Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

UPDATE to Argonaut DSV

Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:31 am

The screw on the front of the Argonaut DSV serves two purposes. Prevents lateral movement and is a positive stop when it is either fully open or fully closed.
I've had several requests from divers wanting to lock their DSV either the open or closed position. In the picture below is an inexpensive and easy solution. It's simply a nylon thumbscrew with a #8 O-ring on it. Put it in place of the phillips screw that came on your DSV originally and by putting more tension on the thumbscrew it will be much more difficult to turn. All new Argonaut DSV's and Argonaut Kraken regulators will have one included with them as an option for the diver if they want to use it.

Existing DSV Divers can get one simply by asking for it in the notes section of their next order though the website store.

In "theory" and if one was so inclined.. You could easily put shallow round divots at the fully open and closed position for an absolute positive lock....Of course this would be up to the diver to do and no DSV will be shipped with divots in it.....IF I were doing it, I would be 110% sure the diviots were in the correct place to have the mouthpiece fully open or closed when the screw was turned in or the DSV will leak like a screen door on a submarine!
20180605_110526.jpg
20180605_110554.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Re: UPDATE to Argonaut DSV

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:26 pm

With that bit of information, I now think I know where the nasty trickle of saltwater was coming from while diving in Curacao in April...... Thanks!
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:42 pm

Before I send out a DSV or put one on a new Kraken, I make sure it is completely open, with no bite piece on it, block both openings with my hands and try to inhale from it. Within reason, no air should get by. If it does then I either correct the issue or toss it in the scrap bin. Even with O-ring sealed wagon wheels there are still 4 hose clamps and one clamp around the bite piece that a little water can sometimes get by. In my opinion the only way to mitigate all of that would be to take the approach of really really expensive rebreather DSV's and use screw down O-ring sealed joints at at all the attachment points....of course we would end up with a $600.00 hose loop :shock: :cry:
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:33 pm

Bryan wrote:
Before I send out a DSV or put one on a new Kraken, I ...... try to inhale from it.
Ewwww... Cooties! :shock: :lol:
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:33 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Bryan wrote:
Before I send out a DSV or put one on a new Kraken, I ...... try to inhale from it.
Did I mention the pets help sometimes ? :shock:

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:17 pm

Bryan wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:33 pm
ScubaLawyer wrote:
Bryan wrote:
Did I mention the pets help sometimes ? :shock:
Wasn't the original subject of this thread something about someone having a screw loose? 8)
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

couv
Master Diver

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:11 pm

Bryan wrote:
...block both openings with my hands and try to inhale from it.
Couldn't you just purchase some expensive end plugs for the blocking, and a calibrated vacuum pump and gauge set so the rest of the world doesn't participate in your Cuban cigar addiction? :idea:

On a serious note-Is there sufficient running torque on the new set screw to prevent loss if some absentminded coonass forgets to secure it between positions?

Perhaps I'm getting the intended purpose of this screw wrong? Is this to be used to lock open the DSV for the day of diving and lock closed for storage?
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:26 pm

Couldn't you just purchase some expensive end plugs for the blocking, and a calibrated vacuum pump and gauge set so the rest of the world doesn't participate in your Cuban cigar addiction? :idea:

My current calibration seems to work pretty well.....I'll never be in Cuban cigar pay grade!

On a serious note-Is there sufficient running torque on the new set screw to prevent loss if some absentminded coonass forgets to secure it between positions?

That's why I put the #8 O-ring on it to provide some cushion room. No doubt it COULD get lost but I'm not sure how to prevent that from happening 100%

Perhaps I'm getting the intended purpose of this screw wrong? Is this to be used to lock open the DSV for the day of diving and lock closed for storage?

Yes.....You can lock it open for your day of diving and Yes you could lock it shut for storage. I'm just trying to keep up with options the customer asks for. :D Or you can just leave the screw that came in it in place....Or you can swap back and forth....An amazing array of options for your diving pleasure :lol:

mdw
Diver

Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:21 am

I just received my new Kraken, and it does not seemto have the nylon wing screw option you described. Have you discontinued providing these in the latest batch of Krakens you are shipping now? Also, I've seen pics here in the forum of newly opened boxes with extras like a Kraken sticker, T shirt or other promotional item. Mine had none of that, just the 2 hose clamps to attach the hose to the horns. Don't get me wrong, the reg itself looks great and I look forward to using it next week. I just feel a little less special than some of your previous customers. I'll get over it (already have).

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:53 am

MDW,

You should email VDH and ask about the DSV screw. I can't remember if they were included on new Krakens or just an option. Might say earlier in this thread.

As for the T-Shirt, stickers and other goodies I think that was just with the 1st generation Kraken in 2014 and maybe with some of the Special Edition Krakens issued since then.

Regardless,  the Argonaut Kraken is an awsome reg. Mine was the 21st one made that first year in 2014 and it breathes just as good today 5 years later as it did on day one. Never have had the need to overhaul it yet. I did change out the main spring a few months ago because of some wonky IP on the low side but nothing else was done. I put a DSV on when they first came out. Love it for long surface swims.

My 2psi.

Mark

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:05 am

We are now using an O-ring that is slightly fatter than the original ones on the inner barrel which provides quite a bit more tension without needing the screw. We always look for the most simple way to do things without adding additional stuff to add on or lose. If you want one of the nylon screws please ask next time you order.

Die cut marine vinyl stickers, T-shirts, pins etc add to the cost of producing the Argonaut Kraken and that cost gets passed to the new buyer. I had a lot of stickers from the 1st editions that I included with later regulators until I ran out of everything. I did re-order promotional stickers which I'll have sometime in January.

I have offered Argonaut Kraken T-shirts 4 times since 2014 and will do so again in the spring.

Enjoy your new regulator!

mdw
Diver

Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:31 pm

Thanks for the info. It does seem like the thicker O rings give it adequate tension in both the open and closed position. I was kind of wondering why people thought the thumb screw lock down was necessary, but now I understand that previous models may have had less natural tension than mine. I have nothing to compare mine to, so I don't know how tight or loose it was with the old O rings. I imagine I would not really need the thumb screw, since mine seems fine without it. I guess I'll find out for sure tomorrow when I finally get to dive it.

As for the lack of promotional materials in the box, I figured it was something like that (i.e. all out of that stuff and it was just non-essential overhead cost). Like I said, I don't see it as a problem, but was just surprised after seeing a bunch of posts with people commenting about the cool little extras that showed up in their boxes. I am happy to have gotten this marvel of modern engineering with a classic design, because that's what I ordered. I would much rather have that than a lesser product with a bunch of "extras" that don't add functional value. Best Christmas gift to myself ever.

Thanks for all you do.
Mark

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”