still wondering if this is a prudent way to dive this rig while I wait for my Mk V first stage service pack to arrive for a complete new seat installation.
I'm wondering why each end of the seat looks to me like they have different profiles - of course, maybe it's just my failing eyes. . .
Thanks

georgeaustin
Master Diver

Re: ScubaPro Mk V 1st stage leak

Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:21 pm

Whoops - nevermind - I lost the original post about this issue - I found it on another page

georgeaustin
Master Diver

Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:30 pm

I lost this post - ok - the IP is 130 psi

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:52 pm

If its not leaking and the IP is stable I'd say go diving.

georgeaustin
Master Diver

Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:55 pm

Interesting - reading the Special Engineering Notes.
It says you're going to need LP air to remove the HP seat from the cap - actually when I first removed the cap, the HP seat was pushed out or fell out during unscrewing the cap and resting inside the bore of the regulator body already.
I suspect air got behind the poorly seated, partially extruded o ring and loosened up the seat or cocked it sideways just a tad. Whatever - the seat is nice and tight in the cap now and no leaks.
Thanks for the help

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:55 pm

Struck out on my 1st attempt. Now I'm looking at having some water jet cut. Stay tuned for updates.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:47 am

This was close but still not 100%.......A bit more refinement and I think we have a winner!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Sun May 29, 2016 10:56 am

Where is that located? Looks like a 90 durometer back up oring like the USD solid bar manifolds use.

Return to “Vintage Scubapro Regulators”