ErosJax
Diver
First Name: William

VDH Plate + Wing Question

Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:25 pm

I just purchased a VDH Back plate and am currently trying to decide on a wing. I live here in Florida and primarily only dive warm water. I was wondering if some of you dive with donut style wings and the VDH plate, and if you have any issues with them (ie: inflater hose too close to the can, can placement with the wing, etc..)?

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: VDH Plate + Wing Question

Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:27 pm

Covered pretty thoroughly I think

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6037
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ErosJax
Diver

Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:20 pm

Sorry about that. I must have read through that particular discussion 10 times before, but just haven't recently. I think I was curious if anyone has used the VDH plate and one of the smaller donut wings such as the Hog 23 lb or oxychecq 18 lb. I saw there was mention of a few people that were going to try those types out, but I didn't see any replies regarding how it actually worked out for them.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:33 pm

ErosJax wrote:Sorry about that. I must have read through that particular discussion 10 times before, but just haven't recently. I think I was curious if anyone has used the VDH plate and one of the smaller donut wings such as the Hog 23 lb or oxychecq 18 lb. I saw there was mention of a few people that were going to try those types out, but I didn't see any replies regarding how it actually worked out for them.
I have an Oxy 18 on mine. I really just got it rigged out and only a shallow dive in Table Rock and a couple of pool test dives. The plate is fine with small wings, why wouldn't it be? Not a good pic but this is an Oxy 18 right here:

I do not anticipate that you will have any issues with either the Oxy 18 or 30. I would avoid any wing that has a central dump/hose connection. The Oxy wings are offset to the left shoulder and therefore work fine with dh regs.

Nem

ErosJax
Diver

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Nemrod ~ Thanks for the pic and the assistance. You answered all my questions.

~EJ

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:27 pm

ErosJax wrote:Nemrod ~ Thanks for the pic and the assistance. You answered all my questions.

~EJ
You are welcome, glad I could help.

Nem

kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:29 pm

I had a similar question but am using an 8" tank. Not a big deal and can find info on here Im sure but hss there been any issue with the band clamp digging into the wing since the attachment point faces down?

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:18 pm

Jonathan Bird has been diving his VDH plate and wing setup for more than a year with two Phoenix HPR's. You can see his video episodes on the web in many places.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:53 pm

My BCD after 2 years

kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:58 pm

Ok so no issue with the band clamp. Good to know. I did see pictures where some had rotated it but Im sure that would require new slots cut in the clamp to fit around the horn.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:29 pm

kworkman wrote:I had a similar question but am using an 8" tank. Not a big deal and can find info on here Im sure but hss there been any issue with the band clamp digging into the wing since the attachment point faces down?
While I just started using the vdh plate, my Oxy 18/30 both have many dives with double hose regs and no wear. The band clamp just does not dig in as some seem to think. For one thing, the wing actually forms between the rear can and valve.

But, I tell you this, the narrow Mach V wings were intended for use with the aluminum 63/80, that is a fact and these are 7.25 inch tanks. This is my opinion, an 8 inch tank and a flat plate like the vdh, not going to be a lot of room for the wing to fully inflate. I do not believe that the Mach V 18/30 were ever really intended as a general purpose wings. They are very narrow purposely to prevent taco-ing on 6.9 and 7.25 inch diameter tanks.

Nem

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:01 am

kworkman wrote:Ok so no issue with the band clamp. Good to know. I did see pictures where some had rotated it but Im sure that would require new slots cut in the clamp to fit around the horn.

I do rotate the regulator band clamp so that the screw is on the diver’s right side.

There is no need to cut another slot if you have a rectangular label can. The slot is only necessary for the round label cans, because the horns are shorter on those cans.

I just prefer not to have the screw at the bottom of the can. The regulator sits better when I place it on any flat surface without the screw on the bottom and there is no chance of the metal tabs touching the wing. I am not saying that it is essential, but I prefer it.

I also use a thumb screw for the regulator clamp. The thumb screw is lager that the screw that comes standard with the band clamps. I don’t need or use any tools to open or close my regulators.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”