rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

FFM/DH?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:28 pm

Anyone use a FFM with their DH? Yeah, would likely need the Argonaut DSV (have one). I j Just got an OTS, and thinking it to be a blessing for my Ice Diving....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Re: FFM/DH?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:06 pm

Im sure Im not the only one that only recognised two of the four abbreviations. So much to learn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:08 pm

I have used several different FFM with DH regulators.

In the past I have used the Hope-Page mouthpiece with the old Cressi FFM and I also have a US Divers old FFM that has fittings for either a single hose or the hoses of a DH. I still have both set ups with their own dedicated hoses, but haven’t used either in a while. I did not find the US Divers mask to be very comfortable. Actually the Cressi was probably not that comfortable either.

I now have the new OTS Spectrum mask and that is a very comfortable mask. I used it with and Argonaut and a DSV mouthpiece. It was comfortable and worked very well except when I was on my back. When the regulator is much lower than the mask, there is positive pressure on the mask. This mask is so soft that the positive pressure will lift the edge seal from my face and it causes a free-flow.

I have used positive pressure FFM before like the AGA mask and they can be ver nice, but you do need to have the mask adjusted tight against your face. I tried adjusting the Spectrum mask a bit and I have to try it again, but it is possible that the mask skirt is just too soft.

This free-flow issue is only when I am on my back and I can probably de-tune the regulator a bit, but that would not be my first choice. I tend to tune my regulators fairly aggressively, so this may not be as much of an issue to others.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:13 pm

FFM: Full Face Mask
DSV: Dive Surface Valve (Closing mouthpiece)
MP: Mouthpiece
DH: Double Hose

OTS: Ocean Technology Systems (The name of a company, probably the largest FFM manufacturing company)
AGA: The name of a Swedish company that makes FFM and other diving equipment.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Chris
Master Diver

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:17 pm

Ah, now get the ffm. My cousin used his cressi with his DH. Same problem Luis mentioned on surface swimming. He didnt like it as much after he got rolled in the surf. I don't remember if it flooded and he pulled our the mouth piece, or if the mouth piece was dislodged in the waves. At any rate, he found himself in the surf breathing though the hole with water in the mask and didnt like it. I believe it was a night dive too.

Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Chris
Master Diver

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:18 pm

Probably a lot of what I call "operator failure" was involved as well.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”