uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Back from Turks

Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:55 pm

I've just returned from a trip down to Turks & Caicos (TCI) and took my rebuilt RAM as well as Luis and Bryan's new backplate. I dove the backplate in a few different configurations with a few different harness styles and in the end, liked using the padded Deepoutdoors Freedom harness I use on my Mk15 rebreather. It was comfortable as well as easily adjustable. I also used my 35# wing off the same configuration on the Mk15 and it worked well (although not needed on any of my dives.) The tank bands I used are Highland and the same that Bryan has for sale (I think)on his shop site. The only difficulty I encountered was switching from tank to tank which was due to the way the tank bands are configured. I found it easier to put the RAM on the tank first and then wrap the bands allowing for the BP to be raised up to the bottom of the cans. I've posted pictures from my trip on my dive blog so feel free to have a look. Most of the pictures are of diving rather than the equipment but there are a few of me diving so that you can get the idea. All pictures should be clickable to view at a higher rez, sorry for some of the lighting, I was deep on a few dives and the strobe I have just doesn't penetrate that well past about 5 feet from the subject. Max depth with this configuration was roughly 150' on air. I also dove 31% & 32% and had zero issues. Since some have asked on other forums about how dive operators may handle your "antique" dive gear, I want to assure you all that the dive operators I've come into contact with down on TCI have no problems with it at all. I think it helps to have new looking gear (my stuff was all newly re-chromed) and act like you know what you are doing when setting it up. Also, when asked questions, being very understanding and losing any "diver ego" goes a looooong way. Once the different divers started asking me questions, it was a really fun explaining the setup and I got to meet some really great people. One of the boat Captains even joked with me asking if I got my round mask from Jacques... I said, " no, the guy's name is Bryan..." :wink:

-Kevin

http://diveblog-neptune.blogspot.com/

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Re: Back from Turks

Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:40 pm

I found that when using any form of tank bands, be they the cam jobs that remain continuous or "Scubapro-style" that open completely that positioning the BC is an issue. By putting an adjustable stap on the BC/Plate allows the BC/plate to hang around the neck of the tank while closing the bands.

This BC system is the Zeagle Express.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Excellent Report! Glad to hear you guys had a good time.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:06 am

Great report and nice pictures.

We just walked in the door from flying back from Providenciales, Turks and Caicos. We also had a great time.

Who did you dive with? We used Dive Provo.

We had three divers using our new VDH back plate. We all had different wings and different regulator, but we all thought it worked great! This is definitely my favorite tank back pack. It placed the Phoenix in the perfect spot.

The high light of our trip was seeing a humpback whale underwater turn right in front of me, right at the edge of the wall. We were at French Cay at double D dive site. I got pretty close to the whale when it was turning. :D :D

More later.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:40 am

I've been going to TCI a couple times a year for the past 8 or so years now and have settled on diving with Caicos Adventures for diving around West Caicos and Northwest Point. For me, they are by far the best dive outfit on the island and have the best rates and crew.

We have a place on Parrot Cay so we take our boat around to Provo to board the Caicos Cat or Hercules boats but it's worth it. When we dive deep off the Bight (Grace Bay) we just take our boat out and barrow tanks or just take our rebreathers longer dives.

I've been in the water with whales before (unfortunately not this trip) and know just how awesome that is, congrats on experiencing this- truly special. Did you take any pictures?

I don't "myface" or whatever it's called but it seems that I made their facebook page, the post was on Jan 22:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Caicos-Ad ... 5693092567

The backplate was fantastic, thanks for thinking of bringing it to market Luis and Bryan. Also a big thanks to all the posters and information gatherers on this forum. This site helped me gather the information needed to complete the rebuild of my reg as well as get the proper tools/ parts needed from Bryan's shop. I belong to a few dive related forums and this is by far the best of them. No BS or bubble-blowing, just good info and great discourse... divers helping divers bring back the fun of diving.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”