Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Lisa Fulton

Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:07 am

I didn't get a scan of her card so I only have the picture from it. She will be along later today to post her bio.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Re: Lisa Fulton

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:37 am

Hi Gang~ I just finished up our annual Veteran's Day Celebration at the National Navy UDT-SEAL Museum today. We hosted 20,000 visitors over the last 3 days, with Ross Perot as guest speaker, the Navy Parachute team and SEAL Team XX (I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you :) who came and demonstrated their operational capabilities with Humvees, weapons, K-9s and explosives. Great Weekend for all.

It's pretty hard to follow the previous Featured Divers, they have such great stories and histories of interesting dive careers.....I tip my snorkel to them :)

I grew up in Athens, GA, and never learned to swim. My parents didn't like the water, I didn't have a pool or live near one. In fact, as I got older, I developed a kind of water phobia..I didn't even like to put my head under. However, I never missed an episode of Jacques Cousteau, ever. I was glued to that show (also Star Trek, etc, so yea, NERD alert) We moved to central Florida in my teens, and did like every other teenager, went to the beach, but never went in the ocean. A few years later when I met my husband Bill, he was salty (and still is). He grew up on a sailboat with his dad, fishing, diving, etc. and about 2 years into our marriage, he said "Let's get certified". Of course I refused (I would rather shave my head with a cheese grater), and he went on to take his open water course. After he finished, he went off with his dive buddy on day trips to Alexander Springs, etc. After about a year of this, I was tired of hearing about how great his trips were and decided not to let him continue without me. I talked a coworker, Lynn, into taking the OW with me, and as soon as I geared up and took my first breath in a pool, I was hooked. Of course then I was told we had to take our masks off underwater, I almost quit right then and there, but managed to make it through the course. Lynn and I continued to dive around central FL, while Bill and his buddy took AOW, etc. Fast Forward 26 years.....

We've had gaps in diving over the years, with kids, school, moving back to GA for a while, but when we came back to FL the kids were older they wanted to dive, so I took OW with them again in 2002. They were naturals, like their Dad. Damn kids...they make it look so easy. Since then, I've have been diving steady with 75-100 dives per year, all recreational, no major events. It was kind of getting routine actually. Until I started reading SB's vintage diving section a few years ago, then found VDH. WOW! NO BC! 2 Hoses like Jacques! REALLY! I'm in! One year later, and I'm fully assimilated! When I purchased my first Phoenix, Bill said,"You aren't USING that are you?" Yep. Then we went on a charter dive to 90ft, and he said," You aren't USING that for DEEP dives, are you?" Oh no, I married the Scuba Police. Hahaha! I purchased his very own Phoenix for Father's Day, and now He's Hooked. Mission Accomplished! Most of you know my small reg collection and I'm always looking for more! Thanks Bryan, VDH, all you guys for teaching me so many things and being there to answer my questions and a lot of times, just making me laugh!!!
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:54 am

Nice write up Lisa! I'll have to come down and check out that museum sometime.

Jim

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:47 am

Fabulous write-up Lisa :D

I can certainly relate to the part about getting into vintage equipment diving, as I'm almost a year into it as well :D

Now, on a different tangent: How'd you land such a cool job as working for the UDT/SEAL Museum?

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:16 am

Lisa, thank you for sharing your story with us. Like swimjim, I really must make it a point to visit the National Navy UDT- SEAL Museum

Remember, you're in good company. The list is long, but illustrious of those who have become fully assimilated into the world of double hose diving. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

8dust
Master Diver

Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:20 am

Nice write-up Lisa, looking forward to meeting you in person someday.

BTW… hardly look old enough to have been married 26 years! :)

Fred
Freddo
NAVED member #201

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:28 pm

I think I may have spoken to you when I visited the museum a couple of years ago. Thanks for sharing your story.
Captain

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:06 pm

8dust wrote:... BTW… hardly look old enough to have been married 26 years! :)

Fred
Having had the distinct pleasure of actually meeting Lisa at Silver Springs, I totally agree with this statement. :D
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Aileron
Master Diver

Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:38 pm

Aw, shucks, you guys! OK, how much do I owe you all? :D

Actually Bill and I have been married 29 years, and counting. He's my ultimate dive buddy and always has my 6, and I have his. He's the best husband, father and friend I could have hoped for.

As for landing a job at the SEAL Museum? One word... LUCK. I was just getting laid off and they had a job opening. I work my a$$ off, but it's weekend's like this past one that make it all worth while. I've met 4 star Admirals, SEAL Rudy Boesch from Survivor, Ross Perot, Medal of Honor Recipients, NOGI Award Winners (BERNIE)etc. It's a dream job. I hope you guys can come up someday, there's an excellent reef about 75 yards offshore at the museum.....it's LOBSTER HEAVEN!!

Lisa
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:09 am

Hi Lisa; I enjoyed reading your write-up. The comment you made about being hooked after your first breath from scuba in the pool made me remember a time waaaaaaay back when. That first time of being able to breathe underwater gets em everytime! :D Terry
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:44 am

Great write up Lisa.
Do your "other" kids ever get jealous and wish you would hug them as much? :D
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:58 pm

Nice write up! I enjoyed meeting you at Sea Hunt, and hopefully we can dive together soon! It is always nice to grow our ranks with such knowledgeable people.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

scubasteve59
Master Diver
First Name: Steve

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:10 pm

Very nice Lisa, you are an inspiration to all of us sea dwellers!

Steve C.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:47 am

Married for 29 yrs....did you get married at like -2 yo? I would have never guessed it. It was a pleasure to meet you at Seahunt this year and we expect to see you at Sand Dog.
Oh, and you still owe me a beer. :)
Herman

Aileron
Master Diver

Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:46 pm

Herman wrote:Married for 29 yrs....did you get married at like -2 yo? I would have never guessed it. It was a pleasure to meet you at Seahunt this year and we expect to see you at Sand Dog.
Oh, and you still owe me a beer. :)
Why Yes Herman, -2 sounds about right. :D

I definitely will be at "the Dog" this year, and I owe you SEVERAL beers now. It's compounded interest on my outstanding debt.
NAVED #205

Return to “NAVED Featured Diver”