Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: New hose idea to go with the new DSV

Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:34 am

Nemrod wrote: By larger Bryan do you mean longer or diameter?

Nem
YES and YES......Some time ago I spoke with a group of rebreather divers up at Ginnie Springs. I showed them one of the printed sample DSV's I was diving and all of them thought that if the hose loop size more closely matched those of a rebreather there would be some real opportunities for using the Argonaut Kraken with the DSV for training. Ryan Spence told me something similar when we were trying to get the Kraken going.
I had some special compound hoses made in the silicone hose mold and was just not satisfied with them so I went back to my original idea for these hoses and ordered some.
The nylon covers made for the larger hoses will work on standard ones but I'm afraid they might fit a little loose....BUT I can always make covers for the standard hoses if interest is there.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrWv4PD ... jhbw9e4xvy[/video]

VDH/ VDH Worldwide LLC does not sell, support, recommend or promote any of its products for use with rebreathers PERIOD... Furthermore I strongly suggest that divers using rebreathers use only products and supplies recommend and supported by the respective rebreather manufacturer.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:34 pm

Okay, I see. Next time you get some in I will have to get a set to try. I wonder if the larger diameter has the potential to decrease breathing effort or was the larger diameter primarily to be similar to the rebreather loop?

James

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:20 pm

Nemrod wrote:Okay, I see. Next time you get some in I will have to get a set to try. I wonder if the larger diameter has the potential to decrease breathing effort or was the larger diameter primarily to be similar to the rebreather loop?

James
It was not a scientific approach more of a trial and error till I got the hoses that I thought were best. The new hose loop is TOUGH and can be configured a bunch of different ways to suit the end user. The Argonaut Kraken venturi coupled with the diverter in the new DSV will flow more air than anyone needs even if you were using one of my first failed hose attempts. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:49 pm

Those are a little short Bryan, do not you think? :lol: They appear to be kink resistant though!

Good to hear then of the new hoses, might be just the thing to try out.

Speaking of printing, when I was in Germany recently I visited the Gutenberg Press museum. Really quite a thing to see. But after taking the tour with the earliest printing tools all the way up to now takes one from hand set type and leaves one standing in front of a 3D printer that was printing small copies of the Gutenberg press before the very eyes.

James

ebj
Lung Diver

Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:52 pm

I've been using epdm hoses I got from Bryan with my phoenix for several years. They have stood up to lots of abuse spearfishing under the oil and gas platforms off the Texas coast and get no special treatment back on the boat. I really can't see a need for the protective hose covers. The hose material is tough enough by itself.
Ernie

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:34 pm

ebj wrote:I've been using epdm hoses I got from Bryan with my phoenix for several years. They have stood up to lots of abuse spearfishing under the oil and gas platforms off the Texas coast and get no special treatment back on the boat. I really can't see a need for the protective hose covers. The hose material is tough enough by itself.
Good to hear from you Ernie!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:13 am

WOW!!! Just got the SUPER EPDM hoses in. Talk about bomb-proof. They are super thick and heavy. The weight is a plus on several levels, You need less weight on your belt or BC, the weighty thickness is excellent for protection and durability and they really don't need to be weighed down with rings (IMO). Great stretch-ability as promised and the extra length is a plus as well. :D They could be a viable replacement for the 1961 DAAM flex hoses, but must be used with their supplied hose ties as they are REALLY thick.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:33 pm

While not as refined as the silicone original style hoses they are about as tough as you can get. Nylon covers for them are in route.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”