EberWolf
Lung Diver
First Name: James

New Wing Reccomendation

Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:04 am

I've been looking through older posts on wings. It's been a bit of a sticker shock looking at the price of new wings. I think I'm over it now and ready to try a smaller wing. I've lost some weight, about 100lbs and I wanted to go with a lighter setup.

When I built my initial set I was able to get a 32# wing from here. I've been using it for the last few years with a SS Freedom Plate. The plate and SS wedge weigh about 9 lbs.

I recently picked up a Vintage scuba backplate from Subsea Sports.
https://www.subseasports.com/shop?store ... p468949518
What would the best option for a smaller wing for warm water diving? The winter temps are closing in here and I'll have to break out my 1mil wet suit soon. Although with the weight loss I may need to invest in a slightly warmer one.

scrane
Skin Diver
First Name: William

Re: New Wing Reccomendation

Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:44 pm

I have been using a HOG 23# wing with my flat VDH plate for around 5 years for both DH and SH diving and I have no complaints.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:06 pm

Most of the time I dive a dry suit and no wing.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:12 pm

swimjim wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:06 pm
Most of the time I dive a dry suit and no wing.
That works very well for me as well with a good conventional dry suit, but I once had an inflator valve pull out of a thin latex dry suit during a winter dive! Lost my warmth and bouyancy in one quick moment. :oops: . (If I had been diving with a good AQUALA that would never have happened!)

In all fairness to the latex suits I must add that the thin suit material had deteriorated only around a gasket that I had cemented in to reinforce the opening for valve body. The rubber cement had damaged the latex only in that one spot. My other experiences with them have been satisfactory for light use.
The older I get the better I was.

BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:46 pm

I've posted this before...

I dive the Dive Gears Express 30# wing (it's made by Oxycheq and about 1/2 the cost of their name brand EXACT SAME wing - go figure). And if you live outside Florida, no tax and free shipping. While you are at it, poke around their website for other stuff to throw in the order, you won't find a better deal nor a better wing. I have no affiliation with DGX other than I buy stuff from the and have found the pricing, customer service and quality all aces. To each their own however... shop around.
https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-gea ... ngles-wing

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:57 am

You said smaller, so I am not discussing another 30# wing (mentioned above)...

With the VDH Wing NLA, the HOG 23 seems to be a choice. I have one, but don't like how wide it is compared to the VDH/Oxy/DR "long and slender" wings.

OxyCheq..... big $$ but excellent wings.

DR/DGX TravelEXP (25#) might be a solution....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:20 pm

Trying not to split hairs on this one but pretty sure a 30# wing is smaller than the 32# mentioned in the original post. That said, the 30# DGX (rebranded OxyCheq) fits between my shoulder blades and is only slightly wider than my backplate (DeepOutdoors Freedom SS plate) and is very streamlined. Compared to the extra lift you'd have and minimal size difference between it and a smaller wing I'd stick with a 30# wing. Like we say in aviation, you can't get that Avgas back that you left at the field... in other words fill up as much as you can, you never know when you'll need it (as John Denver found out the hardway in Monterey, I fly the same type of plane he died in). Everyone has their own personal style of diving gear and what works best for them might not be what's best for the next... this link might help a bit https://www.divegearexpress.com/library ... ing-a-wing

There are some good pictures in the customer reviews section to see what the wing looks like on a backplate and tank setup. I used that info before purchasing mine last year.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”