Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Re: New From VDH (Universal back plate with vintage spirit)

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:53 am

I was wondering if the vdh plate is strong enough for my double 72's. I was planning on bolting it to the tank bands with stainless carriage bolts and wing nuts for easy removal. I saw a pic of Luis with doubles but it looked like he had four individual tank straps holding the plate to the tanks. I would post a picture of my setup but I cann't figure out how to upload pictures to the forum. A hidden button perhaps?
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:35 am

The best way to attach a photo is to upload it to Photobucket or Picasa and link it to your post.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:14 am

tripplec wrote:I was wondering if the vdh plate is strong enough for my double 72's. I was planning on bolting it to the tank bands with stainless carriage bolts and wing nuts for easy removal. I saw a pic of Luis with doubles but it looked like he had four individual tank straps holding the plate to the tanks. I would post a picture of my setup but I cann't figure out how to upload pictures to the forum. A hidden button perhaps?
I don't use a plate with my doubles. With doubles I just use an original (or modified) harness that attaches directly to the tanks.

I find doubles very comfortable without any plate. And doubles don't tend to roll around a move (side to side or diagonally) like a single tank does.

With a single tank you need to use a back-plate or backpack if you want the rig to stay in place, so that the a double hose performs at its best, but with doubles they tend to stay in place if you use a good harness that is adjusted correctly. In that situation I prefer that the tanks are closer to my back without any plate.

The straps that you see on my rig are not for the plate, they are for my Zeagle wing. It is a horse-shoe shaped wing that I attach directly to the tank and it is open in the middle so it doesn't interfere with my harness.

If you still prefer to use a plate, make sure your hardware does not protrude too much and that it is not uncomfortable. I know that several other divers have used this plate with doubles, but I don't know any more details.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:11 am

How to post pictures is at the top of every section in the forum.....

Click on Modern Era Double Hose Diving ....

1. Argonaut Contest
2. Sand Dog X
3. How to post pictures

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum/ ... =47&t=5171
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Akita
Diver

Fri May 31, 2013 2:42 pm

Does anybody have a picture of a doubles setup using the VDH plate they can post here? I'd like to see the setup.

kiwidiver
Lung Diver
First Name: jeremy

Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:31 pm

Akita wrote:Does anybody have a picture of a doubles setup using the VDH plate they can post here? I'd like to see the setup.
This is my setup:
Start with a standard set of 7ltr tanks with standard bands.

Add the wing, i then hold the wing down with a washer and a nut and washer just threaded on hand tight.

I then picked up some of these guys from the local nut and bolt shop. they are designed to be a captured nut pressed into a hole.

But i just slotted them with a dremel and use them in place of the wing nuts you would use on a contemporary backplate. But i did have to drill out the holes on the plate a touch.

Works rather well the nuts are flush enough not to feel them and so far they are not scuffing up my wetsuit. Disadvantage is its a bit more of a faff to set up as you have to line up the bolts with the backplate holes before you insert the nuts so this is best done with the tanks lying down. And you need a tool to do them up but this is easily done with a one inch dia washer, blunt point dive knife or even a coin.

I am happy with it but if i were to be using a larger twinset i would seriously consider no backplate just a harness.

Akita
Diver

Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:10 am

Thanks for the pics and the ideas! That's a nice rig.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:40 pm

I use these T-nuts for the same purposes:

They are stainless steel. Most Ace Hardware or similar stores or McMaster should have them.

Nem

Akita
Diver

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:38 pm

Good find Nem. Are you guys using 6" bolts an the bands or something shorter?

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:50 am

Those nuts kinda remind me of the ones used to attach backplate pads... albeit without the holes for what I assume would be a pin spanner.

couv
Master Diver

Frugal Bryan

Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:07 pm

Bryan,

I for one really appreciate the cost cutting measures you've made over the years, but I think it is a sign of the times when one resorts to using materials that are believed to be urban legend.

Couv
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Frugal Bryan

Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:25 pm

couv wrote:Bryan,

I for one really appreciate the cost cutting measures you've made over the years, but I think it is a sign of the times when one resorts to using materials that are believed to be urban legend.

Couv
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:24 pm

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle :)
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

tursiops
First Name: Mel

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:46 pm

Is it still possible to purchase one of the VDH backplates? They no longer seem to be in the store.
Thanks.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:53 pm

tursiops wrote:Is it still possible to purchase one of the VDH backplates? They no longer seem to be in the store.
Thanks.
They got real popular while we were in Cozumel and I just caught up with orders. There is one left in stock and it will be available as part of a plate/wing/harness combination when the sale opens on Saturday morning. I have already sent an E-mail to the manufacture and they will start making more after Thanksgiving. Check back with the website store for updates.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”