Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Re: Sausage Inflation

Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:27 pm

couv wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:42 am
Mike Nelson used some magical device to inflate his MB. Why can't our SMBs be inflated with either method like an aircraft life vest?
I have seen a few dsmbs with a CO2 cartridge. But they were huge. Not all dsmbs have the QD style inflator. Piranha has a nice selection and replacement QD mechanisms, plastic and ss. One handed takes practice but two hands is a piece of cake, psssst, zooom and away it goes. So easy.

James

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:32 pm

Nemrod wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:27 pm
couv wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:42 am
Mike Nelson used some magical device to inflate his MB. Why can't our SMBs be inflated with either method like an aircraft life vest?
I have seen a few dsmbs with a CO2 cartridge. But they were huge. Not all dsmbs have the QD style inflator. Piranha has a nice selection and replacement QD mechanisms, plastic and ss. One handed takes practice but two hands is a piece of cake, psssst, zooom and away it goes. So easy.

Why do I not want to close my DSV and orally inflate? Well, because of several things and one of the bigger is that I cannot close the DSV one handed. You again ask why? Because my front teeth are implants courtesy of a drunken driver when I was a child and using them to apply torque to the DSV to open or close it could damage them and that aside, it hurts. And my other hand has my camera and my wife to deal with. :D So, I am going to use the QD and Y fitting to inflate and deploy.

James

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:43 pm

tbone1004 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:55 pm
I agree with the concept of minimalism and that's where I'm trying to understand the balance of an extra hose vs. the splitter. It accomplishes the same thing, so the question is where is the failure most likely to happen and what is the added risk. For me, I would argue that the drysuit hose is actually more simplistic in nature and less prone to failure than the y blocks simply due to less dynamic o-rings. Drysuit hose just runs down along side the left side of your backplate and clips off to a hip d-ring. Pull it out when you want it, leave it down low when you don't.
Tom,

I like my Y fitting, especially on my Kraken, but I also like your suggestion. So, two of my six go to single hose regs are now fitted with an extra QD hose as you suggested. I am still working the idea through though of using another hose, but, yes, good idea. :)

James

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”