vintagefrank
Skin Diver
First Name: Frank

Re: Scubapro mk2

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:04 am

Hi Ron,

Scubapro became big with the Piston Regulators but they were not the Inventors - all though they set many improvements.

Rumors say that Sherwood bought the patent for Piston Regulators from the Inventor (unknown) for the Price to be invited to lunch once a year... If anyone knows this patent - would be interested to look in it...

Healthways was the first Company to widely present Piston Regulators in 1962 and Scubapro was a knock-off off this Company. White stag offered Piston Regulators very soon too...

so Long for today

frank

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:12 pm

Thanks Rog, that is some interesting history. So Sherrod essentially produced the first piston regulator then. What year was that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

vintagefrank
Skin Diver

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:53 pm

According to WWW, Sherwood obtained the patent in 1958. Healthways was the first to offer a Piston Regulator in 1961: the Scuba Star was a sucess and one year later, all Healthways singlehose regs used a Piston. Healthways issued in 1965 with the Scubamaster a doublehose reg with Piston. Seems it failed with freezing and disappeared. Haven´t seen one within the years.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:23 pm

That is great info Frank, thank you!
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

vintagefrank
Skin Diver

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:48 pm

you are welcome - de nada....

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:24 pm

slonda828 wrote:I ended up getting an Aqualung Titan LX. I found one that looked cool and red, and didn't have any geckos, lizards, vanilla colored plastic, or any of that other crap that comes on some of the new Aqualung stuff. Inside, it is a conshelf/RAM, and that is my favorite design for a regulator. It's still almost just as easy to service too. After rebuilding a SP mk25/S600 yesterday, I have to say that the modern SP regs have too many parts, too many o-rings, and too many fancy bushings. That mk25 is like a damn luger on the inside. I'm more of a 1911 kind of a guy, so I went with the Aqualung regulator. It's kind of weird, in 10 years of diving I have never owned a regulator that I have purchased new. It also matches the color scheme of the Kraken, which means it can be my octo for that as well. 8)

Regulators come with 2 HP ports now. What in the world do people use 2 HP ports for?
I have been using a Titan LX for some years now as my main go to single hose. I bought it NIB on eBay for $199. The guy had won it as a door prize. I told him his BIN was too low and he said he did not care. I bought it and got a second, second stage also new for like $150. It is not "cheesy" and it is by far the best single hose regulator I have ever used including the new G260, R109 and G250 whatever.

I have been perplexed as well by the need for multiple HP ports aside from a possible second hose routing choice, I suppose it is also so some people can run a silly wireless doodad and a real spg at the same time for whatever reason, which also perplexes me. But then I am an actual minimalist, not somebody who just talks about minimalism and then does exactly the opposite.

Truth be known, I prefer piston firsts and I like the Mk V. I am considering (maybe) getting a new G260 and if I do though I will likely get it with a Mk 17.

N

Return to “Vintage Scubapro Regulators”