SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: My Misadventure

Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:17 pm

Clean and Lube Your DSV
- Hey Nemrod, the last time I used my DSV it was awfully difficult to open and close. After reading your story, I decided I should take it apart and do a little maintenance. I think it was totally dry (no lube) inside because I could not turn the mouthpiece at all. I took off the hoses and soaked the DSV in soapy water, hoping to slick up the O-rings and make it easier to take apart. That must have help because I got it apart and sure enough there was no lubricant present.
- Note To Self... Pay attention to the orientation of the inner tube of the DSV. There are baffles or flow directors in there and the right side is different than the left side. Fortunately there's an arrow molded into it to show airflow direction.
- Inspected the O-rings and they all looked just fine. It wasn't dirty either. I washed and rinsed it just the same. Then I applied Crystal lube to the O-rings and re-assembled it.
- Re-Attached the hoses and checked the DSV. It now turns freely like when it was new. Seems to breathe and exhale just fine, too.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:30 pm

Eben, good to hear you took it apart for service and found it clean. The O-rings do enjoy some silcone! I think the reason mine was so full of sand is that I had actuated it numerous times not to mention that it fell over on the beach and the mouthpiece of course scooped up some more when it flopped over. I am not blaming the DSV, it was my inattention, both the BHB and Commercial (Anglin) Pier are sandy and turbid beach dives and I actuated the DSV multiple times to make sure that I evenly distributed the sand all over inside the mechanism :mrgreen: .

I used 2mmX55mm 70 durometer silicone O-ring for the mouthpiece gasket. I also found some water faucet food grade silicone grease that is supposed to be more resistant to washing. I got it at Ace I think.

James

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:40 pm

NUTZ! I must have screwed up the O-Rings during re-assembly. I was going in for a dive with my Kraken and DSV and it was feeding me water right away. I came out of the water quick, and had a non vintage diver help me swap in my 50 Fathom regulator. I have the original O-ring service kit that came with it so, I'll get it fixed up right. This DSV has worked well for me for at least two years and two Caribbean dive trips. It just needs a little tender loving care and will be back to giving me good service.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”