EberWolf
Lung Diver
First Name: James

non continuous harness

Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:11 pm

I've been using the pictured Freedom Plate as I was never able to get a VDH plate.

I'm thinking about trying a non continuous harness where the shoulders and waist are separate. If I do try this route how much extra should I leave for wet suit thickness adjustments?

Also, what do you use to protect the straps where they pass through the plate slots?

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

James
Lung Diver

Re: non continuous harness

Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:54 am

I would just use a standard weight belt for the waist (with all the excess webbing that implies) to start. Thread on T-plates: https://www.piranhadivemfg.com/item/2-i ... eeth-15559 , and then use a piece of string threaded through the plate to measure how much webbing you need for the shoulder straps. Leave plenty of excess initially, and thread the shoulder straps starting with one T-plate (with a couple inches of excess, can be secured with a bit of inner tube) and lots of excess on the far end. Adjust as necessary, and when you have it right trim the far end to leave a couple of inches excess there. Leaves plenty of room for adjustment, and the excess is secured to the inside of the harness well below where your shoulder D-rings would be, so it should be un-noticeable until you want to adjust it and it's there for you.

Respectfully,

James

BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:54 pm

Jim, that's a great looking BP! I'm wondering the reason(s) you are wanting to use a non continuous loop? I have a Dacor aluminum plate that looks essentially the same as your BP (only coated in what seems to be a black plastic material) and it uses 2 pieces of 2" webbing. On the left shoulder there are 3 snaps in a diamond shape to make for easy egress after a dive, guess you could also use a weight belt buckle to achieve the same result. I also dive a traditional SS backplate which I have 2 loop adjustment rings https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-loo ... tment-ring for easy don, doff of the harness. Not sure if this would help in your situation but it works well for my setup and it was inexpensive. Good luck, hope you find something that will fit your needs.
-Kevin

EberWolf
Lung Diver

Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:05 am

I've had issues keeping my gear in place. As I dive the insulation (fat) around my waist compresses and the waist belt loosens, that lets the crotch strap sag and my wing starts to ride up. I have a spare travel plate I used as a test bed for the following.

Using a reversed Y split crotch strap I was able to connect each of the Y ends to a short straps where side of the waist belt would have been. Essentially it made a "safety seat". If you ever wore a fall harness or a rappelling harness it's similar.
Each side of the seat is connected with a slide release buckle. These can be easily adjusted and it doesn't allow for and vertical movement. I started using Dive Rite weight pockets on my normal setup https://www.diverite.com/products/pocke ... ocket-set/ and test fit these to the above and it keeps the weight in roughly the same spot as having them on a waist belt.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”