Re: Wings

Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:50 pm

005_crop.jpg
002_crop_crop.jpg
The top pic is a Dive Rite venture wing that I modified by sewing the outer bag
I put a U shape in the top to allow for the reg

Pic 2 is the Oxy without the reg

Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aquala1
Lung Diver
First Name: Ty

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:53 pm

Thanks for the pics Scott. After starting this thread, I played around with my Scubapro wing a bit more. If I slip the wing up between the can and the valve neck, there's less bunching and the wing doesn't flex the plate at full inflation. It looks better, but I won't know if the air balances well in the wing until I dive it.

I did go ahead and order the Dive-rite wing that Bryan sells, so I'll see how it compares to the 30# SP wing once it arrives. Hopefully it will float a single steel 120 on the surface, as that was the only tank that was made available to me the last time I was in Cozumel. That really goes against my rule of thumb for only diving steel with a drysuit, and aluminums with a wetsuit, but when you're that far from home, you don't have a choice.

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:53 am

Once assembled, the wing is bunched under the can, which is unavoidable and I'm guessing as normal as it can be with this wing
I bought my plate with the 30# XS Scuba wing that was the only one available in the store at the time. I had been using an Express Tech with a single tank that was working out pretty good. The way the wing bunched under the cans really bugged me at the time so I put it aside for awhile. I ended up with a set of mini steel doubles that I coupled with that wing and plate and I'm super happy with it. The bunching does not cause a problem at all. I just tuck it back behind the cans out of the way.

Aquala1
Lung Diver

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:02 pm

The Dive-rite wing arrived from Bryan today, so I rigged it up this evening. It bunches far less than the 30# Scubapro wing, and it's square profile slips under the can better than the oval shape of the SP wing. Here are a few pics....

At first when I unboxed it, I wasn't wild about the two-tone gray/black colors, but once it was assembled, I think I like it better than if it were solid black.

Anyway, with it fully inflated it smoothed out under the can, so air should easily transfer from the left and right side.

So far, it looks like it's going to dive better than what I already had.

bbain
Vintage Diver

Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:57 pm

Has anyone tried the DGX Gears Single Tank Wing? A donut wing with 25 lbs lift seems like it would be a good fit for the VDH backplate.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:28 pm

What are the advantages of the DGX over the Dive Rite travel series or the HOG 23lb wing that are already established as good fits with the VDH plate?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:03 pm

To the OP:
You don't need those sex bolts in there. Without those in there, you can pull the wing down a little bit more until the cam band straps top out in the slots. The cam straps are the only secure connection you need from plate to wing. Still, you're not going to be putting so much air in there to interfere much with the can.
I don't connect an LP hose to the inflator either if I'm using a wing which is rare. I'll just mouth puff a touch in the bladder if needed - usually for a surface swim back to the boat or something.

I use the OxyCheq 18# wing and I dive 1/4 inch suit, boots, gloves hood, steel 72 and 85, 12 lbs of lead on a belt - never thought I needed more lift - 18 is plenty

Aquala1
Lung Diver

Thu May 04, 2017 4:07 pm

Ok guys, one more question. As you can see in the photo, the power inflator hose, and the corrugated inflation hose to the wing don't match up in length. There's a 7" difference. This is a Halcyon hose, but the Dive Right hose, that came with the wing, is the same length.

When connected, I get an arch of inflation hose, which isn't as streamlined as I'd like.

When diving, the power inflator does ride a little high on the left shoulder harness, but it's not a big deal. Optimally a bit longer would be better, but I don't know if 7" of extra length would be too much.

In my quest for streamlined perfection, should I try to find a shorter inflation hose, or find a longer corrugated hose, if there is such an animal?

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Thu May 04, 2017 5:21 pm

Aquala,

Lots of shorter LP hose lengths out there. My 2 psi. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu May 04, 2017 8:17 pm

You can also use this to make any length regulator hose into a quick disconnect hose for an inflator.

http://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/B ... p/46485312
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri May 05, 2017 12:03 am

The length of the LP hose is acceptable in my opinion. But you do need to have an elastic band on the shoulder strap to run the inflator hose though so it stays where you need it. YMMV

bbain
Vintage Diver

Sat May 06, 2017 8:51 pm

Bryan wrote:What are the advantages of the DGX over the Dive Rite travel series or the HOG 23lb wing that are already established as good fits with the VDH plate?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Not sure that there are any, for the DGX seems similar to the Dive Rite, but since there was a discussion of various wings, I thought I would ask.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:45 pm

Just for posterity, concerning Oxy Mach V wings. I have been using both an 18 and a 30 now for a number of years and now including on the VDH plate. There is absolutely no reason to cut the reinforcement flap at the hose to BC connection. There is no interference at all and the flap provides a longer life to that area. The offset connector and reinforcing flap are one of the reasons to use a Mach V. It is an area that has been deficient on other wings I have owned, not on these.

Of course, me and MC now own two of the new VDH Argonaut wings so that is what we will likely be sporting this coming year. But just to say it, both of my Oxy wings, despite considerable and heavy use, show any wear at all. They may outlive me and I am not planning on going anywhere soon other than diving.

My Oxy 18 even survived a tiger shark without a scratch who shoved me through the water from behind by my tank, flooded my mask and munched my strobe arm. They are tough wings and work perfect with double hose regulators.

And from the looks of the new VDH wings I should hardly expect less of them, they are N-I-C-E!

Nem

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”