Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

New hose idea to go with the new DSV

Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:44 pm

Ever since Luis started experimenting with weights on the standard hoses I have been fidgeting around with ideas for an alternative style hose loop that could be used with the new Argonaut DSV mouthpiece.
The hose in the picture is heavy durometer (harndess) EPDM specially sized for the new mouthpiece. Hose weights can be used and will have a removable nylon protective cover. Using this setup even more people will mistake your double hose for a rebreather :P
Still experimenting with the weights to determine if or how many would be needed to achieve close to neutral buoyancy with the new mouthpiece.
I have had requests and feedback from divers who like the idea of using the Argonaut for rebreather training and familiarization and a hose loop in this configuration would aid in that.
Many divers (myself included) can tear up an anvil in a sandbox ....These hoses along with the nylon covers are about as tough as it gets and still remain flexible enough to be comfortable. The added strength and durability should come in handy diving wrecks, around the rigs and anyplace else sharp edges or entanglements present a hazard for your loop.
It's time to take the ideas to Cozumel and dive them for a week and see what shakes out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

bbain
Vintage Diver

Re: New hose idea to go with the new DSV

Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:28 pm

Seeing this and the other posting about the DSV itself has led me to wonder where does one find hose weights?

Bill Bain
Atlanta

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:57 pm

I really like the heavier duty hose concept and the nylon covers. While I do in fact greatly enjoy the current silicone hoses and fully understanding the cons of EDPM rubber I am still of the mind there is a place for a heavy duty hose and it looks like Bryan is hot on the trail. I like it indeed.

James

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:32 pm

Overall they are the same length as the silicone but the stretch much further and should make diving with drysuits and or doubles a bit easier and for the really tall divers they should work out nicely as well.

EPDM hoses need to be stored straight and out of the sun for long term storage and should be disinfected annually to insure no bacteria grows. This hose is the same compound used by two major manufactures of rebreathers so I'm not really introducing anything new, just adapting it for use with a double hose.

I took pieces of the nylon cover material and left them in the pool for 5 days at a time then dried them in the sun for 5 days. Didn't rinse them off at all and even after 2 months they showed almost zero change. The velcro makes them easy to put on or take off as needs dictate and the diameter is large enough to use with or without hose weights and still leaves plenty of flex room for the hoses.

If testing in Cozumel proves out, the new DSV with this hose loop, weights and covers will be the standard for the Argonaut in the future.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:12 pm

:D You will have to offer a retrofit and upgrade kit for the "older" Argonauts :lol: . Dang it, I am already behind the cool kids and loosing ground :oops: .

James

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:53 pm

Nemrod wrote::D You will have to offer a retrofit and upgrade kit for the "older" Argonauts :lol: . Dang it, I am already behind the cool kids and loosing ground :oops: .

James
I really like my red hoses and 1st run mouth piece emblem! I think this may require buying a whole new reg!

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:16 am

You can use any of the hoses offered (including your red ones), but once you try the new mouthpiece system, you may never look back... I am just saying.

I will try to post some pictures tonight from last Saturdays pool test. I just haven't had time.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:15 pm

New DSV mouthpiece with new heavy EPDM hoses and nylon hose covers. Showing a lot of promise! Too many details to type on a tablet. Will share more when we get home.Image

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:09 pm

Ready to dive The Devils Throat today. I believe we had a total of 7 Argonaut Krakens in the water.Image

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:33 am

The heavy hoses and covers worked out great for me and I used them on all but 2 dives in Cozumel. I have a few details to work out but I think these will get green light go as well.
As the hoses are larger and the covers add to the diameter it will take some individual adjustment of the hose weights to get a comfortable fit that you will need to adjust to your individual fit and comfort and it will take a couple of dives to get used to the different feel the hose assembly has.
In the normal diving position using this setup it was not really necessary to bite on the mouthpiece to keep it in place and I found that the mouthpiece with the colored bite inserts and the comfort bite mouthpiece were most comfortable for me. I did not care for the standard short mouthpiece or the custom molded mouthpiece.
Since there is more mass to the entire assembly it is necessary to bite down more when rotating your head side to side but when returning to the normal looking forward position you can relax and basically let it float in place.

I have some video clips of me diving with it and one of me trying to cut or damage the covers on the one wreck we dove on. I'll post those as soon as I can get settled and the video sorted.

DAAquamaster
Skin Diver
First Name: Larry

Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:16 pm

I'm definitely on board with the heavier EPDM hoses.

I like them on my KISS Sidekick, and I've been using VDH's 1" EPDM hoses on my PRAM's with Hope-Paige mouthpieces. I much prefer the EPDM hoses as they are lower profile in the water and also seem to breathe a bit quieter than silicone hoses.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:59 am

I expect them to be in stock in the website store by the end of the month along with the nylon hose covers and hose weights to match. I made them approximately 1 1/2 longer than standard hoses and asked that the cuff on each end be left a little long to allow for customization by the end user. I know that many people will be experimenting with their own projects with these hoses.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:19 am

I have been using the nylon covers, not sure if they are the same as these, extensively since they were, uh, acquired. I love them :oops: . I am using them with the red Argonaut hoses. I had fooled around with various covers mostly trying to use those mesh rod covers with some success but dealing with the frayed ends I was never satisfied with the result. I liked the mesh because it did not hold air or sediment and are very light yet still protected the hoses. But, upon seeing these nylon covers I thought they might would be heavy and hold/trap air. This has not been the case at all, I quite like them a lot. They add stability to the hoses and prevent them from flapping against my head in current or behind a scooter. They at least partially obviated the need for hose weights. And obviously they provide significant protection for the hoses.

I have several sets of the older EDPM hoses and if anyone remembers those ugly but comfortable "super flow" versions, they are tough as nails, I guess I need to get a set of the new style to try. In any case, hose covers and EDPM hoses you would not be able to do much hose cutting :shock: if the bad guys were so equipped.

Nem

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:36 am

I didn't think there would be much interest in the nylon covers for the original hoses so I only had them made for the new larger hoses.......If there is some interest it's not difficult to have them made as they are manufactured over in Zephyrhills by the Zeagle plant.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:01 am

Bryan wrote:I didn't think there would be much interest in the nylon covers for the original hoses so I only had them made for the new larger hoses.......If there is some interest it's not difficult to have them made as they are manufactured over in Zephyrhills by the Zeagle plant.
By larger Bryan do you mean longer or diameter?

I want to recommend highly the hose covers for the standard silicone hoses, be they black, yellow or Argonaut red hoses. Not only do they look cool and garner tons of attention from other divers, they definitely have practical benefits and I have seen no real negatives. They do stiffen the hoses a bit (and I take that as a good thing) but I have not noticed them to cause pulling of the mouthpiece or restrictions to movement and I am kind of sensitive to that so I think not. The ones I have are of a nylon material with a very tight weave, they have no tendency to snag. I am sure a treble hook bait would grab them, maybe, but maybe also save your hose :lol: .

Silicone is a wonderful material for the hoses and any material, neoprene, EDPM, what have you, has pluses and minuses, the silicone has an awful lot of positives but they do seem to make more noise and float about a bit more and silicone is notch sensitive. The nylon covers for those diving in a rugged environment (such as wreck penetration, low viz etc.), I would recommend having a set for that if not just for general use.

As to hose length, I like the current hose lengths, I can see a little longer for the big guys and for the tank draggers, but just little ol' me, I am quite fine with the current (standard) length. Which is already longer than the old stuff. But, again, to be clear, I can see why some folks might desire a slightly longer hose.

Did I mention they sorta look really cool :mrgreen: .

Nem

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”