Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Hawaiian pack - with a twist…

Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:23 am

One of my friends - Dexter, came up with a rather interesting project: he decided to make a Hawaiian pack - but used a VDH - styled flat plate made out of PVC coupled with rolled pvc pipe shoulder hooks. In lieu of a belt, he opted to run bungees instead. I asked his permission to post his photos of his project, so here they’ are:

Makes me want to try modifying my plate, and doing something similar!

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Hawaiian pack - with a twist…

Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:50 pm

A timely post, Eduardo. I have been wanting to make something like this to avoid wrestling with donning limp & twisted shoulder straps. I'm wondering how well it stays put for maintaining optimum placement of double hose regs. I guess a good waist strap and probably a crotch strap would do the trick once the shoulder shape is adjusted well.
The older I get the better I was.

Drado
Master Diver

Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:23 pm

He showed another picture of his setup. He does have a crotch bungee as well - and a bolt snap as a buckle. It was also modified with D rings on the shoulder part.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:23 pm

Those of you who know me, know that I loooove Hawaiian Packs.....Just take my money, I want one of those!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:11 pm

THe D rings are a nice touch.

Drado
Master Diver

Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:16 am

Here’s a video of it featuring AK19-069 and a nice sunny day at the beach.

antique diver
Master Diver

Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:49 pm

That looks sooo easy to get in and out of (as long as I didn't have to sit down in the sand to do so).

Thanks for showing us the rig.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:45 pm

That is really cool. Really nice execution of the concept! Beautiful and nice photos too, thanks for sharing.

James

BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:40 am

I've been going through a knee-high stack of vintage Skin Diver magazines I've acquired and noticed this ad
IMG_4069.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

couv
Master Diver

Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:43 am

Drado wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:23 pm
He showed another picture of his setup. He does have a crotch bungee as well - and a bolt snap as a buckle. It was also modified with D rings on the shoulder part.

Thanks Ed,

Now I have to get tickets to the latest Bond film. 8)

Couv
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

couv
Master Diver

Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:47 am

BigSwell wrote:
I've been going through a knee-high stack of vintage Skin Diver magazines I've acquired and noticed this adIMG_4069.JPG
Thanks BigSwell,

That's the Hawaiian pack I remember. I used to do volunteer work for a Search and Rescue team (was more of a recovery team) and those are the models we had. Very quick to put on and jump in the water.

Couv
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

antique diver
Master Diver

Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:58 pm

couv wrote:
BigSwell wrote:
I've been going through a knee-high stack of vintage Skin Diver magazines I've acquired and noticed this adIMG_4069.JPG
Thanks BigSwell,

That's the Hawaiian pack I remember. I used to do volunteer work for a Search and Rescue team (was more of a recovery team) and those are the models we had. Very quick to put on and jump in the water.

Couv
Do you recall how well they stayed in position on you?

BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:32 pm

couv wrote:
BigSwell wrote:
Thanks BigSwell,

Couv
I know what you mean, I've been on a few recovery ops myself. Not to get too far off topic but I really like these old magazines. The gear back then was wild, like the wild west of whatever works. And the advertisements, HELLLO! Pretty certain none of them would pass muster today... lots of pretty girls in bikinis (or nothing at all) showing lots of skin while dudes smoke cigarettes just before entering the water. If you can get a hold of the pre 80's dive magazines they are well worth the time to look through... you'll recognize all the manufactures, even the ads announcing the mergers of some manufactures. They just don't publish good magazines like they used to back then, which is unfortunate on so many levels.

couv
Master Diver

Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:23 pm

antique diver wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:58 pm
couv wrote:
BigSwell wrote:
Thanks BigSwell,

Couv
Do you recall how well they stayed in position on you?
Yes, they stayed on rather well. The "arms" had soft rubber covers-sort of like pipe insulation that were snug but not uncomfortable. The waist strap cinched up nicely on my 20 something year old waist.

For searching just over the bottom of a lake I did not use a BC. The only PIA was the quick release band that held the tank. While it was an improvement over the bands that required a screwdriver to fasten down to a tank, it sure would have been nice to have the fabric bands with the over-center cams we use today.

I see a statement in the add BigSwell posted, "Weight transfers to waist." I don't remember that being the case nor why that would be an advantage.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”