ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

MK5/R109 inquiry

Sun May 24, 2015 6:56 pm

I got the itch to acquire a MK5/R109 Scubapro reg like I had back in the 70's. Any one have a line on one or a rebuild project? Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: MK5/R109 inquiry

Sun May 24, 2015 7:11 pm

I bet Craigslist has plenty of them in your area. 109s get pretty crusty inside if not rinsed thoroughly so look inside first before buying if you can. I have all the parts you need to rebuild it. ..Great Regulators. ......for a single hose. ..
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

reddiver
Lung Diver
First Name: David

Re: MK5/R109 inquiry/2nd stage seat?

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:21 am

I picked up one on Ebay . Rebuilt first stage and working on 2nd stage ( 109) with the kits I got from Bryan. THE question I have is the seat for the 2nd stage.
How do I replace the old seat. I can not tell how it is attached to the poppet. IS it glued ? do I cut it and glue the new on on?
Some advice.
Thanks

REd Diver

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:59 am

Here is a link showing the 2nd stage poppet changes for the 109.
If you have the type that looks like a pencil eraser it cannot be replaced. You will need to update to the Duro poppet if you can find one or to the balanced adjustable kit in the website store.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j3yf3xbqd5dvc ... s.pdf?dl=0

Good luck with your project.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

reddiver
Lung Diver

Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:12 am

Bryan,
Thanks, just ordered the balance conversion kit.

Dave

reddiver
Lung Diver

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:38 am

Received my 2nd stage balance kit for the SP 109 from Bryan. Installed it and I have a couple questions. FIrst, it seems the old spring pad takes up to much space so I left that out when I installed the knob assy. Is there a proper procedure for adjusting the reg. I had to back off on the orifice in order to get the lever to function and be able to get some play on the adjusting knob. How hard or easy to breathe should it be adjusted to ?
Thanks
REd DIver

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:11 am

reddiver wrote:Received my 2nd stage balance kit for the SP 109 from Bryan. Installed it and I have a couple questions. FIrst, it seems the old spring pad takes up to much space so I left that out when I installed the knob assy. Is there a proper procedure for adjusting the reg. I had to back off on the orifice in order to get the lever to function and be able to get some play on the adjusting knob. How hard or easy to breathe should it be adjusted to ?
Thanks
REd DIver
You should not use the old spring pad.....Only the new poppet, spring and balance chamber.

Here are links to the overview of the 109/G250 2nd stage and the adjustment principles from the Scubapro manual. These are located in the Manuals and Catalogs section of the website.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2sw5ei7p8i8k9 ... s.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ulmrz4nii2gqv ... s.pdf?dl=0

reddiver
Lung Diver

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:00 am

Bryan, thanks,

Red Diver

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:13 pm

I had Bryan overhaul a MK5 and two 109s. They came back beautiful and breathe great. I used it for 9 dives over two days on a recent halibut spearfishing trip. I breathed it hard swimming long distances and I couldn't be happier with its performance. Mark. :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:20 pm

MK5/109 definitely a winning combination

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Return to “Vintage Scubapro Regulators”