EberWolf
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Building a Kraken Kit

Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:51 pm

I started diving 10 years ago. Always had an interest in the double hose systems but the LDS always talked them down, old tech, unreliable ect...
I found this site earlier this year and have been educating myself. I've been interested in getting an Argonaut Kraken DHR.

I'd like to continue to use a BDC of some type. The only kind I've used has been a ScubaPro Nighthawk. I looked at a wing setup with a stainless plate at a LDS. The weight of the rig surprised me (heavy). What wing and plate setup would you recommend I use?

Jim

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Building a Kraken Kit

Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:17 pm

Hi Jim, Welcome!

VDH makes a plate designed expressly for DH regs. Many of us have them and love them!

BACK PLATE:

https://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/ ... p/75288352

WING:

https://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/ ... /108134098
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:41 pm

I agree with ScubaLawyer in that the ideal backplate is the VDH plate. It was specifically design for this purpose.

But, it will not hurt you to try it with the Scubapro Nighthawk. It is a back inflate and if it fits you properly, you should be able to adjust the tank down to a good position. You may need to add a crotch strap to hold it down.

The Nighthawk probably has only one tank strap and in the long run you will be better of with the VDH plate, but it will not hurt you to try at first.

On the other hand, the modern backplate is not suitable for a double hose. The plate is too tall and interferes with the regulator. Most of the modern plates are also bend in the center. That was specifically design for a set of double tanks. When this type of plate is used with a single tank, the tank is located too far from the diver. That distance is very detrimental to the performance of a double hose. The DH regulator needs to be a close to the diver as possible.

The VDH plate is intentionally flat and is not very thick. The cutout allows the can in some regulator to actually touch the diver back.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:20 pm

Another vote for the VDH plate. It works great with the Kraken. But vintage diving is a disease and you will want to try other double hose regulators once you get started. The VDH plate lets you get the most out of ANY double hose regulator. From a Voit 50 Fathom, DA Aquamaster to a Dacor R-4, they all work well with the VDH plate. :D

EberWolf
Lung Diver

Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:50 pm

I'm on the list to get a Kraken from the Dec build.

In the chance that I can't get a Argonaut Universal Back Plate for Double Hose Regulators do you think this would work?

https://shop.poseidon.com/shop/product/3727

Thanks
Jim

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:41 pm

EberWolf wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:50 pm
I'm on the list to get a Kraken from the Dec build.

In the chance that I can't get a Argonaut Universal Back Plate for Double Hose Regulators do you think this would work?

https://shop.poseidon.com/shop/product/3727

Thanks
Jim
Hi Jim, In the photo I can't see the back of the unit where the tank attaches. Not sure if it would work or not.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:10 am

$365 USD? :shock:
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:56 pm

I would not purchase that contraption, if it worked it is still a contraption and if it does not work it is an expensive contraption with little resale value.

There are several soft plates, Oxy makes one, OMS I think and several others. They are just a stiff multi-layered fabric with reinforcement. Before the VDH plate was available I used (and sometimes still do) the Oxy soft (travel) plate. Because it is fabric it can bend and shape itself to accommodate the double hose regulator easily and they are lightweight for travel. The Oxy et al will accept any standard wing including the VDH Argonaut wings (which are fantastic value). And I like, at least my wife M.C. does, enjoy the VDH supplied lightweight nylon D-rings and harness (on her VDH plate with a single hose regulator). Yep, that is right, the VDH plate works as well or better than any existing hard plate with a single tank configuration regardless of the regulator hose count.

Off into the blue I go, see y'all around. Ya know, it could be a good sig line, like, if anymore of the do-it-right DIR crowd on Scubaboard who told me I was doing it (all) wrong decease themselves while diving, I may have to return to that forum also, just saying.

Nem
Proudly DIW

EberWolf
Lung Diver

Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:13 am

I'm not necessarily looking for a soft plate, just one that will be compatible with the DHR. The Plate and Harness are the last "major" bits I need.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:52 am

I am sorry, maybe I misunderstood your quest or perhaps you misunderstood my suggestion? I am suggesting that you consider a soft plate like the OxyCheq which sells for around $65 rather than the very expensive, likely not suitable contraption, linked to in one of your posts above, whilst waiting on VDH to get around to getting some more plate built and in stock in the VDH store.

The Oxy soft travel plate WILL work with a Argonaut Kraken or other twin hose regulator. Your results I cannot guarantee and your preferences, are that, yours, so you will have to decide, cheap and workable in the interim, or expensive and not likely workable for your purpose stated.

Nem

EberWolf
Lung Diver

Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:19 pm

Nem,

I looked at the OxyCheq soft plate. Their site says it's only compatible with their 400$ wing. Do you have any experience with their soft plate with other wings?

I'm on the latest batch list (Dec/Jan) to get my Kraken, so I have some time before I need everything. The dive shops here are somewhat limited so what I find is through a google search. I'm still on the research phase while I wait to see if I can get VDH back plate.

I do appreciate all your advice.

Jim

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:40 pm

I do not know where you saw that. But I have used my Oxy soft travel plate with several wings including the VDH wings. It has standard hole spacing as do Oxy wings so they should fit on anything with the usual hole spacing. There are a few other brands out there I think other than OxyCheq.

No tech diving plate (the bent kind with a ridge in the middle) is going to work with a double hose regulator. Well, you can but the cans will be up behind your head. :shock:

James

EberWolf
Lung Diver

Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:33 pm

Just to be sure we're looking at the same thing.

https://www.oxycheq.com/oxycheq-ultra-l ... -blue.html

The forth bullet down on the description.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:25 am

Eberwold, yes, that is like mine. I do note they have changed, it appears perhaps, the lower cinch buckles on the waist strap. I did not rig mine per Oxy instructions, but more like the VDH plate is rigged, this being before the VDH plate, which I now prefer of course. Beats me why they say it will only fit Oxy wings. I used two stainless sex bolts in the upper holes and one in the lower holes to secure the wing to the plate. I then routed the harness much like a standard Hog rig. I will try to get a photo if I can remember too and if it would help you showing how I did mine.

James

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:58 am

I don't know how you did it, but I can't get the Oxy soft plate to sit close to my back at my shoulder blades. Probably my [excessive] height plays the biggest role in that (it is tiny on me, and the waist belt is above my belly button). Finished rigging it last night, and it is no-bueno.... It will be a slick little single hose rig as that closeness isn't so critical. Paired it with a older DGX 23# wing (open panel), and have the OMS soft stabilizer in the matrix. Drives me nuts as all 3 hive slightly different spacing on the grommets. 11" industry standard.... yeah, right...

Now to finish my FP from Eric, and see if it works. I always have my VDH Vintage Plate to fall back to.....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”