DAAquamaster
Skin Diver
First Name: Larry

Re: New DSV Mouthpiece Coming soon!

Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:34 pm

I ran into Herman at the quarry a couple week ends ago and got a look at one of the final preproduction DSVs. It looks great!

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:06 am

Well for once I'm a little further ahead of schedule than usual.....UPS was here bright and early so I'm getting down to business as quickly as I can today.
Backers of the DSV project should expect theirs to ship by end of the week with another big THANK YOU from Luis, Herman and I for believing in the project and helping to make it happen. New DSV is available to order in the website store again along with choices of mouthpieces and hose weights.

I do have to admit a huge blunder though......As I've been fighting tooth and nail for the last couple of months with the manufacturer to get these done I totally forgot to order the T-shirts for the backers of the project. It's a little late to do so now so if you ordered one with your DSV you can expect a refund for them through PayPal sometime this week. 100% my fault and no excuses given for my screw up on this one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:15 pm

And your new DSV comes with a kit for service in the future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:05 am

Loving that logo on the front of the DSV!

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:00 pm

Drado wrote:Loving that logo on the front of the DSV!
Thank You! Those are actually the 2nd group of labels.....first ones had clear backgrounds but try as I might I could not get them in place without a fingerprint on the adhesive that showed through....grrrrrrr.

All the hits on th new DSV have temporarily shut the website store down.....Ron is working on it.....I needed a break anyhow.....I had no idea how popular they were going to be :)

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

DAAquamaster
Skin Diver
First Name: Larry

Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:54 pm

I'm glad I ordered early.

I'm curious to see if it has potential to work with the hoses on my KISS Sidekick, as it is a lot lower profile than the KISS DSV. And KISS has a bad habit of charging $40 for a $2 mushroom valve, and not shipping things all that quickly.

If it does it opens up an entirely new potential market.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:19 pm

DAAquamaster wrote:I'm glad I ordered early.

I'm curious to see if it has potential to work with the hoses on my KISS Sidekick, as it is a lot lower profile than the KISS DSV. And KISS has a bad habit of charging $40 for a $2 mushroom valve, and not shipping things all that quickly.

If it does it opens up an entirely new potential market.
Not trying to rain on a parade and I hope your experiments go well but let me be clear.. VDH/ VDH Worldwide LLC does not sell, support, recommend or promote any of its products for use with rebreathers PERIOD... Furthermore I strongly suggest that divers using rebreathers use only products and supplies recommend and supported by the respective rebreather manufacturer.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:05 am

They sure look cool. Do they come with those decals? I could have used one of those a few weeks ago when I swallowed half the ocean trying to get that PMDSV plug into the mouthpiece with one hand without dropping my camera (yes it was tethered but--!!!!--the water was awfully deep and I will drown before I drop my camera and will in fact fight a Tiger shark for it and did) and still manipulating my dive marker sausage (and making sure that shark was not still about :mrgreen: ). It occurred to me about that time that I was not especially having fun. These should help with those long surface waits for pick up. Yippeeeeeeee. :D Sharks aside.

Nem

Pedro
Skin Diver
First Name: Pedro

Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:20 am

That's great news. Think in the next dive I'll spend a good half an hour swimming on my back laughing at the memories of free flows 8)

@Bryan, are you still ordering the shirts or are they cancelled? I wouldn't mind waiting a bit longer for mine

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:44 am

Nemrod wrote:They sure look cool. Do they come with those decals?

Nem
Yes they do! And a spare is in the service kit that comes with it.

2THDIVR
Master Diver
First Name: Scott

Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:27 pm

Mine came today
Look great
Already installed and waiting for this weekend
Will really help on those long surface swims to the shark's teeth

Scott

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:24 pm

Thanks Scott! Should be a whole lot of folks getting VDH package notices with tracking info from Stamps.com. Been burning the midnight oil trying to get all the DSV's shipped out so everyone can start enjoying them.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:59 pm

Happy Days! Happy Days! Happy Days! DSV arrived today (a day earlier than tracking said). I have been using the ScubaPro "quick clamps" instead of zip ties, and have run across a few that they don't work with. This one is PERFECT! Threw on a ComfoBite, and ready to take it diving. Last dive was 77 minutes, and I'm liking the idea of this mouthpiece.

The only problem now is deciding which DH to put it on first.... Looks like I need to place an order for a few more...... :lol:
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:47 pm

Be careful with the Scubapro quick clamp to hold the mouthpiece. They have a lot of mechanical advantage and it is hard to tell their actual clamping force. I don’t expect that you will have any trouble with the production DSV, but just keep a close eye on it.

I tried the Scubapro clamp on a 3D printed prototype and the compression force around the mouthpiece ended up slightly buckling the flat surface on the top of the mouthpiece opening. There is no comparison on the strength of a 3D printed part to the final production part, so as I said, I don’t expect you to have any issues, but I was a bit surprised at the results on the prototype.

On a related note, I have modified the Scubapro clamps and use two modified clamps back-to-back on the regulator horns. It takes some hand filing of the straight edge of the clamp, but with the modifications it is working well. When I have a chance I may post some pictures.

I like these type of clamps, but the cam action has a lot of mechanical advantage and you need to be careful with the force they can develop.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:21 pm

I have been thinking about that use (on the horns)....... quite interested in the mod you did.

Thanks for the "heads up" on the concerns re: force they can apply.
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”