Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

What is a good Wing for modern doubles

Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:37 am

I wrote this in another topic I wrote, but I really would like the forum members massive opinion on what would be the best wing type BC for my Dual Faber 80s rig. I love my horse collars, but a wing would definitely make it easier with this dingus in the water column. What do you all suggest? :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Re: What is a good Wing for modern doubles

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:37 am

I like the Dive Rite CCR wing. The offset elbow makes it a non-conflict with the DH cans. Also the gusset control keeps the wing under control of you want to lessen the profile. One disadvantage is that it is "open" (just webbing) on the back panel, so it is a little finicky with the VDH plate. Its not inexpensive (the Tech Armor)at $400, but I like the heavy fabric and I know it will hold up. Not sure the lift you are looking for as this one is 40#.

Out of curiosity, what bands and manifold are you using?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:28 am

For "modern" diving, I've been using an Apex 60 pounder with an Apex steel plate for the last 10 years or so. I originally was diving isolated 80's or twin corks. Then I put together a couple steel 72 sets which I still use and when I go full boat so to speak, it's a set of lp 108's. The 60 pound wing works well for all. When "Vintage" diving, I'm normally using twin steel 72's with a vintage 1 inch cloth harness. I'll either use a horse collar or simply weight for depth just like the old days and go with no BC. Another work around is simply using a drysuit. A common option here on the Great Lakes.

Jim

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:43 am

The DR travel wing with a VDH back plate is probably one of the best compact combinations you can have.

Here is the DR travel wing:
http://vintagedoublehose.com/index.php? ... ry=1874499

I use the VDH back plate with Zeagle small wing. The same one as the Zeagle Express Tech. Again, a very compact set up.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:21 am

Thanks for the input guys. I believe #40 is enough, even with added weights for different suit configurations. With the backplate, the rig is approximately 22lbs. negative at full fill, so it is kind of heavy to start. Luis, do you encounter and "pinch" or "crush" problems with the DR sandwiched between the tanks and the backplate? I think I'll opt for a wide spaced wing of some type just to get good clearance for inflation. I have an old Zeagle Ranger travel BC that has a pretty substantial wing that I can use for experimentation. We'll see how that does and go from there.

Thanks, Russ
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”