Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

DAAM found in Saudi Arabia bazar Circa 1961

Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:06 am

I copied this from a piece I wrote in the end of the topic in General Discussions section ("Going from Single Back to Double", but I am not sure if anyone got to read this new bit of "happenings" over here. Thanks for all the support folks and please give me your take on it.

I ran into an DAAM down in the Bazar (Suk) here in Tabuk KSA from 1961 over here and as I already had parts for my in-bound 62-63 "Shiny Chrome" beast (I am going to"Phoenix" it), I went ahead and dropped a HPR second on it, new yellow but not correct hoses (61 was the year that US Divers used the Spirotech extra flex hoses, the originals are still dive capable but I ordered some new ones from Bryan) as well as a ring clamp and new 2nd stage diaphragm. It was in outstanding condition considering it has been hanging out in an arid desert environment for God knows how long. 1st stage seat was in un-molested condition and the 1st stage had no evidence of corrosion.

After I set the second stage I did an adjustment set at a low tank pressure IP (@500psi) due to it's being an un-balanced 2nd and got it tuned to right at 140psi and did a Full tank pressure IP (@3000 psi) and got 110 psi. I let it stand with a full 3000 psi tank ALL night after the adjust and it still read 110psi in the morning. Cracking pressure I was unable to perform as I have no helimag here at present, but I did a pool test and it breathed better than my SP R190s. I had no apparent yoke deformation when I placed it on the tank though there was O-ring stretch of about.5mms. I dropped a Hookah adapter on it attached to an Air 2 for my BC, then took it out to Sharma on the Red Sea and with my buddies and dropped to 55 ft. It was wonderful, did a dolphin don to check it with buddies standing by and everything was a "GO". We did two more dives that day. Talk about flashbacks and yes NO ear fuzziness after three dives of 50-70 minutes but no deeper than 55 feet (that was the deepest dive and most of our dives here are above that due to the vis drops off at about 55 and you want to see all the reef colors and there is more to see at lesser depth).

Granted I used modern 100C aluminum tanks filled to 3000 (though they are capable of 3300) )as I had read that theses regs when used by the Navy were commonly tweaked for 3000 psi tank loads.) I had a SPARE Air on hand due to lack of having a J valve on the tanks and went with my KNOWN normal air times at KNOWN depths then backed off ten minutes, also had my trusty Suunto Favor with me. Incidentally, we have our own Bauer compressor here at our compound that belongs to TEDC (Tabuk Expatriate Dive Club) which we are all members of, so tank fills and servicing are done right here by us and yours truly. WOW they really knew how to build regulators back then and they are very easy (with a few correct tools) to service. I am going to up-grade the first stage with a new Cyclone nozzle and a beefier yoke and I am waiting for a new 1st stage diaphragm (though the original is in great and supple shape). Granted, I am not being a purist here by doing this but since we are relatively isolated I though it would make more sense to upgrade the components for practical engineering and safety reasons. From what I've read (from the Scuba Police hunter Captain's advise on IP) I believe I got it right. Captain's and Herman's advise have been a great help here.

So for now at least with this one rig our new branch of TEDC to wit "Red Sea Double Hose" is now activated. The guys think it is cool and they are now looking into rebuilding their own regs. and going either the way I did on this one or upgrading to a Full Phoenix or a dare I say a "KRAKEN" (I've got to get an order in for one of those babies next month to get it in time for Christmas), I just might be Bryan and Herman's de-facto sales and service rep over here by the time I'm done. Please tell me your thoughts on the above.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Re: DAAM found in Saudi Arabia bazar Circa 1961

Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Excellent write up - thanks, sounds fun.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:59 am

Hey I just read this. That sounds awesome man. I always love hearing about guys getting stuff going with vintage gear, and to have people willing to do it with you in your own club must be a blast. Post some pictures if you can! I'd love to see what the water there looks like.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:33 am

The 1961 DAAM is now a 21st Century PRAMHPR. Vis here in the Red Sea is clearing up (90 feet) with freezing water temperatures of 88 degrees Fahrenheit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”