Fibonacci
Master Diver
First Name: Graeme

Re: New From VDH (Universal back plate with vintage spirit)

Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:52 pm

Thanks for clarifying Bryan... didn't realise they were only 1lb 5oz they look much thicker and heavier!
'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition' Rudyard Kipling

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:24 pm

The VDH plate was designed out of aluminum to be intentionally light weight for traveling. A stainless plate would actually be heavier. All those cut outs would be for weight mitigation, but it adds to the production cost, and would not be as light

The 16 gauge stainless is approximately 0.062inches thick. That is a fairly flexible plate. They are adding a lot of stiffness in the vertical axis (to support the shoulder straps) with the bends (contour) on the plate.

In the “technical details” it says:
Dimensions:
• 10.5″ (26.7cm)(widest point) x 15″ (39.4cm)
• 1.25″ (3.2cm) depth (with contour)

That 1.25” of depth due to the contour would translate into an extra 1.25 inches of water column increase in cracking effort.
The VDH plate is intentionally flat to keep the cylinder (and regulator) as close to the diver as possible.

As Bryan mentions, the plate itself is only about 1.3 pounds. My complete backplate kit is about 5 pounds, but that includes the harness, the wing, the SS waist buckle, and all the hardware (including SS sliders and D rings).

The VDH plate is thicker, but that is part of the advantage of designing with aluminum. I have designed many structures out of steel and aluminum. When it comes to weight reduction, aluminum will outperform steel. And yes, I have done structural comparisons with some exotic alloys (of steel, aluminum, etc.). There are many other tradeoffs were steels and stainless steels are better, but not for weight.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Fibonacci
Master Diver

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:50 pm

Hi Luis

Thanks for the technical update... didn't realise the DiveRite XT backplate contour would affect cracking effort, still feeling my way around on DH diving!!

My complete backplate kit is about 5 pounds, but that includes the harness, the wing, the SS waist buckle, and all the hardware (including SS sliders and D rings

That's a very light setup... what wing are you using?
'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition' Rudyard Kipling

luis
VDH Moderator

Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:43 am

I use a Zeagle 20 pound (it may be a 22 pound, not sure)wing. It is the one they normally include with their “Express Tech” BC set up. I found that it was actually cheaper to buy and Express Tech and remove the wing and hardware from their synthetic back plate than trying to buy just the wing.

The wing is a horse shoe shape (as opposed to a doughnut) which some divers don’t like, but I like it.

The plate contour on most modern back plates was design for double tanks. It has that bend to fit between the tanks. With a single tank it separates the tank away from your back. With a double hose regulator moving the tank away from your body is a bad idea. In the horizontal position that raises the tank up away from your body.

Actually, moving the tank away from your body is also IMO a bad idea with any regulator. When you are walking out of the water (like for a shore entry), having the tank away from your body adds a moment which makes it even less comfortable to carry the load.
Luis

Fibonacci
Master Diver

Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:48 pm

Thanks very much Luis... I hadn't considered the Zeagle Express Tech!

Looks like only the Deluxe version is available now (with 24lb bladder as standard) but as you say seems to be very modular and able to accept a range of larger bladders or twin tanks if needed.
http://www.zeagle.com/products-reposito ... ech-deluxe

I was also looking at the OMS IQ Lite which uses anodised aluminium hardware to save even more weight but unsure if the back plate can be removed... seems so.
http://omsdive.com/product/iqlite/

I'm currently using an older DiveRite TravelPac (with single tank band vs newer model with more secure twin bands) and while it will allow a Kraken can to tuck under the top part of the bladder it still sits pretty high and as it is all fixed, no removable backplate or bladder is possible.
https://www.diverite.com/products/wings/travelpac-bcd/

I will definitely order a VDH backplate!

luis
VDH Moderator

Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:59 pm

I like the wing on the Zeagle Express Tech BC, but I do not like the back plate in it. I tried it for a while and that is when I decided that I needed to design a backplate specifically for the double hose.

The synthetic back plate on the Express Tech allows the tank to move too much. The shoulder straps attachment allows the top of the tank to move too much.

I really don’t like all the extra stuff they have added to the Express Tech Deluxe. That is just making you pay for extra stuff that you don’t need or want (if you are trying to save weight). I don’t know if you can locate just the bladder from a dealer at a better price.

My second choice could be the lighter Dive Rite travel wing. I have never tried one, but it looks good.
Bryan has a really good price on the EXP model of the Dive Rite travel wing.
http://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/D ... y=21744870
Luis

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:13 pm

It occurred to me when thinking about the May 2017 trip to Roatan that I've never dived mine with a single hose and I was thinking about posting a question about that in a separate thread.
Great to know I only have to take one plate on that trip.
I'm taking the pristine, recently acquired from Greg Barlow, Voit Navy V66 Phoenix as the primary and the Scubapro Mk 25+G260 for back up.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”