Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Re: Dacor 4/800 Balanced Conversion to DH

Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:54 pm

I'll probably dive it this w/e at the Monterey Vintage Dive Event.

Vancetp
Master Diver

Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:37 pm

Well, that didn't happen due to several problems (not with the regulator), but I did pool test it last week, and it worked great!

ImageOlympic make bubbles by Vancetp, on Flickr

Boring for you but exciting for me! Click on the pic for an exciting 6' dive to the unknown! Yes, the reg is too high, but I'm working on a Dacor plastic pac that will work well with DH. I needed a crotch strap to hold the tank down since it kept riding up.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:06 pm

Glad to hear it's working well after all your efforts :D
The older I get the better I was.

Vancetp
Master Diver

Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:21 pm

I'm excited that SwimJim is going to be testing out my Dacor DH conversion when he gets one of my first stages with custom second stage fitted into some DH cans. As an amateur modder/novice diver, I am really looking forward to having an expert diver like Jim diving one of my regs (relieved that he'll be carrying a backup reg and bottle of gas).

As you know, I bravely dived a prototype into the unknown, reaching depths up to and possibly beyond an exhilarating 6 fow (maybe all the way to 7' when lying on the bottom of the pool). It worked well. I have high hopes. Be gentle, Jim!

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:22 pm

Well after reading my post Vancetp made me an offer to sell me a converted 1st stage and the second stage he built for it. I ordered FX/Trieste cans , a diaphragm and a duck bill from Rob at the scuba museum, http://www.thescubamuseum.com/. I added a USD curved mouth piece and hose set to complete the reg. I assembled the first and second stage to the cans and reset the IP to 135. As I dive cold water, I tend to have my IP set a little lower. With that done I put everything together. I did not measure cracking effort, but on the bench the reg seemed to breath pretty sweet.
Today was the Pearl harbor day dive up at Fish Creek marina in Door county Wisconsin. Air temp was 39, water temp was 37. I used a dry suit of course. The Olympic 400 has two LP ports and two HP ports. I ran my dry suit with an LP port and an Spg. I used the drysuit for buoyancy control. Everything was mounted to a steel 72 and a VDH back plate. I also slung a pony just in case. I didn't need it. The regulator performed ABOVE expectations. I did a twenty minute dive with a max depth of about twelve feet. Okay not too deep, but that kind of temperature will usually kill anything that is not up to snuff. The regulator was smooth and provided ample air. Next Spring I will take it wreck diving and to Fortune Pond for further evaluation. I think this is the double hoser that would have changed things for DACOR. At least in the double hoser catagory. It breaths better than an R-4 AND has HP and LP ports!
Nicely done Vanetp! I did take a couple above water pic's today, but as luck would have it, I cannot get them off my cell phone. I will post some when I do.

Swimjim

Vancetp
Master Diver

Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:52 pm

That's great news! I have high hopes for the Dacor Olympic doublehose, and it seems to be proving itself. Thanks for the report, Jim! I'm hoping to dive mine soon, but storms and colds have kept me from testing in Monterey. Maybe in a week or two.

I would never get around to testing in freezing conditions, being out here in California where the diving temps are 50+, so I'm happy to see some testing beyond what I'd get to. Now, if it only performs as well at 130 fow as it does in 7-12....

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:35 pm

Finally got the cell phone to give up the topside shots from the dive last weekend..
12081903.jpg
12081904.jpg
12081905.jpg
A tad chilly, but a fun day! :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vancetp
Master Diver

Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:17 pm

swimjim wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:35 pm
Finally got the cell phone to give up the topside shots from the dive last weekend..12081903.jpg12081904.jpg12081905.jpg

A tad chilly, but a fun day! :lol: :lol:
Brrr! I am reluctant to dive 52 degrees at Monterey right now. I admire your desire to dive in the ice and snow.

But won't emulate you.....

I anxiously await the wreck dive and Fortune Pond reports of the VTP Oly's performance. I'm hoping to do my own evaluation in the next couple weeks in 40-50 fow at the Breakwater, San Carlos Beach, Monterey Bay. I am hoping to test my Titan II conversion as well.

Vancetp
Master Diver

Fri May 15, 2020 10:32 pm

I got a new mill this week, and I'm making some more Olympic DH conversions, just to dial it in. The mill is so much more accurate than my drill press/xy table. I also am making more volcano orifices and second stage bodies in order to get things right. I believe I've got the ultimate setup!

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”