Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

VDH Wings in #18, #23 and #30

Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:00 pm

The #18 wing has sold really well....THANK YOU.....But I had a lot of requests for larger ones so I contracted with the same manufacture to make them in #23 and #30 lift. So watch for an amazing deal during the holiday sale....I'll have combinations of wing, plate, harness starting at $300.00 with free shipping and everything but the hardware is made in the USA!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Jackel
First Name: Dan

Re: VDH Wings in #18, #23 and #30

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:23 am

Any chance that they will make a wing for doubles?

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:48 am

Specs on new wings

Nylon Fabrics

1000D CORDURA® / DWR / PU Coated

Made in USA

If you want to make the best packs, use the best materials. CORDURA® is a cornerstone fabric for us, look for the official hang tag and label on products using this fabric. CORDURA® Classic fabric provides rugged, durable performance for a variety of end uses, including packs, luggage, and footwear. Products made with CORDURA® Classic fabrics feature enhanced tear and abrasion resistance, and long-lasting durability. CORDURA® Classic fabric is constructed with qualifying yarns which are woven in accordance with INVISTA's approved fabric standards for the CORDURA® brand. All of our nylon fabrics are finished with a DWR (Durable Water Repellency) on the face to further enhance the function and quality of the finished products. On the backside, a PU coating is also used to enhance the stability of the fabric.

Urethane Coated Fabrics inner bladders

We use a very high quality urethane coated materials in our inner bladders US Made

Made in usa

Base Fabric: Nylon 210D / TPU Coating

3.1 [Oz/yd²]

Nylon 235dtx

105 [gr/m²]

Total Weight

ASTM D 751

12.5 [Oz/yd²]

430 [gr/m²]

us made power inflator
usa made elbow
usa made threads military specs

deflated wing 35 lbs. inflated

length------------21.5" 23.5"
width ------------12.5" 14"
thickness ------ 3" 5"

deflated wing 23 lb. deflated

length ----------19.5" 22"
width----------- 10.5" 13"
thickness----- 3" 4.5"
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:51 pm

Thanks for offering these wings at such an outstanding price. Having seen them in Cozumel I was impressed. I said then I would get MC an 18 but I am not sure I let on that I was smitten with the idea of a 23. :D

So, I got one of those too. Why, well, I have an Oxy 18 and 30 Mach Vs but summer before last, I went out with one of the only ops there in the Keys who will do a drift on Molasses Deep. I did this dive solo and to make the op happy I had to have a pony with reg and a light. The only light I had was a can light so on that went. And of course my camera. Then this op, like several down there, has steel tanks. So add that. Then consider the water was like 86 degrees so I dove in a rash guard and boardies and I have very little natural flotation (working on that). So, to make it short, the 18 pound wing was huffing and puffing to keep me up while I waited on pick up. In fact I plummeted down, managed to kinda swim around and then clawed my way up. And I had no weight on, none, zip, nada, so anyways, I figure a 23 is just right for solo configuration. Just enough extra capacity to handle odd situations and still be very minimal in profile.

For buddy dive configurations, with maybe a little neoprene and/or aluminum tank, the 18 is where it is, they are just right. But for little exposure protection and a steel tank and some other equipment added then an 18 can be a might slim sometimes.

So anyways, thanks for the good deals on wings and for bringing in a few 23s.

James

crimediver
Master Diver

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:06 pm

I was wondering about the 18 for that very reason, Most of the time 18 would be perfect but I sometime end up carrying a bit more than I planned and often dive with n old school canister light when artifact hunting. A 23 might just be the ticket.

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:46 pm

I have the XS scuba 30LB wing that was being sold with the plate a few years ago. I modified it for use with a set of mini doubles. I have been on the lookout for a wing with a smaller profile at the top. This looks like it will work. I just need to see if holes line up.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:22 pm

The XS Scuba #30 is a great wing and unless you have worn it out I would keep it. They are tough as hell and use standard fittings so it should be good to go for years.

On the #23 and #30 Argonaut wings I asked that the lower slots be made longer so it would have more position options. Adding a grommet to them is easy and can be done at home.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:06 am

Resupply is here! In stock ready to ship
#18,#23,#30
ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:36 pm

Just for a reference rigged weight for the 23 pound lift wing and plate, 7 pounds and 6 ounces as follows:

VDH 23 pound wing
VDH aluminum plate
VDH shoulder pads
Full harness with (4) D-rings
Metal waist strap buckle
(2) XS Quick Release weight pouches (weight integrated)
(2) XS weight pouches on cambands
(1) XS quick remove weight (pouch for spool and SMB)
DR can light scabbard
(2) SP type cambands
One inch crotch strap and camera/scooter ring
DR emergency line cutter
SS Tekna Knife

Thanks to the internal bungee the wing presents nearly as small as my Oxy 18. Pretty dang light for a ready to go travel rig with a little extra capacity vs my usual Oxy 18 pound wing.

Nem

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:41 am

Liking the lengthened slots, nice improvement Bryan! A certain PITA should be shown that.....

Anyhow, seeing Christmas is here, and the family gift is Curacao over Easter, do I get the wife a small wing? She is diving a 30# and is quite short. I love my 18#, and think 23 would fit her well. I think those lengthened cam slots will now fit her DSS plate....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:20 am

rhwestfall wrote:Liking the lengthened slots, nice improvement Bryan! A certain PITA should be shown that.....

Anyhow, seeing Christmas is here, and the family gift is Curacao over Easter, do I get the wife a small wing? She is diving a 30# and is quite short. I love my 18#, and think 23 would fit her well. I think those lengthened cam slots will now fit her DSS plate....
After selling quite a few #18 wings I've yet to come across anyone who had fitment issues with the slots on it....But I'm no SB expert :lol:

Due to the perimeter bungee the #23 is only slightly larger than the #18 and weighs just a little over a pound. It should pack and travel very nicely.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”