ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

I do dive vintage/modern. Photo proof.

Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:09 pm

See, I do dive vintage/modern! Taken this morning on my way out for a lobster dive.

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Re: I do dive vintage/modern. Photo proof.

Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:17 pm

Success!

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

2THDIVR
Master Diver
First Name: Scott

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:39 pm

Nice Bug !

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:39 am

Not sure what I was thinking when I posted the first pic, only that I was using a B.C. which is rather unusual for me. Never actually used it save to float my tank while I climbed back on the inflatable. Had a fantastic dive regardless. I stopped counting adult green abalone at 100, they were everywhere (protected). Saw hundreds of lobster, all juvenile. Never got deeper than 24 feet and had a 70 minute dive on my twin 45's and 1958 Mistral. Covered about a 1/4 mile underwater searching for lobster. Water temp 68 F.  Visibility about 25 feet.

At least on this dive I didn't have a bag of somebody's aunt Gertrude's ashes from the Shady Rest Mortuary come crashing down on my head which is what happened last time I dove this spot. For future reference for a burial at sea dump the ashes out of the bag on the surface first rather than letting them form cement in a wet bag.  Ok, I've rambled on long enough. Mark out.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:32 pm

Careful Mark, Esquire, I hear they hang you for taking things out of the ocean in California ;)

I didn't realize you guys had spiny lobsters. Also, I wish my water was 68 degrees. Mine was 45 degrees @ 200 feet. :roll:
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:10 pm

Ron wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:32 pm
Careful Mark, Esquire, I hear they hang you for taking things out of the ocean in California ;)

I didn't realize you guys had spiny lobsters. Also, I wish my water was 68 degrees. Mine was 45 degrees @ 200 feet. :roll:
Hi Ron,

We got bugs galore! Here is a little video I did a few years ago - I probably posted it before but what the hey... Mark

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:32 am

Sounds and looks like a heck of a lot of fun. Easy in and easy out. Not too cold and not too deep. I've had a few diving days like that in the lake out front of my house. But the past two years a combination of heavy rain and new construction in the area has drained alot of silt directly along my shoreline and visibility has been 2 feet at best.

Later this past Summer, I looked down at the water with my polaroid sunglasses and it looked pretty clear. So I tried diving with bare skin and minimal equipment... Used a single 38 cf tank and dove depths from 12-22 feet. Usually there's a cold thermocline at 16 feet but it wasn't there this time. And, visibility was at least 15 ft... Not great but better than 2 feet. I timed the dive for 20 minutes out and 20 back but actually turned back at 17 minutes and ran my air down to the reserve just as I was arriving back. Pulled the reserve and swam to shore. So, about 35 minutes of free and easy diving.

I didn't get any Lobsters but I found an angel and she blessed me... So there. :)

Comments: You can hear boat motors in the sound track. They sounded pretty close but I coujldn't see them above me. Also interesting that just one week later the water was too cold to dive without a wet suit.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:36 pm

Boats? Those were torpedo's whizzing by...... Lol

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:03 am

sound is always there, but this....

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q258xzJBLvA[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q258xzJBLvA

now that is close... (idiots)

no idea why the video won't show directly....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

SurfLung
Master Diver

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:14 pm

SurfLung

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:15 pm

not to derail this, but what did you do to re-post this?

I clicked the "youtube" tab, and pasted the address, yet only got what you saw from my attempt. I also just directly pasted the link.....

Thanks!
Bob

SurfLung
Master Diver

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:42 am

You have to use the address that Youtube gives you when you click "Share".

The "Share" address for your movie is https://youtu.be/q258xzJBLvA
SurfLung

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:59 pm

testing...

edit: THANKS (now I just have to remember that)!
Bob

crimediver
Master Diver

Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:26 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:39 am

At least on this dive I didn't have a bag of somebody's aunt Gertrude's ashes from the Shady Rest Mortuary come crashing down on my head which is what happened last time I dove this spot. For future reference for a burial at sea dump the ashes out of the bag on the surface first rather than letting them form cement in a wet bag.  Ok, I've rambled on long enough. Mark out.
I have found cremains several times. All were in the urn a couple were missing the top and you could see a heat sealed plastic pouch full of mush. Much better to spread the ashes in my opinion rather than deep sixing an urn.

About 12 years ago I dove on an artificial reef off of Madiera Beach Florida. There was a bunch of old pipe culverts and rebar sticking up and a lot of lobster were hanging out there. The season did not open until the next day. Viz was not great and as I was exploring I grabbed what I thought was a piece of rebar sticking up from the rubble. Turned out it was a very nice Gold Penn Senator rod and reel. It had been in the water just a short time and did not even have silt on it.

I brought it back to the boat. I wanted to come back the next day to collect some bugs but the boat was not going back out then.

Upon returning to the marina I saw another boat that was advertising dolphin watching and fishing charters. I asked a crewman if they ever took out divers and I told them I wanted to go out and get some lobster. They told me they did once in a while and may have a cancellation and could go the next day. I asked them if they had the numbers for the Madiera Beach artificial reef. He told me they did and had just been there the day before. He went on to tell me how they had scattered the ashes of a fisherman there and how his son had thrown his dad's lucky fishing hat overboard as well as his fishing rod. I wonder what he thought when he saw my expression.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:53 pm

Two weeks ago I found a brand new deepwater ocean pole and reel on the bottom. It couldn't have been down there more than a day. Turns out the reel is a special brand titanium and the pole is custom made. I priced it out on the internet and rod/reel combo sold for $1,200. I have no intention of trying to track down the owner. I did that a few years ago when I found a custom pole with a name engraved on it. After a Google search the name turned up on a site where the boat takes handicapped kids out to fish. I called that organization and they put me in touch with the owner. He was supposed to come to my office to pick it up but sent his daughter instead. The daughter was all mean and snarky and asked me why I had her dad's $1,000 custom made fishing pole in the first place and why I couldn't drive the 40 miles to where her dad lived to return it. No thank you, no nothing. Never again! If I find it, it's mine. Don't care if there is a name, address, phone, email and fax on it and it is a family heirloom belonging to your great great grandmother who brought it across the plains on a covered wagon. Mine I tell you! Mine. :D

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”