EberWolf
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Glasses inserts / cheater lens

Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:23 pm

I'm finally at the age of reading glasses. While I can still read my computer screen I'd prefer it to be a bit clearer while I'm diving. My first preference would be stick on "cheaters". Any suggestions?

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Glasses inserts / cheater lens

Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:43 pm

I have used the company below to add permanent readers to several mask. The price has gone up, but they do a great job.

https://prescriptiondivemasks.com/produ ... your-mask/

I can see my gauges just fine, but I like to be able to see all the little creatures. I also carry a 10x magnifier lens to look at really little creatures.

The stick on lenses do work, but they are small. I think they are great as a temporary fix and to test what prescription (or how much magnification) you want.

If you have a mask that you are really happy with, this is a good long term investment.

My mask has the "Executive Readers".

Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:10 am

The stick on ones will wash out and disappear if your not at least a little careful with them. I haven't really had an issue with my personal gear, but when I was involved with dive rescue I installed them in the OTS comms mask I was issued. I took them out for practices in the pool where we had to ditch the mask and put on the back up mask. Otherwise they would be gone.

EberWolf
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:16 am

Thanks for the info. My first 2 dives with my Garmin descent MK2i was at night and I had a bit of trouble reading it but I still had my Sherwood wisdom computer hooked up as a primary. I had 2 dives last week in the daytime and had no issues reading the MK2i.

I'm going to bookmark that site for future use.

BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:05 pm

I would add it may be worth using the disposable type of in-mask adhesive versions (like Trident sells) for a while to see it you like how they work, especially if your eyes haven't stabilized with a constant prescription for a few years. I dive a few different rebreather models and two of them use an HDD (head down display) for the electronics. It sits ontop of the DSV about 2-3 inches away from the edge of my mask and can be hard to read at times, even though they are just different colored LEDs. The secondary I use can also be hard to read. So I've tried the "glue in" versions and they have worked for me, but I can see where they may not be optimal in every situation. I live in San Diego and the mask shop mentioned earlier is in La Mesa, about 20 mins away. They have a solid reputation in the SoCal diving community so don't hesitate if that is the option which is best for your needs, you will be treated well by them and they have been in business for decades I believe. Getting old sucks pond water... dark stinky pond water.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”