Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Voit Titan II "Specter" FX HPR

Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:03 pm

:twisted: :twisted: Hey Again Folks,

I have just completed my Titan II FX project and it came out really cool. Big shout out to everyone Bryan, Luis, etc. for the advice. Extra kudos for Rob at The Scuba Museum for the FX cans and new hoses. I am calling it the Voit Titan II "Spectre "FX-HPR. I've incorporated the original 2nd stage as a slave "octo" who will now work for "Spectre".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bronze06
Master Diver

This one's for Dave the Rediver

Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:18 am

Bronze06 wrote::twisted: :twisted: Hey Again Folks,

I have just completed my Titan II FX project and it came out really cool. Big shout out to everyone Bryan, Luis, etc. for the advice. Extra kudos for Rob at The Scuba Museum for the FX cans and new hoses. I am calling it the Voit Titan II "Specter "FX-HPR. I've incorporated the original 2nd stage as a slave "octo" who will now work for "Specter".
This was the first one and a second one lies completed and needs pool testing. I retract my statement that these would be the only two as I have just acquired a third Titan II. What can I say.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

reddiver
Lung Diver
First Name: David

Re: Voit Titan II "Specter" FX HPR and another one

Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:40 am

for Russ, Just completed my Voit Titan II DH HPR-R ( Double Hose HPR with Reserve) . Thanks for all the advise from the forum members and parts from VDH and Scuba Museum. Had my machinist thread in the HPR so I wouldn't mess it up and its ready to dive when Rhode Island waters warms up some. May take Herman's advice and remove the reserve so I can put my HP hose in that port.
Voit TItan II DH HPR-R.jpg
Back View Voit Titan II DH HPR-R.jpg
Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bronze06
Master Diver

Re: Voit Titan II "Specter" FX HPR

Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:30 pm

Looks Great Dave! Sorry about not getting back to this post until now, catching up on a lot of stuff. How'd it dive? I've just completed another one and took it out for a spin two weeks ago and it breathes just fantastic. Pictures to follow.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bronze06
Master Diver

Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:11 am

Here are some pics. It dove great!

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bronze06
Master Diver

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:25 pm

Just finished up on two more Voit Titan II "Specter" FX HPRs. Going to the Red Sea this weekend and diving both!!! YEEE HAW!!

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:39 pm

Does the spg thread right into the j-valve port? Threading required? Adapters?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:01 am

The Titan/Trieste came 2 different ways. The J valve model and one with a solid plug (standard models) in place of the J valve. Additionally, a plug with a 3/8-24 hole in it for an SPG was offered as an option. If your reg has a J valve, you have to remove it and find a plug. Rob at the Scuba Museum has recently made replacement plugs but I do not think they have the port in them.

While on the subject, I will mention again that the J valve seat in ALL Voit products was prone to getting hard and shattering into pieces. If you have a J valve model, it is important you dissemble it , remove the soft seat and make sure all fragments of it are removed. The J valve will no longer function....although it likely didn't anyway...but you remove the chance of seat fragments working their way through the reg.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:12 pm

Herman wrote: While on the subject, I will mention again that the J valve seat in ALL Voit products was prone to getting hard and shattering into pieces. If you have a J valve model, it is important you dissemble it , remove the soft seat and make sure all fragments of it are removed. The J valve will no longer function....although it likely didn't anyway...but you remove the chance of seat fragments working their way through the reg.
Rob now makes a new plug for this. CLICK HERE
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bronze06
Master Diver

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:03 am

tripplec wrote:Does the spg thread right into the j-valve port? Threading required? Adapters?

On the green one, I have an LP splitter that allows a BC LP hose to come around to the left side of the diver. For the SPG I have had to use an adapter for modern hoses. They both dove and breathed great this weekend. Took them both to depths of 75 and 80 feet. Wonderful. Both are dialed in at approximately 132 IP.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:03 pm

Bronze06 wrote:
tripplec wrote:Does the spg thread right into the j-valve port? Threading required? Adapters?

On the green one, I have an LP splitter that allows a BC LP hose to come around to the left side of the diver. For the SPG I have had to use an adapter for modern hoses. They both dove and breathed great this weekend. Took them both to depths of 75 and 80 feet. Wonderful. Both are dialed in at approximately 132 IP.
My tanks are mostly hp, so I rarely use the mr12, but the titan second stage is my favorite single hose. When my modern plastic reg iced at 80' in 37* water, my titan finished the dive down to 130'. We would have gone deeper if I could have turned on the tank my free flowing plastic thing was on. But now that I have a sp109, my precious mr12 and titan are in my dresser drawer next to my pilot.

Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Bronze06
Master Diver

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:55 am

I really like the MR12/ Titan II 2nd stages as well, that is why when I do a conversion of a Titan II to a DH regulator, I keep the 2nd stage as my octo. They are bomb proof 2nds and complement the FX "Spectre" well. Bryan has new silicon diaphragms (Mares Abyss) that are an exact fit, so why not keep the 2nd stage as an active reg.? I have the early 1970s set of MR12/Bullseye 2nds that I have had on tanks that contain 3300 psi and have dove them at that pressure with no problems.
With regards to the SP R109, it is IMO still the best metal body 2nd stage out there, with the MR12 2nd stage coming in a close second. As far as plastic is concerned, my personal favorite is the SP R190, period. They have never failed me in cold or hot water and are the most bomb-proof of any plastic bodied 2nd stage out there.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”