swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: New DSV Mouthpiece Coming soon!

Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:38 pm

luis wrote:Here I am showing one side blocked

Other side:

Both:

This gives you an indication of the lever height, but I will expand on this more later. You should not need to do anything with the lever height. It should be fine, but I will explain how to check it later. I am just using the scale as a straight edge.

I am pressing a bit with my Mistral tool. Again, more later.

The nozzle points down the full diameter horn. The nozzle flow forms a cone. That is why I designed the can with a full circular tube horn.

The vintage metal cans are attractive and they work well, but the rectangular horn base is not ideal to develop maximum venturi flow. They are good enough for most flow rates, but the Argonaut can was optimized for all flow rates and the DSV flow diverter is essential to take advantage of the maximum venturi flow.

This can was optimized for production (with the soldered or brazed horns) not for flow performance. The rectangular horn base is the same as in the early Broxton regulators with no induced venturi flow at all.

A full sized circular tube horn would have been much more difficult to attach with a clean transition on this can.

I will be adding more later and I will probably separate this post into a new thread talking about optimizing the overall Argonaut performance, but I needed to provide some advance information.

I hope this helps.
I made up some washers like Luis did and gave this a try. I attained really poor results. Hmmm..... So, I took the washers back out and the reg seemed to breath just fine. It still left me scratching my head though as I did a similar thing with my Phoenix when the HPR first came out and that worked great. So, I went back in and checked the lever height and second stage adjustment. A little wobbly. Hmmm.... My Kraken has a few miles on it now and has been down to 150 at Fortune Pond several times in cold water. I think was happened here is just a matter of the second stage seat molding to the orifice over time. Normal wear and tear as would be expected. I readjusted the second stage, closed up the cans, put a hose on and tried it on the bench. There was a nice improvement in performance. I then took it apart and reinstalled the washers and tried it again. We're cookin' with gas now! Holy mackerel ! Can't wait for Lake Michigan to calm down for a real test. So, especially if you have been diving for a while, make sure your second stage is set properly and you will be good to go.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:05 pm

swimjim wrote:
I readjusted the second stage, closed up the cans, put a hose on and tried it on the bench. There was a nice improvement in performance. I then took it apart and reinstalled the washers and tried it again. We're cookin' with gas now! Holy mackerel ! Can't wait for Lake Michigan to calm down for a real test. So, especially if you have been diving for a while, make sure your second stage is set properly and you will be good to go.
That is why I posted the pictures about the lever height and three posts earlier I was talking about checking the cracking effort.

The venturi flow is an aerodynamic flow pattern that creates a relative vacuum at a point (area) where the flow has being accelerated, in this case by the jet exhaust of the second stage. That vacuum in this case will assist in holding the diaphragm down, but that will only happen if the force required to hold the diaphragm is low enough. That is the reason why a low cracking effort is still required.

Having a low cracking effort in combination with a reliably powerful venturi flow will provide the best stable performance in a double hose regulator. And to take advantage of that venturi flow, the flow diverter will direct the flow into the divers mouth without any blow-by wasted air.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:09 pm

I guess I just caught the part about not needing to adjust the second stage. Yes, that was in your posts. But whatever.............................................. :roll:

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:51 pm

luis wrote:
The write up is easy, but I want to have some good and accurate pictures to go with it. Coming up with good picture that accurately show what I want is a bit time consuming. I am working on two regulators for friends this weekend, so I hope to have good picture by the end of the weekend.

The primary change to improve the performance is actually very easy and simple. If everything is tuned properly, the only change is to block both of the side ports. That alone will induced a very good and very repeatable venturi flow during inhalation.

The venturi flow in combination with a low cracking suction will sustain the air flow while there is any demand. The diverter will not allow any air flow to be waster out the exhaust. But I have observed that the inhalation effort is nonexistent once flow is initiated.

For those who want the ultimate in performance, there are a few checks that the owner may want to make, to optimize the regulator. Some things are easy to check and adjust, like lever height and IP. The cracking effort is not hard to measure if you have the right set-up.

I hope to have more next week.

Thanks
Jim,

I am sorry if I was not clear.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:20 pm

It was worth the wait. I wish I had the DSV earlier this summer. I hate cold water and my heavy semi-dry, yuk. Nonetheless I managed to penetrate the forbidding blackness of big TRL to investigate more BS regarding sunken townsites and similar ghost stories, yeah, there are ghosts here, both from the sunken graves and the numerous lost divers. I think I saw Ichabod go riding by complete with headless horse. Scary. Viz was not enough to warrant getting my camera wet though below the thermocline it was tolerable, not like the last few years where there has been 30 foot viz below the thermocline (or more).

Love the DSV, really does improve the way the regulator delivers air, very nice. Takes the Kraken to a new level.

