EberWolf
First Name: James

Building a Kraken Kit

Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:51 pm

I started diving 10 years ago. Always had an interest in the double hose systems but the LDS always talked them down, old tech, unreliable ect...
I found this site earlier this year and have been educating myself. I've been interested in getting an Argonaut Kraken DHR.

I'd like to continue to use a BDC of some type. The only kind I've used has been a ScubaPro Nighthawk. I looked at a wing setup with a stainless plate at a LDS. The weight of the rig surprised me (heavy). What wing and plate setup would you recommend I use?

Jim

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Building a Kraken Kit

Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:17 pm

Hi Jim, Welcome!

VDH makes a plate designed expressly for DH regs. Many of us have them and love them!

BACK PLATE:

https://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/ ... p/75288352

WING:

https://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/ ... /108134098
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:41 pm

I agree with ScubaLawyer in that the ideal backplate is the VDH plate. It was specifically design for this purpose.

But, it will not hurt you to try it with the Scubapro Nighthawk. It is a back inflate and if it fits you properly, you should be able to adjust the tank down to a good position. You may need to add a crotch strap to hold it down.

The Nighthawk probably has only one tank strap and in the long run you will be better of with the VDH plate, but it will not hurt you to try at first.

On the other hand, the modern backplate is not suitable for a double hose. The plate is too tall and interferes with the regulator. Most of the modern plates are also bend in the center. That was specifically design for a set of double tanks. When this type of plate is used with a single tank, the tank is located too far from the diver. That distance is very detrimental to the performance of a double hose. The DH regulator needs to be a close to the diver as possible.

The VDH plate is intentionally flat and is not very thick. The cutout allows the can in some regulator to actually touch the diver back.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:20 pm

Another vote for the VDH plate. It works great with the Kraken. But vintage diving is a disease and you will want to try other double hose regulators once you get started. The VDH plate lets you get the most out of ANY double hose regulator. From a Voit 50 Fathom, DA Aquamaster to a Dacor R-4, they all work well with the VDH plate. :D

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”