Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Double Hose Weight

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:59 am

I had my bicycle scale out, fooling around with my latest project bike, so weighed some gear. Just for sake of comparison. You cannot quantify cool factor or other such considerations. I think I can live with a 1 pound and 12 ounce penalty to get the bubbles out of my face.

I cannot weigh drool factor either :shock: .

Rigged weights, ready to go.

Kraken Series 1 (DD-6)
Red hoses
Hose Gaiters
(6) total hose weights
DSV
Secondary low profile on 40 inch Miflex
SPG, small with Miflex HP hose 18 inch
BC Miflex hose 22 inch
Sea Turtle alternate (on BC hose)

Total: 5 pounds and 12 ounces

Titan LX Supreme (older style)
60 inch primary Miflex hose
22 inch secondary Miflex hose
BC Miflex hose 22 inch

Total: 4.0 pounds

Nem

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Double Hose Weight

Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:17 am

Argonaut Kraken's cool factor..... Priceless

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:44 pm

A 1 pound difference is within the fudge factor as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't bring, or not bring something diving because of 1 pound. Heck, we just flew to Hawaii and our scuba gear weighed 37 pounds for all of it, including the checked bag. That leaves 13 pounds for booze.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:36 am

Phoenix (PNavy)
Hourglass mouthpiece and bare silicone hoses

3 pounds 12 ounces

Secondary low profile on 40 inch Miflex
BC Miflex hose 22 inch

Total: 5 pounds 8 ounces

Ron, thing is that I do not go without either :D . My Titan goes where I go. It is always in the bag, it is my excrement happens regulator :mrgreen: . These weights are just for fun, in the water it makes no difference and in the bag it is minor. I bump 50 pounds every trip and somehow manage to squeak through. To Cozumel we went First Class but that is not something I will often spoil myself with which allowed 70 pounds I think it was. Next trip I will be back with the proletariat.

Nem

captain
Plank Owner

Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:53 am

You have to factor in the buoyancy of the DH hoses. Weight them in water.
Captain

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:49 am

captain wrote:You have to factor in the buoyancy of the DH hoses. Weight them in water.
Yeah, if you traveled with them in a container of water it would save on weight! :?
The older I get the better I was.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:58 pm

antique diver wrote:
captain wrote:You have to factor in the buoyancy of the DH hoses. Weight them in water.
Yeah, if you traveled with them in a container of water it would save on weight! :?

That might go over the "liquids" allowance don't ya think :P .

Nem

captain
Plank Owner

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Never mind.
Captain

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:12 pm

Some years ago I experimented with using hydraulic cylinder O-rings (borrowed from aircraft oleos) as a substitute for D rings. Why, to reduce the weight of a rigged harness. Now again, you ask why am I, Nemrod, so fascinated with the effects of gravity. Well, again, I have spent a good deal of my life helping people to defy it :!: .

But, really, some of us lead simple lives, we throw our gear into an old station wagon and mosey on down the road a quarter mile and jump in the Clattermosu River and document the inner life and psychology of crawdads. Others of us must, to even find water, climb aboard a big ol' jetliner and go someplace exotic like Flaridah to SCUBA dive :roll: . And so, with my being rather cheap, having grown up understanding the value of money, I do not like giving it away without good purpose.

The weight limit is 50 pounds for airline bags or less. Sometimes if I look really exasperated and sweet talk the counter lady they will let me slide but, not blessed with much in the way of good looks, personality or luck and those things fading fast even as they were, yeah, every ounce of weight counts. Especially given that some of us, me (do not even think about how much Luis brings), like to bring multiple regulators, tools, overhaul supplies, chemistry experiments and all manner of VDH's latest "New Stuff" to play with, my dive bag appears to be quite swollen and about to burst. It gets that scarlet letter of infamy every time, they slap that HEAVY tag on it and give me the evil eye :oops: .

Rambling on, taking advantage of good luck and the Christmas sale, I seem to have acquired a set of the NEW VDH lightweight D-ring kit for the plate harness that substitutes some plastic D-rings and sliders for metal. I added a plastic buckle, the VDH sourced plastic cambands and voila, a noticeably lighter rig. The D rings are not as large as the typical metal D-rings but they are big enough and seem rather sturdy. I have rigged them on to MCs new VDH plate and 18 pound Argonaut Dive wing. I am so jealous of her new outfit that I am trying to figure out how I might, uh, borrow it :shock: .

How did the O-rings work out, hmm, well, they did work but I had to chase them around too much to get clipped, especially on the hip D-ring where I stow my SPG. And, yes, they would hold a 19cf buddy bottle slung but the bottle just did not feel as secure to me so in the end I abandoned that idea, though not totally a failure, for the time being.

My ongoing quest to streamline my gear, minimize my footprint in the water, reduce clutter, eliminate foolishness and put my gear on a weight reduction program continues. The minimalist diver is my goal. And all of my and MCs gear in one bag, cloths in another and that leaving the remainder for carryon for someday an upgraded camera rig if my luck holds out.

Uh, Bryan, if the slots in the VDH plate at each corner for the harness had a T-slot with the (top of) the T then wider, rather than a straight slot, then it would be easy to swap a harness out. Now why would I want to do that. Well let me 'splain this to you. It would facilitate me borrowing MCs new rig because try as I might, I cannot squeeze into a harness that is sized to her tiny body. And, yes, I can squish the harness keeper of a well broken in harness with the thinnest of metal keepers through the slot but it hurts my fangles and causes me to utter bad words like dang-nabit and gol'durnit :mrgreen: . The additional slot would go away from the load/pull. Just thinking. Y'all never like my ideas :( .

Nem

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:33 pm

Never mind if we like your ideas or not... It's always fun reading your ramblings! :lol:
Keep 'em coming, Nem.
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:48 pm

antique diver wrote:Never mind if we like your ideas or not... It's always fun reading your ramblings! :lol:
Keep 'em coming, Nem.
Nem, agree with Bill. As for airline packing i just take one of Allan's vintage travel harnesses and an 18# wing, no plate. If i'm off to Mexico cave diving it's a different story. I can usually travel first class with it's free 70# per bag and 3 checked bag limit for cheaper than coach and paying baggage fees. Plus free in-flight cocktails to boot. :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:49 am

I think these ideas are awesome, and keep them coming. Anna and I flew to Maui with just 17 lbs total of vintage scuba gear, and we loved it.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:42 pm

antique diver wrote:Never mind if we like your ideas or not... It's always fun reading your ramblings! Image
Keep 'em coming, Nem.
This

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:42 am

I look at the little bit of extra weight on a double hose as a blessing. Why? Because that is that much less weight I have to strap on a belt or bc when it's getting wet time. Side bar here regarding cool factor. I was recently down in Honduras at Coco View resort. The vis sucked compared to high season due to rainy season ongoing, but the diving was good and the staff wonderful. With all the "Single Hosers" down there and no one knowing how to rig a DH reg including the active dive staff, I got a chance to educate the "ouu and ah" types as well as the staff to correct procedure for rigging up the reg. I also brought a 1960 "Mistral and a 62 Dogbone and appropriate vintage accouterments and felt like Cousteau on a Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau special due to everyone taking videos and pictures of me in both modern and vintage DH gear. Literally, the regs were well worth their "weight" in cool factor. Back now near the Red Sea and getting ready for more horrible diving on barren beaches.

PS

The new Special Edition "Kraken" was outstanding! Thanks Bryan!
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”