vintagefrank
Skin Diver
First Name: Frank

Scubapro Regulator Serial Numbers

Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:38 pm

Hello everyone,

am just trying to sort out when the different Serial numbers were used. In the early days, Scubapro had the numbers on the second stages only, later on first and second stage.

These are the different types of Serial numbers that I have found until now:

1. Second stages

1.1. Sticker:

1.1.1. on top S-XXXX (3-4 digits)
1.1.2. on top I-XXXX, II-XXXX, III-XXXX, V-XXXX, J-XXXX (3-4 digits)
1.1.3. on back XXXXX (5 digits?)

1.2. Stamped:

1.2.1. on back XXXXXX (6 digits)
1.2.2. on back XXXXXXy (6 digits + 1 letter)
1.2.3. on back XXXXXXX (7 digits)
1.2.3. on back XXXXXXXX (8 digits) --> indicates > 1-3/day of year, 4-5 year, 6-8 current number
1.2.4. on back XXXXXXXXX (9 digits)

1.3. Lasered:

1.3.1. on back XXXXXXXXXX(10 digits)

2. First stages

when did they start?

2.1. Stamped 8 digits
2.2. Lasered

Does anybody have knowledge about These different styles? What do they say about the manufacturing date?

If you have an old Scubapro Reg of which you know the year of original purchase - can you send me a Picture and Serial number?

best regards
frank

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Scubapro Regulator Serial Numbers

Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:30 pm

I have no idea when the ones I have were purchased......Do you still want the serial numbers?
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

vintagefrank
Skin Diver

Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:36 pm

Bryan wrote:I have no idea when the ones I have were purchased......Do you still want the serial numbers?
Hi Bryan,

would be interesting too. I´d need a Picture or type of reg according to the Serial number.

Seems there is no-one who can remember....

ovalis
Master Diver

Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:30 pm

I know from the late 60's into at least the mid to late 70's, the first number of the serial # that was on the 2nd stage referred to the year of manufacture. So if it was stamped starting with a 9, then it was 1969, or 2 would be 1972. The earliest stamped bodies that I have found were from 1969. I have a 1968 regulator that has a sticker above the exhaust tee that starts with a 8. I don't have any examples from 1967, so I'm not sure about that year. I believe the 1966 models still had the serial # sticker applied at the mouthpiece area. I have and old Scubapro Technical bulletin that discusses the year of manufacture being the first digit in the serial number.
On a different note, there was another bulletin that discussed the transition from metric threads in the 60's to standard threads later on for the 2 piece clamps that holds the diaphragm cover on the 2nd stage. The metric thread versions used screws with a slotted head, where as the standard threads used screws with an allen head (internal hex head). That's the quick way to know which version you have by looking at the top of the screw head.

vintagefrank
Skin Diver

Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:22 pm

Hi Mike,

thanks a lot for this Informations. Have those 2 Bulletins too. They are from 1974/75.
Serial numbers in 1974 were Setup new like this: 7 Digits for 109s with the first year to indicate the production year, 6 Digits for 108s with the first year to indicate the production year - 6 Digits with 45xxxx were reserved for USI regs (intended line for warehouses that was not realized).

Do you have informations on the informations on the sticker Labels? I-XXXX, II-XXXX, III-XXXX and V-XXXX could refer to the Mark I, II, III and V but what the hell was S-XXXX and J-XXXX used for? Found MK I with V-XXXX which seem so be strange...

thanks
frank

ovalis
Master Diver

Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:36 pm

vintagefrank wrote:Do you have informations on the informations on the sticker Labels? I-XXXX, II-XXXX, III-XXXX and V-XXXX could refer to the Mark I, II, III and V but what the hell was S-XXXX and J-XXXX used for? Found MK I with V-XXXX which seem so be strange...
Frank, I have these same exact questions as you. I assume the same as you as well in respect to the markings before the serial #. I have a MK II first stage with a second stage serial # starting with III. I can only assume that maybe somebody switched the second stage out at some point. The only way to really know is to continue collecting these regulators and document the serial #'s to find a pattern. I too am confused about the S-XXXX & J-XXXX as I have those regulators as well. I can only assume in 1963 that they advertised a regulator that I think was called Polaris if I remember correctly, but have never seen one. I believe that came with & without a J reserve. Quite possible they had the serial # stickers made but did not end up using that regulator and used the stickers for the MK II's & MK III's. This is just a guess on my part, because I've wondered about that same question as well.
Regarding the MK I with V-XXXX, don't forget that when the MK V originally came out in 1965, it was the MK I as we know it today without the 2 port swivel.
In 1965, the MK I was still using the original design from 1964.

vintagefrank
Skin Diver

Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:42 pm

Hi Mike,

my Problem: I have 2 original MK 1 (1.gen) with following Serial numbers V-XXXX. They were produced exactly one after the other, so there was no mix....

frank

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:32 pm

Bronze 06 has a Scubapro Pilot and MK7 that I purchased from the original owner located in Michigan who told me it was one of the first Pilot regulators sold by the shop when they were introduced. Hopefully he can supply you with the serial numbers.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ovalis
Master Diver

Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:44 pm

vintagefrank wrote:my Problem: I have 2 original MK 1 (1.gen) with following Serial numbers V-XXXX. They were produced exactly one after the other, so there was no mix....
You're talking about the 1st gen. MK I, then yes that would be odd to have the V-XXXX.
I have 2 or 3 of those regulators, let me dig them up and see what number is on them.

Didn't you get that MKI (1st gen) still in the box a little while back? That one has the V-XXXX on it?

vintagefrank
Skin Diver

Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:06 pm

Have a 1964 with J-1170 in the box and from possibly 1965/66 (slightly differen Piston) V-561 and V-562

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:37 pm

ovalis wrote:
vintagefrank wrote:my Problem: I have 2 original MK 1 (1.gen) with following Serial numbers V-XXXX. They were produced exactly one after the other, so there was no mix....
You're talking about the 1st gen. MK I, then yes that would be odd to have the V-XXXX.
I have 2 or 3 of those regulators, let me dig them up and see what number is on them.

Didn't you get that MKI (1st gen) still in the box a little while back? That one has the V-XXXX on it?
Are you all referring to the original Mk-1 with the flow by balanced piston that had the (supposedly 100%) recall?

I have one of those.

Anyone knows the reason it was recalled? I have a theory based on the potential failure modes I have analyzed, but would like to know if there is some actual information.

I don’t mean to highjack the thread, so I will split the subject if needed.

Thanks
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

vintagefrank
Skin Diver

Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:49 am

Hi Luis,

referring to Sam Miller and Dick Bonin, the sealing on the Piston shaft was the Problem. It could get stuc in any way and stop air delivery. As I understand, it was prone to get loose. According to Dick, this first stage was a design by Sheerwood Selpac. It was used by Healthways and White Stag too - they had possibly the same supplier (Sherwood Selpac)

regards

frank

ovalis
Master Diver

Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:34 am

Frank,
I was only able to find one of mine at the moment, but I know I have two more that I will look for this weekend.
The one I found is J-644, but it has the exhaust tee on it that used in the mid to late 60's as opposed to their original one that I call the bat wing exhaust tee.
I'm sure it was swapped out at a later time.

Mike

vintagefrank
Skin Diver

Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:56 am

Seems I almost figured out how the Serial numbers work. To explain would take about 4 pages..... quite complex but if you want some informations on your reg - email me.

couv
Master Diver

Sat May 27, 2017 5:27 pm

Hi Frank,

I would like to read your SP S/N interpretation.-email sent.

Thanks,

Couv
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Return to “Vintage Scubapro Regulators”