Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

How to embed videos in your posts

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:41 pm

If you look in your posting bar, there is a vimeo button and a youtube button. Youtube had some recent changes, so it no longer embeds as a regular video. Vimeo as well. If any of your videos in your posts broke, just edit your post and put them between the new youtube or vimeo tags.

You will get some tags. Put the full link to the video in the tags, and that's it. Example:

[ youtube]https://youtu.be/SOME_NUMBER[/youtube ]

The youtube link should be the one from the "share" button on the youtube page. It normally looks like this:

https://youtu.be/SOME_NUMBER

sample:

For other videos, just click the video tags and copy the link in between the tags, like this:

[ vimeo]https://vimeo.com/209831322[/vimeo ]

Sample:

Enjoy!
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: How to embed videos in your posts

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:56 pm

Thanks for the fix Ron...... Now a new dilemma... I got this floppy disc with 50 free hrs of AOL but my computer has no place to put a floppy disc. How can I get this free innerweb I've heard so much about?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Ron
Site Admin

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:07 pm

You kid, but you and I both know how many of our users still use AOL :lol:

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:37 am

All that work you and Paul have done with security updates and https or httpslslsl and other stuff I don't understand AND STILL every E-mail I reply to from an AOL user gets blocked telling them VDH is a spam site or my E-mail contains a virus.
I shouldn't laugh too much, my 12yr old gives me grief all the time because I don't get all the stuff she does on the web. She still can't fathom carrying around a box full of cassette tapes.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:41 am

Bryan wrote:She still can't fathom carrying around a box full of cassette tapes.
Are you saying my Teac reel-to-reel tape machine and my collection of 8-track tapes are obsolete? What's next? I suppose i won't be able to drive down to Blockbuster and rent a movie on Betamax in a few years! I'll be forced to watch all my movies on that newfangled VHS player thingy. At least single hose regulators are a fad and won't be around long. :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Ron
Site Admin

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:17 pm

Bryan wrote:All that work you and Paul have done with security updates and https or httpslslsl and other stuff I don't understand AND STILL every E-mail I reply to from an AOL user gets blocked telling them VDH is a spam site or my E-mail contains a virus.
I shouldn't laugh too much, my 12yr old gives me grief all the time because I don't get all the stuff she does on the web. She still can't fathom carrying around a box full of cassette tapes.

I may see if I can find a trial of old AO-hell and troubleshoot that. The Howard Hughes part of me has a hard time letting that go, 90s technology notwithstanding.

Ron
Site Admin

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:18 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Bryan wrote:She still can't fathom carrying around a box full of cassette tapes.
Are you saying my Teac reel-to-reel tape machine and my collection of 8-track tapes are obsolete? What's next? I suppose i won't be able to drive down to Blockbuster and rent a movie on Betamax in a few years! I'll be forced to watch all my movies on that newfangled VHS player thingy. At least single hose regulators are a fad and won't be around long. :D

You know what's crazy? My brother in law picks on me for having CDs. You are like 4 generations of jokes removed. I'm actually a dinosaur now, which makes you like...whatever was before dinosaurs. I don't know, I'm an IT guy not a paleo-unemployed-barista.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:04 pm

"Be kind - Rewind" (Remember that?)
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:12 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:"Be kind - Rewind" (Remember that?)
I also remember the "special" section in the back of the store.... LOL

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:22 pm

swimjim wrote:
ScubaLawyer wrote:"Be kind - Rewind" (Remember that?)
I also remember the "special" section in the back of the store.... LOL
Lol .... the one at our store was only separated from the rest of the store by this sheer fabric curtain tacked across the doorway.
Of course I wandered in there day one and my mom started yelling at me to come back but it was too late. I was old enough to kinda get it but I had lots of akward questions and mom never went back in that store.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:53 pm

- Hey Ron, is there anyway you can do a search and replace to correct all of the videos that were previously posted?
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Ron
Site Admin

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:25 pm

I wish PHP forums were as easy as Microsoft Word, but no there is no way to do that. This is basically a giant database with a graphical front end in front of it, so changes are normally time consuming.

The lowest risk way of doing it without risking messing up huge portions of the database is for you to look at your last 2 or 3 pages of posts and fix your video tags. Keep in mind we are already using this forum for far, far more than it was originally designed for. This is basically a Gremlin with a 460 shoe horned in it.

Return to “Website support”