saltigagt
Diver
First Name: Jonathan

Scubapro MK7 Honker issue

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:26 pm

Hi,

Recently went diving with a new MK7 honker, breaths fine, however, there was no 'honk' even when breath till 40psi. I was wondering if I bought a service kit from Bryan and service it myself, will that solve this problem? or do it require a separate kit altogether? Thanks!

Jonathan

awap45
First Name: Gary

Re: Scubapro MK7 Honker issue

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:55 am

A cleaning and lube might help. Make sure the two o-rings on the oscillator are in good shape. Finally, you may be breathing so lightly that the oscillator is not doing its think, so try a bit more demand once supply pressure gets down to about 400 psi. Once the tank pressure falls below IP the oscillator should stop working and the primary should stop delivering enough gas to breath comfortably. With your pressure having dropped to 40 psi, I suspect you need to replace a a few o-rings or you might even have a problem with the supply pressure stem not withdrawing. In any case, inspect, clean and lube as a first step.

couv
Master Diver

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:06 am

....and make sure you have the second stage hose installed into the correct port-unlike a twit I know who thought he had the same problem. :oops:
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:39 am

awap and couv, nice to see you guy here.
Herman

couv
Master Diver

Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:33 pm

Thanks Herman.

@ the OP. Did you resolve the issue with your Honker? If so, what was the problem.

Cheers,

Couv
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

73diver
Diver
First Name: Ken

Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:32 am

I'd also like to know if the audible reserve 'honker' has been resolved and the 'fix'. I have two MK7's one purchased when I started diving in 1973 and another one purchased in 1981. The 1973 was warranty repaired at the factory in 1982 with a minor first-stage leak. Both MK7's are still working great.

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:31 am

TheHonker O ring White around the edge is not to be lubricated per Scubapro.I own a few and have rebuilt per my classes from scubapro.
Jl

73diver
Diver
First Name: Ken

Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi Mk7 Experts,

This is another potential 'honker' issue but I'll post it here as it may be related to the problem with the OP. I serviced my MK7 with kit and tools obtained here. I submerged the first stage and there were no bubbles-so far so good. The low-pressure honk seems to have changed a bit. My testing was performed out of the water.

At 3000 psi there is now a subtle high-pitched note like the one made by a modern atomic when breathing from the 2nd stage while out of the water. With the tank valve off, breathing forcefully the honk is observed briefly at the beginning of the last breath. This seems different than before but may still be within the scope of normal operation. Also, with the tank valve off, when purging the second stage the usual 'honk' is not always audible. Interestingly, this seems to be related to the 'tightness' of the 2nd stage poppet spring.

I was just wondering if I am making any rookie mistakes.

Thanks,

Ken

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:00 am

Here is what it says in the Scubapro Service schematic:

Flow through piston designs will under some conditions make a whistling noise during flow. To alleviate , replace Item #15 HP seat, and heavily
lubricate Item #25, 01-050-137 o-ring.

Remember, this is Scubapro saying to lubricate o-ring #25. I was rebuilding one last month and took this statement to heart. I replaced the seat as well. After I reassembled the unit, it purred like a kitten and started honking at about 400 psi. Lube that o-ring!
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

couv
Master Diver

Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:43 pm

Bronze06 wrote:Here is what it says in the Scubapro Service schematic:

Flow through piston designs will under some conditions make a whistling noise during flow. To alleviate , replace Item #15 HP seat, and heavily
lubricate Item #25, 01-050-137 o-ring.

Remember, this is Scubapro saying to lubricate o-ring #25. I was rebuilding one last month and took this statement to heart. I replaced the seat as well. After I reassembled the unit, it purred like a kitten and started honking at about 400 psi. Lube that o-ring!
Hi Russ,

Just to be clear, item 25 is the piston stem o-ring. Yes, it should be heavily lubricated. The HP seat (item 15) was originally a flat seat and due to air flow and harmonics sometimes caused an odd humming in the first stage. This is not part of the aural warning system used to indicate low air pressure.

The black/white o-ring mentioned in the post above is item 7 and fits in the oscillator groove.

BTW: the note you quote in your post also applies to other flow through piston regulators such as the MK5 and MK10.

Cheers,

Couv

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:08 pm

Flat hp seats must be few and far between these days.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bronze06
Master Diver

Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:41 am

Hey Couv,

God, we all seem to really love the "Honker". I guess it appeals to our sense of primitive brute force engineering. That and they are cosmetically unique, big, clunky and fun to rebuild.
I understand what you meant about the audio system, but sometimes you will hear a high pitch on not only this reg but others due to a HP seat not opening up or sealing up quite fast enough, thus causing a shrill tone that can be heard as you breath. Sometimes called "piston squeak". This is independent of the audio oscillator on the Mark 7 and the noise can be carried through the LP line to the 2nd stage and is audible in the water as well. It can be confused with the audio system at times.
With regards to HP seats, what I have done on occasion if in need of a seat is to just flip the old HP seat over and use the un-marred other side and on most occasions it does just great. You just have to take a good look at the seat and ensure that it is not damaged. Of course you must do your regular service checks in all other areas but in a pinch this works.
As per lube, I not only lube this seal, as Couv says on the MKs 5,7 and 10 but also on my MK 2s of which I have 4 ( 1967-1999) and you will definitely get a better breathing 1st stage. Granted, the o-ring is held in place differently in the MK 2 but the principle is the same.

Thanks

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bronze06
Master Diver

Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:39 pm

A video showing what the "Honker" does at 400 psi or below.
https://youtu.be/z3gNLTk3nto :D

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:35 pm

Well done. ..Honk. ...........Honk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:23 pm

Thanks for the video. It has been decades since I have heard the honker. :lol:
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Return to “Vintage Scubapro Regulators”