Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: New DSV Mouthpiece Coming soon!

Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:27 pm

rhwestfall wrote:I have been thinking about that use (on the horns)....... quite interested in the mod you did.

Thanks for the "heads up" on the concerns re: force they can apply.

VDH is always working.....Unfortunately our R&D projects usually exceed our bank account and need time to catch up.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:25 am

Mine came in the mail today :D . My Argonauts are wagging their red (orange) hoses in glee at their soon to be installed DSVs. Well, one is paying a visit to Master Luis at the moment. Hope his cat does not chew on it ( :shock: ).

These DSVs will end the dependence upon the PMDSV, which was not a bad thing and worked surprisingly well, if not very well, but this brings the Argonaut solidly into the realm of a completely new, modern, full featured regulator. Darn, this has not been much of a dive year for me due to work requirements and busy with work related travel and away next week again. Just coming back from two plus weeks in SoFla though and gear still drying. Just missed out having a DSV for the trip, darn, darn, sure could have used it no kidding. Have to figure some place to get this wet. I had used the experimental versions way back but this production unit has evolved way beyond those. Cannot wait to try it out. May have to bug the lifeguards in the spring board pool (it is 20 feet deep).

Nice job Luis and Bryan and all involved. Another winner! Thanks for staying with it. No worries on the tee shirt, I have too many. I can wait if you want.

James

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:04 am

John up in Maine is headed out now to try his out!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:00 pm

Mine came this afternoon and will be in Lake Michigan tomorrow morning. Just need to decide which wrecks to dive on. I'll have to get my dive buddy to take some pic's.

Jim

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:34 pm

I will be posting a new thread soon on how to take full advantage of your new Argonaut DSV with the flow diverter.

You can just use it as it is, but by adjusting the Argonaut you can truly kick the performance up a few notches. There is nothing magical to the adjustment, most divers should be able to do it.

It is the same basic adjustments to lower the cracking effort down below 1 inWC (close to 0.7 inWC) and then the most important is to increase the venturi flow.

Increasing the venturi flow effect is easy. You just need to block the two side bleed holes on the second stage. It is really that simple.

Today I have been adjusting several regulators and I have been taking a lot of pictures. I will post this pictures when I have a chance.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

couv
Master Diver

Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:27 pm

luis wrote:I will be posting a new thread soon on how to take full advantage of your new Argonaut DSV with the flow diverter.

You can just use it as it is, but by adjusting the Argonaut you can truly kick the performance up a few notches. There is nothing magical to the adjustment, most divers should be able to do it.

It is the same basic adjustments to lower the cracking effort down below 1 inWC (close to 0.7 inWC) and then the most important is to increase the venturi flow.

Increasing the venturi flow effect is easy. You just need to block the two side bleed holes on the second stage. It is really that simple.

Today I have been adjusting several regulators and I have been taking a lot of pictures. I will post this pictures when I have a chance.
I usually have the Kraken's design engineer and the manufacturer as part of my travel entourage, 8) and they normally take care of any maintenance my regulator requires. But I may take a crack at fine tuning it to the new DSV after Luis post the show and tell.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:19 pm

couv wrote:
I usually have the Kraken's design engineer and the manufacturer as part of my travel entourage, 8) and they normally take care of any maintenance my regulator requires.
This really does not help to dispel being labeled as a " Caribbean Luxury Diver"

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:34 pm

John W diving his DSV equipped Argonaut Kraken off the cost of Maine yesterday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2THDIVR
Master Diver
First Name: Scott

Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:07 pm

Got out this morning and the DSV worked great.
Sorry no pictures, the viz was 1'-2'
Did a 1.5 hr. dive and no jaw fatigue or discomfort. So I got the hose rotation right.
Used 3 hose weights on each side.
Will have to try a different mouth piece, the bite tabs on the one I used are long ( maybe cut them back ) and rubbed the sides of my tongue.
Another great product from VDH

Scott

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:59 pm

Thanks for the feedback Scott and John.....I think we have a report coming in from Michigan sometime today as well.

You may have to experiment with mouthpieces to find one that is just right......I've seen divers trim down the long bite mouthpieces and some swear by the moldable rite bite styles.

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:00 pm

Looking forward to getting my DSV set up and in the water soon. One of my friends just got his certification today down at Bonne Terre mine so I'm looking forward to diving the mine with my Kraken/DSV . Thanks Bryan and minions for making sure the DSV was perfect before you released it for sale. Big Mike
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:17 am

Here's one in action. Location S.S. Niagara, Lake Michigan, Belgium Wisconsin. Depth 55 feet max, water temp 54 degree's F.

I did two dives with mine yesterday and put about 75 minutes on it. The Argonaut Kraken is already a great reg, but the DSV kicks it up yet another notch. I set mine up with two weights per hose. After using this set up for a while I found it to be a very comfortable set up. Almost like it is not there. I fiddled with it some at depth, about 50 feet. I intentionally put some water in the mouth piece and the purge function works well. I might have to buy another to use with my Hot DAAM! Great Job guys! :D

DAAquamaster
Skin Diver
First Name: Larry

Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:21 am

I took one of mine for a spin in the pool during Rum Runner dive shop's grand opening, and then took the other one on an OW dive on Sunday on my KISS Sidekick rebreather. They both worked great.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:42 pm

Took my DSV for a spin off Kona, Hawaii. Worked flawlessly. Between all the dolphin swimming up to us and the 12' Tiger shark that thought we were slightly interesting, I managed to get a few self-pics in. Note the guy diving next to me. He had every dangly add-on do-dah thing there was hanging from him. I was using my Kraken with one of Allan's Travel Harnesses. Along with my Voit "Skin Diver" fins that was about it. The crew of the local dive boat was great. The 3 dive masters had a combined total of 10 years of diving experience, only one had heard of Sea Hunt (I wore my Sea Hunt Forever T-Shirt of course). They had endless questions about the Kraken. They politely asked if they could photograph the regulator and email the pic to their boss. I said sure. The boss promptly emailed back advising he knew all about it, that it was the exact same design as the new USD Mistral, and that all that was done to it was to reconfigure the Titan first stage into a round set of cans, oh, and add red hoses. I explained to the crew their boss was a complete idiot (to which they promptly agreed since he wasn't present and we all became fast friends). I did pull up a description of the Kraken from the website - may have been the one Luis put together - and read it to them off my phone. They were all suitably impressed. Mark.
DSV 3a.jpg
DSV 1e.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:27 pm

Bravo! Don't tell them you are diving with a regulator outfitted with a "contraband" mouthpiece now :wink:

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”