Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Scubapro jargon; The meaning of S.P.E.C. revised

Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:09 am

Yeah I like Scubapro single hose regs. S.P.E.C. or SPEC is not just the little AP bleed holes found in many of Scubapro's regs. It stands for Silicone Protected Environmental Cap. This SPEC cap (filled with liquid silicon) was an early Scubapro innovation that was created to make SP regs less prone to freezing in cold water. Below is a MK 200 that has the actual SPEC rubber boot on it, the MK 200 is basically a MK 2 upgraded for cold water conditions with a SPEC AP cap and also the addition of A RUBBER BOOT to assist in keeping the AP chamber clean of detritus.
1988-MK200-SPEC-BOOT-(6).jpg
This became a standard option for all MK 2s afterward and Scubapro stopped using the MK 200 designator. The 1993 MK 2 pictured shows the groove for the SPEC BOOT, but has no actual S.P.E.C. AP cap on it.
1993-MK2-(3).jpg
The rubber boot groove was added in 88. A true S.P.E.C. has the AP holes as shown in the 1981 MK2 reg.(see 1981 MK 2 SPEC)
1981-MK2-SPEC.jpg
This feature was available on the MK 5 and 10, I believe, back to the early 1980s or even before.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Re: Scubapro jargon; The meaning of S.P.E.C.

Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:17 am

To make it more confusing for dumb grunts like me, S.P.E.C. is not only rubber booted in some instances but also S.P.E.C. ambient pressure(AP) weep holes in the actual metal cap of SPEC regs, which is filled with liquid silicon.

Give me a break, I'm learning. :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

vintagefrank
Skin Diver
First Name: Frank

Re: Scubapro jargon; The meaning of S.P.E.C. revised

Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:25 pm

Hi Russ,

the MK 200 is not an updated MK 2 - their Piston has different measures.

S.P.E.C. followed the Environmental Caps. Both used Silicone grease - not fluent Silicone. The S.P.E.C. Regulators first had only small holes (app. 1mm), later bigger holes with rubber caps.

regards
frank

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Re: Scubapro jargon; The meaning of S.P.E.C. revised

Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:55 pm

Hey brother, I'm reading! I find this interesting, as Scubapro is a knowledge gap for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Return to “Vintage Scubapro Regulators”