Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Backplate Question??

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:29 pm

Those that use or require a longer or shorter backplate than standard, can you please give me some more info on what length/measurements work best for you.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Re: Backplate Question??

Tue May 01, 2018 7:28 am

I slotted my VDH plate in the space available below the current slots.

For reference, I will measure my DSS Long and X-Long plates when I can get a chance, but they are currently packed away in storage awaiting the arrival of spring (if it ever comes).....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

DerekRalston
Skin Diver
First Name: Derek

Tue May 01, 2018 10:18 am

I also extended the slots on one of my plates to allow for the slots in a Mares XL wing. Overall length of the plate is fine, it just needed a longer pair of slots.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue May 01, 2018 2:32 pm

As I contemplate going further into the plate and wing business I need data to the help me decide if its feasible or not. We have an idea for a very basic plate that can be aluminum or stainless but having options for length is something I would like to look into.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Wed May 02, 2018 7:12 am

You might want to message Tom as I believe he has long and possibly x-long plates. He might be able to get you dimensions quicker than I can.
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

lexvil
Diver
First Name: lex

Sat May 12, 2018 10:49 am

I added slots 3/4” from the bottom of the plate. I would love to try out a heavy VDH plate for cold water diving, in a dry suit I carry a lot of weight and prefer having as much as possible on the backplate.

tbone1004
Master Diver
First Name: Tom

Sat May 12, 2018 12:34 pm

sorry, didn't see this. I'll go measure my long pattern plates today. Bryan, email sent with long DSS and Freedom plates

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:12 pm

The plate as provided is pretty close to perfect. I did modify one of mine. The other allegedly belong to my MC will for the time remain unmodified :lol: . I bent the lower corners outward so they would not dig into my rear portions. I bent the upper corners inward to assist the lay of the straps. I added some holes about to secure items and the main thing, I added lowered slots. I am not a big guy, average I guess, dunno, but I think the majority of folks will fit the standard plate fine. I like my shoulder straps to be somewhat loose and for my waist strap tight. To facilitate this oddity about me, I prefer more room in the shoulder straps, lowering them was perfect for me. I get a pic later. Nem

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”