Superlite
Master Diver
First Name: Andrew

Re: Tech manifolds and double hose regulators

Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:43 pm

I do believe I agree with Luis. Sherwood built most manifolds for DACOR and other equipment manufactures. they were a socket and nipple arrangement. No gaskets or O-rings in the manifold make up. That is why I am concerned about un-soldiering and re-soldiering after changing the nipples. But as I said I would be willing to work with someone that knows heat input and is good at soldiering.
A long time ago I had a Sherwood manifold for a set of DACOR 90cf aluminums. Some of the first large diameter cylinders (8in). Kind of miss that manifold it would be great to have right now.

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:01 pm

The threads are what hold everything together, the solder is used to lock everything in place, You could do the same with epoxy. I used epoxy on some triple manifolds I made.

Captain

Superlite
Master Diver

Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:42 pm

Do you have any pressure related problems with the epoxy? :?:

captain
Plank Owner

Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:33 am

Several members have triple manifolds I have made, I haven't received any complaints about leaks. Maybe some will chime in with their experiences. I have used epoxy just as you would use teflon tape or other sealant on screwed taper pipe threads on my compressor. If a screwed taper thread will seal with teflon tape it will seal with epoxy. The only difference is removal, you would have to heat the joint to soften the epoxy. The only advantage to the solder is that it can be chrome plated whereas the epoxy can not.
All of the mechanical strength comes from the screwed threads.
Captain

Superlite
Master Diver

Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:45 pm

If I can find a three piece manifold then I'll give it a try. Epoxy is a much easier route to deal with. I do have the ability to sweat the nipple and get it out so that should solve the problem. As far as fit up is concerned, as you noted in a earlier thread, the nipple can be used for adjustment in length.
Looks like I'll be able to set up my 100's the way I want without tracking down a non-mag from the "old" military 90cf aluminum days. :D
Thank you all for your input and assistance.
Andrew

Superlite
Master Diver

Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:57 am

XS Scuba has a Thermo PVD one piece twin manifold that is designed for 8in cylinders. Did more research and found this manifold. As it is one piece and designed for 8in cylinders I am going to check it out further.
To everyone that assisted with the hunt to locate or come up with a answer that would work with building my 100cf cylinders. I thank you and appreciate your assistance. :D

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:24 am

I'd be curious to know what pricing you find the XS Manifold.....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

captain
Plank Owner

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:10 am

That is the same manifold I had posted in the tanks section.

http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog ... ifold.html
Captain

Superlite
Master Diver

Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:24 pm

Looked the thermo manifold up and if the cost is what is listed $799 then I'll take the Captains way of modifying a existing three piece. That is one expensive manifold!!! I'll let ya'll know what shakes out.
Again, thanks for all the input and assistance.

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:57 pm

what about having someone modify a pair of modern bands (cut and shorten the center tabs)? I've heard of folks doing that....
Bob

Superlite
Master Diver

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:51 pm

Problem with modifying the bands is the modern manifold for twin 80's is based on a 8.25in center to center. With 100's that would mean no spacing between cylinders even for bolts to band them together. Luis or the Captain might know of another way, but I think Captains idea to modify the nipple length is the best using a 3 piece manifold.
That XS Scuba Thermo PVD is just too expensive for us poor divers. Unless of course Father Neptune would allow us to find a sunken chest of gold. 8)

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:56 am

Just for discussion then, why 2XAL100's? Something like Farber HP100's puts you in the smaller diameter bands (which are "available"), and seemingly (IIRC) similar buoyancy...
Bob

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:42 am

luis wrote:I think that Nemrod is referring to the Sherwood manifolds. I have four sets of doubles (different sizes, but mostly small doubles) with the Sherwood dual outlet manifolds. I don't know the spacing on the Sherwood manifolds, but they fit my double 72 perfectly.

I have never seen a Dacor dual outlet manifold, but it is possible. As far as I know, Sherwood made all the Dacor valves and manifolds.
Yes, sorry, I am getting old I guess, I did mean the Sherwood double manifold. I do not know why I said Dacor, just a brain cloud I guess. It is the Sherwood manifold I use but it is not going to work with the OPs 8.0 tanks I do not think.

With the 8.0 inch tanks would there be enough room to mount a single hose first without reversing it?

Nem

Superlite
Master Diver

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:53 pm

I had a sherwood manifold on a set of twin 90's (8in dia) and there was plenty of room to put a single hose on the side valve position. It was great to have when my DA needed to be shut down due to loss of high pressure seat at 100ft. We were diving "The Circle" over by Joplin, Mo. That was one day that I was glad I had the back up regulator on the side position.

Superlite
Master Diver

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:57 pm

Received a note from XS Scuba regarding the Thermo PVD valve VMT-500-33N. It can be purchased direct from XS for a sum of $500. Still a whole lot pricey but better than $800 :roll:
Still like Tom's solution better.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”