simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Re: Which backplate, Wings, and Harness?

Thu May 21, 2020 6:46 pm

:D www.vintage scuba stuff.com
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Thu May 21, 2020 11:27 pm

Hi David

I was going to recommend you contact Allan but I see he has already posted. I've used one of his travel harnesses for years. He makes great vintagescubastuff. :)
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

James
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Mon May 25, 2020 11:54 am

davidthornburgh wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:55 pm
James wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:07 pm
I don't have much experience with mine yet, but the first 2 dives on it were with a DIY BPW that I made.... the plate is hand cut from a plastic cutting board. Works like a champ, and cost me $5 at big lots. Cutting your own might be a good short term solution, while you hunt for the perfect answer.
I've only used the cuttingboard plates (my kids use them too) with home made wings, but you can cut the tank strap slots to match whatever wing you want to use.

Respectfully,

James
Thanks, James. Any pattern handy? David
Sorry about the delay. I had hand drawn them, but I will have a better pattern shortly and post it up.
Respectfully,
James

James
Lung Diver

Mon May 25, 2020 12:29 pm

Please forgive the Draftsmanship quality... I'm still learning to produce drawings in FreeCad. My plastic plates start life as a Farberware Basics 11x14 inch cuttingboard. The oval handle in the drawing is the existing handle in the cutting board.
CuttingBoardTemplate.jpg
Feel free to message me any questions. And if you use it, I want pictures and feedback! lol
Here are pics of my teenager's (forgive the single hose reg...)
EricBPW.jpg
EricBPW2.jpg
I made the wing too.... It's a little smallet than your normal production wings.
Respectfully,
James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EWNichol
Diver
First Name: Enoch

Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:47 pm

Hi James, that looks great! Just curious, how did you make the wing?

James
Lung Diver

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:57 am

EWNichol wrote:
Sewn nylon outer shell, 3d printed flanges and elbow, and an Intex swim ring as the bladder... so far so good. I have a couple threads on "the other forum" about it. Right now, my 14 y.o. uses the one pictured, my 10 y.o. has one in blue and white, and I use a red and black one of slightly different design on a VDH plate that was gifted to me.
Respectfully,
James

EWNichol
Diver
First Name: Enoch

Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:09 pm

James wrote:
EWNichol wrote:
Sewn nylon outer shell, 3d printed flanges and elbow, and an Intex swim ring as the bladder... so far so good. I have a couple threads on "the other forum" about it. Right now, my 14 y.o. uses the one pictured, my 10 y.o. has one in blue and white, and I use a red and black one of slightly different design on a VDH plate that was gifted to me.
Respectfully,
James
Very cool, I think I'll try that at some point.

How have the 3D printed parts held up? I've made a few odds and ends for my kit, but I haven't used any long enough to really get a feel for how they age. What materials have you tried?

I'll check out the other forum too.

Thanks

James
Lung Diver

Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:13 pm

EWNichol wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:09 pm
James wrote:
EWNichol wrote:
Respectfully,
James
Very cool, I think I'll try that at some point.

How have the 3D printed parts held up? I've made a few odds and ends for my kit, but I haven't used any long enough to really get a feel for how they age. What materials have you tried?

I'll check out the other forum too.

Thanks
I've been using ABS for all my Scuba parts, and so far they are holding up fine. They won't have the long term durability of molded parts (like I can see the threads degrade some already on flanges that I've disassembled/reassembled multiple times), but as long as they aren't gratuitously abuses they should last from what I'm seeing. Only printed parts I've actually broken have been tri-glides, the beefier replacements I've printed are doing much better.
Respectfully,
James

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”