Jakob
Diver
First Name: Jakob

What do you love about DH diving ???

Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:35 pm

Hey

Short story had problems getting my PADI certificate quite some years ago due to tinnitus, stopped halfway into the course. Being a biologist working with marine life, i just had to dive, so i started again some years late and it worked out.

I have always been secretly in love with DH regulators without ever trying one. Mainly due to a theory of mine that they expose the diver to less bubble noise, which is quite attractive to me. Anyhow i started to search for a DH regulator, found a old used one, think it was a nemrod, and got it. It was to worn out though, I did not have the knowledge to start a repair, so I resold it. Then some years later i stumbled upon the modern aqualung DH, close to buying it, but didnt. Forgot everything about DH regulators until last week where I stumbled upon the Kraken... WHAT a modern DH regulator.... Darn it I can not get that one out of my head now. Been googling, Youtubing searching this site, reading, and now the forum... :0)

I am super curious, and super tempted but I can not really figure out if this is just a crazy idea of mine :0). Anyhow for me the reduced bubble noise would be a major plus, is it for real ? How comfortable is it in use regarding jaw fatigue ? Does the DH arrangement make headmovements more restricted ? What about service / compexity of the reg. I do not live in US, so being able to service it itself, is that even realistic ? What about the long run, a very special product like the Kraken, what about getting parts in the long run ? Anyhow its very tempting and fantastic that this product exists, very thrilled about it, hope someone will chip in with personal experiences to why you dive DH, and what you like about it. Ohh I saw the backplate made for the DH regulators, would have loved it to be stainless for a little extra weigh, not a dealbreaker. Can that be fitted with harness sliders ? Love the idea of bulding a simplistic setup with Kraken, backplate, harness sliders for comfort, small wing and a couple of weight pockets... Relevant inputs I would love :0).

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: What do you love about DH diving ???

Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:00 am

Jakob wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:35 pm
Anyhow for me the reduced bubble noise would be a major plus, is it for real ?

I believe so. Regardless, the retro cool factor is worth it alone.

How comfortable is it in use regarding jaw fatigue?

I've had my Kraken 4 years now. Never had any issue with jaw fatigue. If using a backpack you do really need a VDH one designed for DH regs. It positions it perfectly on your back between your shoulder blades for optimal breathing performance.

Does the DH arrangement make head movements more restricted ?

No

What about service / compexity of the reg. I do not live in US, so being able to service it itself, is that even realistic ?

If you can service a two-stage diaphragm regulator,  you can service a Kraken. If not, just send it back to VDH and they will send it back to you like new.

What about getting parts in the long run ?

Internal parts are pretty standard. Let's put it this way. I can still get parts for my 1958 US Divers single stage double hose Mistral and my 1960 US Divers two-stage diaphragm AquaMaster double hose. I wouldn't worry about it.
GO BUY A KRAKEN - DON'T THINK ABOUT IT - JUST DO IT

Good luck.

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Jakob
Diver

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:42 am

I believe so. Regardless, the retro cool factor is worth it alone.

He he well yeah I am trying to dig up objective arguments here, but I totally agree :-)

If you can service a two-stage diaphragm regulator,  you can service a Kraken. If not, just send it back to VDH and they will send it back to you like new.

Well I live on the other side of the planet so that is quite unpractical and kind of expensive I guess. I do not know how to service a regular regulator, the question is how difficult it is to learn, I do have practical skills :-). Does instructions exist??

Internal parts are pretty standard. Let's put it this way. I can still get parts for my 1958 US Divers single stage double hose Mistral and my 1960 US Divers two-stage diaphragm AquaMaster double hose. I wouldn't worry about it.
[/quote]

Ok that is great but surprising. I would have thought that it consisted to a large part of custom made elements.

GO BUY A KRAKEN - DON'T THINK ABOUT IT - JUST DO IT

Ha ha i am very tempted, but where are those beautiful red hoses gone.... A shame that there is not a complete set kraken and octo with same design AND the red hoses. I know it's irrelevant bit damned that is a cool looking set :-)

Best wishes

Jakob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:54 am

Well I live on the other side of the planet so that is quite unpractical and kind of expensive I guess. I do not know how to service a regular regulator, the question is how difficult it is to learn, I do have practical skills :-). Does instructions exist??