Nem

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:40 pm

Thanks for the kind words!
You may not be aware of this but I did you a favor years ago when I was a kid and killed all the 10' long man eating catfish that used to prowl the depths of TR Lake.....Even the ones that used to hide in the intakes at the dam that swallowed divers whole....Some I took noodeling others with my Nemrod Clipper II. Your welcome.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:05 pm

Haints above and haints below and giant catfish, what's not to love with that :shock: .

I was a little understated in my evaluation, not intentional, that is because I had an idea of what to expect so the surprise was partially spoiled having used the early (very early) protypes. One of them kept aspirating water into my larnyx :mrgreen: . I must say, this production unit is nothing like that and nothing short of fantastic. The vane works better, the closure mechanism works great and the unit is water tight. What is not to love with that. :D Ghost stories and tales of giant catfish that could swallow Jaws aside. A Nemrod Clipper eh :D .

Nem

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue May 02, 2017 9:40 am

Had requests for a re-usable clamp for the Argonaut DSV mouthpiece. Luis and I considered using these from the start but the install with the cobra head ties looked much cleaner I chose that option instead.

Installs easy with open jaw pliers... To remove just lift the tab on the top and twist to the side. Clamps get easier to open and close after repeated use.

See website store to purchase........These will come standard along with the cobra head ties with all new DSV's and DSV hose loops so you will have the option of which you want to use.
20170502_092603.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed May 03, 2017 5:16 pm

- I gave the Argonaut and the new DSV an unplanned, extra difficult breathing test while diving with my wife off the coast of Saba Island in the Caribbean last week. We were the first divers to return to the boat and a heavy side current got us into trouble under the bow of the boat... Which was bouncing up and down over our heads. The "Granny Line" was strung on the up current side of the boat. And like a dumb lake diver, I fought the current trying to drag us both out from under the boat to the Granny line. But when I grabbed on, it just went limp and followed us and the current back under the boat. Finally, I gave up and swam us back to the safety of the anchor line.
- All of this maximum exertion got my old, out of shape 63 year old self totally out of breath and I was sucking extremely hard on my DSV mouthpiece and Argonaut. If I was gonna have to a heart attack, that would have been more than enough to set it off. We rested a little on the anchor line and finally just floated around the lee side of the boat to exit at the stern ladder. Cripes! Don't fight the current.
- I have to say that under the most extreme demands that I hope I'll never again put on it, the Argonaut and the DSV performed perfectly. Nothing froze up or broke loose. I got all the air my lungs could suck, as fast as I could suck.. And as hard as I could suck. Afterwards I went to my cabin for a nap and my wife went to the bow of the boat to direct the other divers to the lee side.

BTW... My wife's regulator is a ScubaPro 109 that was serviced and upgraded by Couv... Also performed with distinction!
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:44 pm

This is what an Argonaut DSV looks like after being underwater for more than a year in my pool.
I'll do a video of it when I tear it down.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:17 pm

I've always loved me a good torture test.

It reminds me of Wyler's watch tests:

http://www.watchonista.com/2914/watchon ... tem-part-1
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:14 am

Again, I cannot comment enough on how much this mouthpiece makes my diving enjoyable. Surface time waiting for my buddy to splash, or swimming/floating for the boat is so much friendlier with being able to close down the DSV. Also, the "choose your own mouthpiece", just WOW! We did over an hour of bottom time yesterday, and the comfort is a joy. Dove the '67 PRAM. I love the deep sound of the exhaust from this reg.

Keep up the good work!
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:35 pm

Luis, Herman and I are working on a alternative type of clamp for the mouthpiece end of the DSV hose loop. I'll post it here and also the website store when it's ready.

I went with the Cobra head ties as they look good, are streamlined and worked great during testing.......Feedback from the depths and hundreds of divers using the DSV has led us down the path of options. Some felt the original clamp was difficult to feel when using gloves and could be problematic to index correctly. Couple months ago I put the large ratcheting style clamps in the store which provide a rest for your thumb and more leverage when turning and are a good alternative.
Luis and Herman had one that we worked with before the DSV came out but I didn't have the extra $$$ to get one of the parts made.
With the help of a few silent backers we will have a third option available in a few weeks. Stay tuned here for updates.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:01 am

Another "success story" regarding the DSV. Splashed in the River yesterday. Buddy went in too light, and never showed up. Heavy boat traffic, and I was not at all thrilled to ascend as he had the flag. Pulled out my DSMB, big inhale, close DSV, fill marker, and let it fly. Reach up, recover hoses, put it in my mouth, and just a tiny puff to clear, open, and all is good. I've fiddled with it before, but this is the first time it was "for real".

I frequently say this, but again, "Nice job Bryan!"
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

tbone1004
Master Diver
First Name: Tom

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:25 am

took mine out to Jocassee. Did a few drills at depth with the DSV and all worked well. Definitely noticing it is a bit stiff to turn for the first turn of the day, but after it gets in the water it smooths out quite a bit. Took her to 160ft on some light trimix as well and performed admirably. Made a grave error on my backplate for the first bit and had the tank up a bit too high which caused some WoB issues. Took the rig off, shifted it down, and it got back to basically effortless

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”