Goodlifedivers
Master Diver
First Name: Danny

Silicone diaphragm question

Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:59 pm

I just finished rebuilding a jet air and wanted to replace the older diaphragm with a new silicone one.

Problem is the jet air has a groove that the diaphragm sits in. It seems like the new ones fit but don't exactly fit into the groove. Can I use it by just getting it as close a fit as possible? Or do people really push the diaphragm into the groove to force it to fit?

I know this reg isn't going to breathe as smoothly as a mistral but should it be a little bit startling? Or honky?

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Re: Silicone diaphragm question

Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:05 am

You are ahead of me in this area as I have never rebuilt a "Jet Air". Ask Robohips on the forum, he fricken sells those things all the time and makes new cans for his FX regs. He, or any of the Plank owners would know.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Silicone diaphragm question

Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:25 pm

As the can halves are screwed together the diaphragm lip will move into the groove on it's own. These diaphragms have been used in hundreds of single stage regulators with polymer cans both USD and Voit over the last 10 years with no issues that I'm aware of.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”