georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Re: Argonaut #18 wing......Your opinion needed

Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:20 pm

Well, well, well - we finally got to open up the packages from VDH today which included the heavily discounted VDH plate and Argonaut 18 wing.

The first thing I noticed was the fit and finish of the new wing. It is exceptional in my opinion - from the quality of the inflator to the logo. Typical abuse resistant heavy nylon outer (sic) and I do like the way the bladder is bungeed as that feature pulls everything in when ambient pressure puts the squeeze on the unit when nearly empty. I measured overall length at 19 inch so it's even more compact that my Oxycheq 18 at 22 inch.

The wing is featherlight as well. I didn't have my scale on hand but the Argonaut 18 is considerably lighter dry than the Oxy 18.

We rigged the wing to the new VDH plate and set up the new harness for a new double hose initiate using my PRAMM and did our check out in the swimming pool.
She loves it and it looks great underwater. First thing I noticed was how minimally visible it is on the rig.

None of us dive overweighted and typically use 18-24 lb BCD's in full 1/4 inch wetsuits, hoods, hooded vests, boots and gloves- an 18 lb'er is more than sufficient in our experience in cold California waters.

As a travel wing - can't wait to pack this thing. It weighs next to nothing -
Overall- fit and finish - Outstanding
Value - Outstanding
Quality - Outstanding

They better get some more in stock because I've been looking forward to finding a replacement for the Oxy 18 for quite a while.

Would I buy another one? YES!

Nice job, VDH

couv
Master Diver

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:39 am

Thanks for posting those pix for me Bronze06. But now that I see them here with fresh eyes I've got a gripe.

I want my embroidered Argonaut patches proudly displayed on the edge of my wings-not obscured by the tank.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:03 am

georgeaustin wrote:Well, well, well - we finally got to open up the packages from VDH today which included the heavily discounted VDH plate and Argonaut 18 wing.

The first thing I noticed was the fit and finish of the new wing. It is exceptional in my opinion - from the quality of the inflator to the logo. Typical abuse resistant heavy nylon outer (sic) and I do like the way the bladder is bungeed as that feature pulls everything in when ambient pressure puts the squeeze on the unit when nearly empty. I measured overall length at 19 inch so it's even more compact that my Oxycheq 18 at 22 inch.

The wing is featherlight as well. I didn't have my scale on hand but the Argonaut 18 is considerably lighter dry than the Oxy 18.

We rigged the wing to the new VDH plate and set up the new harness for a new double hose initiate using my PRAMM and did our check out in the swimming pool.
She loves it and it looks great underwater. First thing I noticed was how minimally visible it is on the rig.

None of us dive overweighted and typically use 18-24 lb BCD's in full 1/4 inch wetsuits, hoods, hooded vests, boots and gloves- an 18 lb'er is more than sufficient in our experience in cold California waters.

As a travel wing - can't wait to pack this thing. It weighs next to nothing -
Overall- fit and finish - Outstanding
Value - Outstanding
Quality - Outstanding

They better get some more in stock because I've been looking forward to finding a replacement for the Oxy 18 for quite a while.

Would I buy another one? YES!

Nice job, VDH
EXCELLENT! Thank you. If you care to share this same info in the VDH section of FB here is the link to the post about the new wings

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/th ... ng.546753/

Then we will see if the "usual" person tries to trash it again.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”