uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Re: How to rig the straps on the VDH back plate.

Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:04 pm

bbain wrote:I have finally gotten around to setting up the VDH backplate and bladder that I got last year. 3 questions:

3. From one of the photos, it looks like there is a 1" safety strap looped around the tank valve from the upper tank band slot as insurance against the tank slipping away. Again, I am just confirming that set up so I replicate it correctly.

Bill

I think what you may be referring to is a strap some use to position the backplate on the tank so that it stays low enough for the round cans to be placed in the same spot when switching tanks (also in the proper spot on your upper back between your shoulder blades.)

I use the same thing on all my setups: pull the plate off the old tank, hang the webbing on the new tank valve, cinch down the tank straps, and the reg should fit in the same spot as it was on the previous tank set up.

bbain
Vintage Diver

Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:05 pm

uwstlth wrote:
bbain wrote:I have finally gotten around to setting up the VDH backplate and bladder that I got last year. 3 questions:

3. From one of the photos, it looks like there is a 1" safety strap looped around the tank valve from the upper tank band slot as insurance against the tank slipping away. Again, I am just confirming that set up so I replicate it correctly.

Bill

I think what you may be referring to is a strap some use to position the backplate on the tank so that it stays low enough for the round cans to be placed in the same spot when switching tanks (also in the proper spot on your upper back between your shoulder blades.)

I use the same thing on all my setups: pull the plate off the old tank, hang the webbing on the new tank valve, cinch down the tank straps, and the reg should fit in the same spot as it was on the previous tank set up.
That makes sense. The only time I have seen the loop in use was on my wife's jacket BCD and the loop prevented her tank from slipping out the bottom because the single tank strap wasn't tight enough. I do like your idea better :-)

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:13 pm

uwstlth wrote:

Bill

That is correct. I used that strap just as an indicator and to hold the backplate while I buckle up the tank.
There should not be any need for a back-up when there are two tank bands.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:23 pm

I have a loop on my VDH plate similar to Luis. It is a nylon web, no buckle. I simply folded over a piece of webbing, one inch I think it is and when I was happy with the length burned a whole with a soldering iron through the loop. The loop shares the top sexbolt that also secures my wing. The purpose is simply to support the plate and wing, since mine is weight integrated while I make the final position adjustments when switching out tanks. If you are not weight integrated it might be of little value but it helps a bunch with a weighted rig.

James

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:16 am

Since we lost the Photobucket pictures in many of the original posts here is a link to a PDF showing the proper way to setup the new plate.

CLICK HERE

The crucial part of the setup is getting the straps crossed correctly.....Once you have that done its pretty much like any other plate and you can rig it up to suit your fancy.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:55 pm

Outstanding. Thanks for this new file to download as it is VERY important IMO to cross the straps up top and quite a few people on boats look at that and go . . "that's brilliant!"

When I'm diving my DH's and VDH plate with this strapping set up, I appreciate the feel of the bottom can snugly pressed between the shoulder blades and it does not sway back and forth in my experience and I have close to 500 dives on that plate and harness.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:09 pm

Excellent job Bryan. Your pictures show clearly how to cross the straps. Very nice step-by-step instructions.

Crossing the top of the straps is also crucial because it keeps the top of the tank (and the regulator) from moving side-to-side. It controls the tank to keep the regulator in its ideal place.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:58 pm

luis wrote:Excellent job Bryan. Your pictures show clearly how to cross the straps. Very nice step-by-step instructions.
Crossing the top of the straps is also crucial because it keeps the top of the tank (and the regulator) from moving side-to-side. It controls the tank to keep the regulator in its ideal place.
I updated the information with your comments and also made an easy to download PDF in the manuals and catalogs section.

CLICK HERE FOR PDF

I sold 5 new Argonaut wing/plate rigs last week, hopefully we will get some good feedback on them :D

Randy and I are working on a standard plate/DIR harness special for November and I hope the new wing can transition into some non double hose divers as well.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

DavidFLOR
First Name: David

Re: How to rig the straps on the VDH back plate: setup with VDH DH plate and wing

Fri May 25, 2018 9:33 pm

Imagehttps://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... 0LlWLCYliH[/img] Just go my new VDH double hose plate and 35# wing. Working through the setup with my just VDH serviced Phoenix Royal Aquamaster. As I hope you can see from the photo, when I mount the plate up high on the tank close to the curvature of the regulator can, the screw and clamp flange at the bottom of the regulator is pressed in hard and deep in the space where the wing needs to inflate.

I took a close look at the can clamp, and it is notched to fit in a specific place on the inside can.

Am I missing something? Is the solution to cut a different notch in the can clamp so I can rotate the screw and clamp flanges 90 degrees?

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri May 25, 2018 9:52 pm

Push your wing behind the can. Unless you spend most of your time with the wing inflated to the max doing jumping jacks it won't be a problem. The clamp tabs are rounded and there are no rough edges to them. If you like you can put a wrap or two of silicone shrink tape around the end of the screw. Lots of folks ask this question.

Cubflyer50
First Name: Greg

Mon May 13, 2019 11:05 pm

Just purchased VDH backplate hardware. Waiting for delivery of the plate. There doesn’t seem to to be a 1” crotch strap or buckle. Is that something I need to order separately? Also I’m not sure what the small bungee is for and small “bolt” that came with the hardware. Are there videos to show the setup? Thanks.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed May 15, 2019 5:34 pm

If you are missing a crotch strap and buckle you need to contact me directly.
Rigging instructions are on the site or if you scroll a couple of posts up there is a link to them as well.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Cubflyer50
First Name: Greg

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:44 pm

Can’t find any pics or instructions on the crotch strap. Why does it have a D ring on each end?

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:18 pm

One goes up by the plate in the back and is where many divers hook their rolled up water weenie.
The one in the front is typically used to hook your scooter to as to alleviate strain on your forearms while flying through the depths.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”