Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Small wing pictures?

Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:27 pm

Hi all,

I have been diving with instant buddies a lot lately, which unfortunately has lead to me diving with modern gear a lot more. I'm going to use my Kraken exclusively as my modern regulator when I get it. This means that I am going to swap out my standard aluminum backplate for a VDH one to facilitate that. I have a 40# Oxycheq mach v extreme wing. I am looking to get the 18# one, because the 40# is a bit of overkill for me and I want my rig as small and steamlined as possible. Does anyone have both? I have some rough measurements from the Oxycheq site, but seeing really is believing and I know a bunch of you guys have both Oxycheq wings. Can you do me a solid and put a comparison photo up? If you have a better idea than the 18lb wing, then I am all ears as well.

James, please no more camo banana hammock boat pictures. My heart cannot take anymore. :P Also, I read the entire vintage plate thread and didn't see any direct comparison photos, lest y'all think I spam.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Re: Small wing pictures?

Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:50 pm

I don't know the differences from the '40 and the '30, but have a MachV-30 and it really is "small". I have a 32# HOG and a DSS 30# that are a bunch bigger on my modern single plates. I picked up the VDH plate and a 30# Mach-V for here in the cold water to go with my Kraken (waiting impatiently for it). I could try to put some pics up if you want, but it isn't the 18# you are asking about. Up here in the cold, an 18# is just problematic (likely use a horse-collar).

The DM I know here has an 18 for travel and pool sessions. If you feel you need a wing, GO FOR IT. It will be like having little-to-nothing (well, for us northern cold water guys, its nothing).
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:04 pm

Zeagle Express Tech wing is 24#.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:49 pm

I like also my Zeagle wing with my VDH back plate. I think it is 24Lb, like Allan mentioned.

You can't barely see my wing in the picture below. You can see that it doesn't "taco" the tank like most wings do.

This wing doesn't have a separate bladder. It folds and tucks with the assistance of some buggies that attach to the edge (not wrapped around the bladder).

Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:37 pm

I will have the Dive Rite Travel XT in the store very soon :)

Dive Rite XT Travel Wing
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:07 pm

Bryan wrote:I will have the Dive Rite Travel XT in the store very soon :)
I always like the look of that wing, but I have never had a chance to try one.
The top crossover section looks small, which would help reduce interference.

It can be easily attached to the VDH plate. I always like the simple open area in the middle.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:19 pm

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. 8)
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:58 am

- In the past I've posted photos and videos of my OxyCheq 18 lb wing/BC. I think there's also some SwimJim Fortune Pond video of me swimming underwater with it. Maybe you can find them under a search for my posts?
- I like the OxyCheq 18 because it doesn't flop around in the current. It's small enough and the fabric around it is stiff enough that it rides attractively on either side of the tank.
- I have it set up with the OxyCheq Ultralite Travel Plate and a homemade harness with crotch strap. I found my Kaanapoli Beach diving video that shows me diving the OxyCheq 18 lb. with this harness.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTnswCqwg6Y[/video]
- These other may give a closer view...
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR8MhHqLPO0[/video]
And here's Jim Bach's Video [video]http://vimeo.com/30378348[/video]
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:48 pm

I have been diving my 18 Oxy Mach V almost exclusively for warm water diving. It is noticeably smaller than the Oxy 30 MV. I am still of the opinion, for one wing, the typical diver (leaving out drysuits and very cold water exposure gear) the Oxy 30 is the best compromise. The 18 is adequate for warm water but there is not a lot of lift there and the vdh mini-plate does slightly restrict it's fullest inflation. I would guess, closer to a 16.5 on the vdh plate.

Nem

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”