Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Bryan's Commander+

Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:03 pm

I thought I would share this.

Rob gave my Bryan's old dive computer. It was a little strange seeing it, because I literally helped him pick it out years ago. For those of you who haven't seen a Cochrane Commander, it's the computer used by the United States Navy. I received it about a week ago. The batteries blew up from sitting. I cleaned it out, got new N cell batteries, and rigged it with bungie cords for drysuit use. I also put some rubber bumpers on the bottom to cover the sharp edges so it didn't wear on my drysuit. Anyways, it works like a champ. Bryan's initials were all worn off on the back of it so I went ahead and colored them in again with a paint pen. In true Bryan fashion it was well used, and if you know Bryan, he definitely treated his dive gear like a military guy in that he really used it hard. I will be using this on my dives now. I feel like I probably need to play Cocaine Cowboys by WASP every time I put it on 8)
bryan.JPG
bryan2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Re: Bryan's Commander+

Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:25 am

I am amazed you saved it. I had the Commander AIR, actually was my first computer. There was an issue in them where they "bricked" when left without power and the ?capacitors? discharged. The 8-year SI I went on with my daughter's birth was the contributing factor. Anyhow, Cochran actually gave me an upgrade to a current model at a very significant discount. I dove it many years until I fell for a Shearwater when I enrolled in a technical training class.

My wife took over my Cochran (EMC20). Liked the big screen. Yeah, they scream 1980's, the UI is awful, and the software reminds you of DOS Shell stuff....

Glad to see "Bryan" continues on. I am doing the same with some gear from a dear friend who passed a year ago. I always tell his widow, "Tony and I went diving today."

Keeping the memory alive....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Re: Bryan's Commander+

Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:17 pm

Oh man Bob are you right about the UI :lol: Anyway, thanks for sharing your story as well. I think this is the diver's equivalent of keeping your buddy's dog tags.

Ron
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”