Reg servicing is not rocket science but does take someone with common sense and someone who doesn't mind spending countless hours reading such fairly dry tomes as "Regulator Savvy" and Roberts' two volumes to learn the theory and mechanics, and taking the time to learn the nomenclature of the different types of regulators (e.g. balanced, non-balanced, diaphragm, piston, upstream, down stream, etc...); how each part functions as part of the whole; how intermediate pressure works and how it is adjusted, troubleshooting, etc...  I have very basic mechanical skills and am self-taught with lots of help from the fine folks on this forum and I'm still not sure about any number of issues dealing with servicing regs. All I can say is that it has taken several years and I'm  just starting to feel comfortable. If you look in the manuals and catalog section down at the bottom of each forum page you will see many original manufacturer's step by step servicing guides, expanded diagrams,  etc... it is a marvelous resource. That said, working on your own reg is not for everybody.

As for expense to send a Kraken back in for servicing understand it isn't needed that often. I used mine regularly several times a month for 4 years (plus week long dive trips) with just washing it off in fresh water after each trip. Even after all that use my only service needed was to replace the standard main spring which cost a few dollars. It took me a few minutes to do it and another few minutes to adjust the intermediate pressure (done with a screwdriver). I'm likely biased because I love my Kraken so much but I can attest that with proper post-dive care they can go a long long time between servicings.

A shame that there is not a complete set kraken and octo with same design AND the red hoses. I know it's irrelevant bit damned that is a cool looking set :-)

The red hoses were part of the first issue (Kraken Series One) back in 2014. My serial number from 2014 is 21 and it breathes as well today as when I first got it (actually better now since I added the DSV mouthpiece and jacked up the venturi by blocking the second stage side ports). With the DSV (Dive Surface Valve) you can do that and not have to worry about air blowing past the mouthpiece. It's like adding a turbocharger to your car but on your Kraken instead. The rush of air on inhalation is amazing.

Anyway, I've mused on long enough. Now go buy that Kraken. You know you want to. It's calling to you in your dreams....... buy me, buy me, buy me.......

Good Dives Jakob.

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Jakob
Diver

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:32 am

Hey

Great inputs man, really appreciate it, a dedicated forum like this actually is almost reason enough to get the Kraken, it sure feels like help is close.

And yes I am SOOOO tempted :D .

Regarding the service interval i find that a bit difficult. with your sobering description i realized that I will not service it myself.. then the issue is this. I guess i need to service it BEFORE it breaks.. I normally think that regulators need a yearly check and that will become cumbersome sending it around the globe. Now i have a tech savvy local dive shop, maybe they can do the essentials, what do you guys think ?

I will make another post on this

Best wishes

Jakob

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:07 pm

I normally think that regulators need a yearly check.....

Yea, well, a lot of us used to think that. In my opinion, dive industry drivel (but understandable as preventative maintenance isn't a bad thing). I have regulators last serviced 10+ years ago that work just fine. On the other hand if you get salt water in your first stage on a brand new reg on its first dive it ain't gonna last long before it needs servicing. After diving for more than 50 years my rule of thumb is that if it breathes hard or freeflows, or the IP is wonky, it's time to find out why. Otherwise, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Then there is the other faction (and you know who you are) that disassemble their regs down to individual parts after each dive trip, clean and reassemble. I actually admire that dedication but it's not me. My sole opinion. Yours and others may vary. :D

Jakob
Diver

Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:31 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:I normally think that regulators need a yearly check.....

Yea, well, a lot of us used to think that. In my opinion, dive industry drivel (but understandable as preventative maintenance isn't a bad thing). I have regulators last serviced 10+ years ago that work just fine. On the other hand if you get salt water in your first stage on a brand new reg on its first dive it ain't gonna last long before it needs servicing. After diving for more than 50 years my rule of thumb is that if it breathes hard or freeflows, or the IP is wonky, it's time to find out why. Otherwise, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Then there is the other faction (and you know who you are) that disassemble their regs down to individual parts after each dive trip, clean and reassemble. I actually admire that dedication but it's not me. My sole opinion. Yours and others may vary. :D
He he my issue is that I can not really figure out if there is any real risk involved for me as a diver if I have longer service intervals, basically just due to my limited understanding of the moving parts in the regulator :-)

If we are just talking increased breathing resistance I can live with that :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”