phsdive
Vintage Diver
First Name: Philip

H valve set up for redundancy

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:07 pm

I put this set up together for dives where I wanted some redundancy; for testing out newly built reg's, deeper reef dives and deep wreck dives where I wanted a bail out on bottom gas (I carry a 5 litre deco gas bottle with a 40% mix - so it's good above 90 or so feet.) Of course the H valve doesn't help with an OOA situation.

The valve is a normal Dive Right din valve with a H valve addition. It allows me to add a second reg with all the bit and pieces, pressure gauge etc. I put it together with the VDH backplate and found that the H valve needed to be turned around as the 1st stage of the Scubapro Mk 2 was hitting the backplate. I don't like it turned around and will look for something with a small 1st stage. Wouldn't mind an old USD reg - if you can think of a suitable model with small first stage please post.

I'm going to put a Zeagle 18 lb wing on the plate, but will wait until I see the VDH version.

The turned around 1st stage is not a good set up for wrecks.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: H valve set up for redundancy

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:11 pm

- That's a neat solution. I've seen those modular valve parts and was wondering if something like that could be done.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:14 pm

Likewise, an interesting solution. Some thoughts come to mind though:

1. Would it be possible to rotate the H valve so that the single-hose is pointing up and the knob points up? It might present less of a snag profile in a wreck as you pointed out earlier. It doesn't need to be perfectly vertical as I imagine the tank will get in the way. so just some degree of rotation would suffice.

2. Of course for wreck, a twin tank system might be better - one post can have the DH, and the other post can use the single-hoser :D

MK15diver
Vintage Diver

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:52 pm

I've done the H-Valve thing too and have also done a Dive Rite 200Bar/300Bar manifold too. The site will not allow me to post pics as I'm an AOL user so if I can send pics to someone and they want to post them on my behalf they are worth it. I have double hose regs and set ups for both recreational and technical diving.
Someone told me that diving a double hose reg will kill me. I had no idea these things were dangerous.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:03 pm

MK15diver wrote: The site will not allow me to post pics as I'm an AOL user
The site does not let ANYONE post pictures directly no matter what browser they are using. Everyone uses a photo hosting site like Photobucket, Image Shack, Square Space etc.....

At the top of every category on the website there is this link on How To Post Pictures

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum/ ... f=4&t=5171
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”