Jakob
Diver
First Name: Jakob

Non US kraken users, how do you service it ??

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:44 am

Hey

Very very interested in the Kraken, but since I am opposite US on the globe, the servicing part is something to think off.

I think regulators need a yearly shop check just to make sure everything is in great condition. I have not done this myself, and I was thinking that servicing a regulator like the Kraken would need special experience ?? Or can any good dive shop with a good tech guy do it. Not sure how alike the systems are once you open them.

Are there any basic maintenance one can do besides the freshwater rinse after diving, like changing most obvious parts, or ?

What will break first in a Kraken, that is will it just start to free flow if something goes wrong ?

So what do you guys do that are far away from US ?

Best wishes

Jakob

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Non US kraken users, how do you service it ??

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:43 am

Most shops will not service a regulator they did not sell. The Argonaut Kraken first stage is very similar to the US Divers Conshelf or Titan and services almost the same way. With that said, most divers use their own IP gauge every once in a while to check their Kraken and as long as the IP is staying between 130 and 140 psi and is otherwise breathing great then there is no real reason to service it.
Like all regulators the items that will wear the most quickly are the HP and LP seats. If your HP seat is failing you will get a gradual creep of IP pressure until it causes the 2nd stage to start free flowing. We have Argonaut Kraken regulators that have been in service for near 5 years that have not been serviced yet but there is no way to guarantee that any of them won't need servicing sooner.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Jakob
Diver

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:09 am

Newbie to this, what do you mean by using the pressure gage to test the regulater?

Fibonacci
Master Diver
First Name: Graeme

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:45 am

You need one of these... Intermediate Pressure (IP) Gauge connects to your BCD QD hose.

https://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/ ... p/24561783

Plug in, make sure the tank valve is fully open, purge the octo a couple of times and the IP should hold steady between 130-140psi over 5 mins... not gradually creep upwards.

Its a handy diagnostic tool to keep an eye on the state of your Kraken 8)
'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition' Rudyard Kipling

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:50 am

Find yourself a Conshelf XIV......Watch the videos.....buy a blue and a red kit from the website store...Get a 1st stage assembly tool and an IP gauge......Rebuild it a couple of times successfully and you have all the skills you need to service an Argonaut Kraken.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Jakob
Diver

Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:34 am

Great things to you both :-)

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”