Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

New DSV Mouthpiece Coming soon!

Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:24 pm

I combined the info from several threads into this one to keep things clear and avoid confusion if at all possible.

Here is what we know so far.

1. The new DSV (dive surface valve) will work with your standard 1-1/2" hoses found on the majority of double hose regulators. It will allow you the option of shutting off the mouthpiece opening at the surface to prevent free flow.
2. You will be able to use the mouthpiece of your choice. You have dozens of options available from the single hose regulator market. I will stock several varieties in the store so you can buy one with your DSV or get it without one and use a mouthpiece you may already like using.
3. I may crowdfund it depending on how much money I have at the time the testing of our prototypes is done. I will still use my own funds to get the molds made but may need the crowd to get the production run done. I won't ask you to crowdfund a product that is not real, tested and proven with a money back guarantee if I don't deliver.
4 Retail price will be $80.00 This will be the standard that comes on them in the future. There will also be another cash saving option for those wishing to buy multiples for all their regulators.
5. I'll update here and on the VDH social media outlets as testing continues. Luis,Herman and I are working hard on it but I'm not rushing it to market till we are 100% satisfied with the product.
___________________________________________________________________________________________
by luis » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:50 am

The Hope Page concept was good, but the valves are a bit small for good low resistance to flow (it may not be noticeable during relax light breathing).

I use the standard hoses (1.5" ID) with a couple of Hope Page MP by adding a rubber sleeve to take up the gap. I will post pictures latter (like in a week).

The other issue with any of this type of MP is that the extra length of the replaceable byte creates a bit of a moment arm. That combined with the buoyancy of the hoses can become uncomfortable in a long dive. Our new design will address and solve those issues and have other advantages.
Luis
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Bronze06 wrote:
Hey Bryan,

Granted $200.00 is about what me and my buddy were thinking if we sold a reconstituted Hope-Page, the difference would be that ours would be made of 4032
T-6.
Bryan
As I said earlier in this thread the new mouthpiece will cost around $80.00 with a discount for Argonaut owners as it will be the standard on them in the future
Bronze06
That being said $200.00 is cheap compared to a DSV and you have a lot of kooky people who would buy one just to be the first kid on their block to have it. You might as well put me down for one when you guys are done with prototyping and R&D. :twisted:
Bryan
As I said earlier and on many other threads...We are developing DSV style mouthpiece....Dive Surface Valve......Currently you can buy a DSV mouthpiece made for the Drager Revo rebreather for around $260.00. It is the most inexpensive DSV mouthpiece currently on the market. It looks similar to a Hope Paige with a small lever on the front to shut it on or off.

http://www.diveseekers.com/mouthpiece_d ... r-r532.htm

Ours will do the exact same thing with an improved design over the Drager and will be 70% cheaper .....I'm making lots of them so no need for a pre order list.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Re: New DSV Mouthpiece Coming soon!

Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:55 am

Bryan,

Sounds way cool. Just let me know when and how much and I am sooo there.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Master Diver
First Name: Kim

Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:54 am

Crowd Funding, Funding, Fund-able. I'm there.

To be apart of this is just so 8) 8) 8) 8)
Kim,
Ocean Trekker, Dangerous When Wet.
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" Douglas Barder.

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:33 pm

Looking forward to this being another great product from VDH. You can count me in on the crowd-funding.

Thanks for sharing this exciting news with the community.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:01 am

Unfortunately I have to go to Bonaire next week for testing 8)
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Creed
Master Diver

Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:13 pm

Bryan wrote:Unfortunately I have to go to Bonaire next week for testing 8)
It's a rough job, but someone needs to do it.
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

crimediver
Master Diver

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:39 pm

The things you have to do for a tax write-off... :)

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:25 pm

crimediver wrote:The things you have to do for a tax write-off... :)
VDH would need to be in the black before taxes were an issue :)

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:11 am

crimediver wrote:The things you have to do for a tax write-off... :)
I plan on going to Mexico in a week and a half to do empirical testing on the psycho-social-legal ramifications on combining the consumption of beer with fishing. I assume that is a tax write-off of some kind. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:00 pm

Hey Mark, do you need a good test subject? I can do those things. :D
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:35 am

antique diver wrote:Hey Mark, do you need a good test subject? I can do those things. :D
Come on down! I'll be in Puerto Aventuras, Quintana Roo, Feb. 14-21. Gonna try and get in a few cave dives. Mark.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:02 pm

I am in for the crowd funding. Just let me know.

Dang you guys :shock: .

Nem

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:53 am

After 15 or more dives in Bonaire with our ideas for a DSV mouthpiece I can confirm some of the issues that Luis and Herman came across in Cozumel.
The problems with this style mouthpiece when used with open circuit scuba are not obvious at 1st but after using one for a while they become very obvious. I need to thank Luis for cooling my jets and not letting me make and sell the design I first wanted. I was totally sold on it and despite the look and function I think most of you would have thrown it at me after using my first idea for a few dives and in plain English It sucked and was uncomfortable to use no matter what modern bitepiece was on it.
More details as we progress.

I realize that in no way is the DSV Classic or Traditional to the double hose....But having the ability to switch off the airflow while doing shore dives, visiting on the surface or waiting your turn for the ladder is about as handy as a pocket on a shirt. Allowing us a little extra time to perfect the design will be well worth the wait.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:11 pm

R&D Baby, R&D! Sounds like you have it well in hand and yes, product testing and evaluation is a sound business expense and is a definite tax write off! Even if it is in Bonaire. :D
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:39 pm

There are several factors to making this mouthpiece a success that are not or I should say were not apparent from the beginning. What seemed like a relatively simple product to produce is proving to be a challenge. We know how to make it...what to make it from.. and who is going to make it. The devil is getting it right the first time. The experiments thus far show hidden failure points of existing DSV's and our ideas for a DSV as well. If I were to produce any of the mouthpieces that we have tried so far divers would demand refunds after only a dive or two. Luis and I have discussed the issues that still need resolving and we have a game plan. He is testing another version in Cayman very soon :D

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”