EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Vintage Scubapro

Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:11 pm

In my quest to achieve regulator service proficiancy I am interested in getting an inexpensive piston type single hose that parts are readily available for. Scubapro seems a logical choice. What model would be good to start with? I see MK2,MK5 ect. I also would like to find the service manual for same. I see schematics and catalogs in the doc. section but not a manual like USD. Any ideas??

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Vintage Scubapro

Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:06 pm

Personally I'd go Conshelf 14. Top notch reg. Happy in sub 40 degree water you might encounter in Lake Michigan. Relatively easy to work on. YMMV

Jim

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:05 pm

The SP MK-2 is about as simple as it gets. I have a couple if you are interested in a first stage. The USD Aquarius is also an easy one to service. Both regs use a couple of common orings and simple HP seats that you can buy or make your own. Same goes for the second stages that were commonly sold with them. Not much to the service manuals. Actually I have never seen a SP manual, plenty of parts breakdowns and a few service tips but never an actual manual.
I would suggest you get copies of both "Regulator Savvy" by Peter Wolfong http://www.scubatools.com and "Maintenance and repair of Scuba Regulators" by Vance Harlow http://www.airspeedpress.com RS is more technical- the deep dark hows and whys a reg works as opposed to M&R of SR which is more of a how to, hands on book. The 2 overlap each other and between the 2 you end up with a solid knowledge of the theory along with a practical hands on knowledge.
Herman

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:42 pm

I would say either an Aqualung Aquarius or an Aqualung Conshelf. Both are easy to rework, and super durable. Bryan has parts for all of them.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:17 pm

Herman wrote:The SP MK-2 is about as simple as it gets. I have a couple if you are interested in a first stage. The USD Aquarius is also an easy one to service. Both regs use a couple of common orings and simple HP seats that you can buy or make your own. Same goes for the second stages that were commonly sold with them. Not much to the service manuals. Actually I have never seen a SP manual, plenty of parts breakdowns and a few service tips but never an actual manual.
I would suggest you get copies of both "Regulator Savvy" by Peter Wolfong http://www.scubatools.com and "Maintenance and repair of Scuba Regulators" by Vance Harlow http://www.airspeedpress.com RS is more technical- the deep dark hows and whys a reg works as opposed to M&R of SR which is more of a how to, hands on book. The 2 overlap each other and between the 2 you end up with a solid knowledge of the theory along with a practical hands on knowledge.

I have already sucessfully completed conshelf supreme,and a DA so now I'm specificly looking for a piston type 1st stage. I got "Regulator Savvy for Christmas, & that is what has me thinking about this. I think I saw your auction for the MK2 & MK5 but I would prefer a complete unit. Although the price is right.:wink:

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:45 pm

Don't overlook Sherwood. Look at a reg with the dry bleed system. Blizzard, Magnum. Less freeze prone. Parts easily obtainable. Often referred to as the AK of piston regs. Some of my buddies have dove them down to 170 in cold water. Less expensive. I cut my piston teeth on these as the good local tech went out of business so my buddies asked if I could help them out. Frogkick has all the manuals. I have been getting parts through Northeast scuba supply, but Bryan may be able to help you out now.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:41 pm

Sorry to post this here but I have a nice later model Sherwood with matching octopus the type that Jim is describing that was headed to E-bay tomorrow.....E-mail me if you are interested...... Jim, if you send me links to the parts you normally use from NE Supply I will stock them in the future.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:51 pm

I have a couple more MK-2s if you want one, I am trying to clean out the big box of single hose regs I have. The MK-5 is a better performing of the regs but is a little more difficult to service and trouble shoot. Little nicks on the piston or too little lube on the stem can give you fits. If you get a MK-5 or 10 you will need a bullet tool. You can make one easily but don't try to do without it....you can get away with it most of the time but they are so easy to make, it just does not make sence not to.
Herman

lotthall
First Name: Lott

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:55 pm

I agree with Herman. I work on ScubaPro equipment almost exclusively. The Mk 2 is about as simple as it gets and is a breeze to rebuild...pretty much bullet proof It is, however, unbalanced. I would also strongly suggest you invest in the Vance Harlow book he suggests. It was, and still is from time to time, a good reference for me if I am into something I am unfamiliar with.

Good luck with all your endeavors!
Lott Hall
Master Diver

"Too many toys, not enough money!"

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:30 pm

If you are set on Scubapro go with the Mk2 like Herman said. They are bomb-proof and have a built in KISS factor. I have been servicing mine since 94 and I'm :D :D still kicking.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:51 am

The last reply to this was almost 2 years ago. Just an FYI :wink:
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bronze06
Master Diver