EberWolf
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Weight location question

Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:17 pm

I've been experimenting with different harness setups. I currently have the standard ditchable weight pockets mounted horizontally on my waist belt.

I've seen other setups where the pouches are hung vertically near the divers ribs. I use a 2" sternum strap and am considering moving the weight system to that strap vice the waist strap. If I do move the weight system I'd most likely go with pockets similar to this:

https://www.piranhadivemfg.com/item/Hog ... cket-14060

How much of a buoyancy issue would it cause moving the weights from my waist up about 9"?

Jim

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Weight location question

Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:24 am

A lot will depend on how much weight you are moving, but even if you are only moving a small amount, that is large distance.

I have pockets low on my shoulder straps (just a few inches above my waist belt, and just moving 4 pounds (2 pounds each side) up to those pockets or back down to my waist belt pockets makes a big difference in trim.

You will have to try it and experiment. Having more than one set of pockets, a hard sandy bottom, and a good buddy, that will help you move weights on the spot will help speed up the experimenting process.

Good luck.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Re: Weight location question

Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:31 am

I’ve got around 2lbs near my shoulders - 1lb threaded through per shoulder (non-ditchable). I use this with around an additional 3lbs ditchable in pockets around my waist. Exposure suit is a 3mm full for tropical water.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”